Data import to a Dataset linked to a combination of categories

Dear DHIS users/developers,

As you know, we have a feature in DHIS that allows a dataset to be linked to a “Combination of categories”.

In the data entry form, these category combinations will be rendered as dropdown lists in addition to the Org Unit and period.

These category combinations are configured as “Attributes” so they could be linked to the dataset in that way.

This is a very good feature and works well from the web user interface data entry forms.

However, if we want to import data using xml/csv file, this doesn’t work as needed. That is because the import template does not support any category combinations defined in the dataset. It only works if the dataset is configured with the “default” category combination.

My question è is there any way that we can import data to this kind of dataset and set the values of the category combination attributes from the input file (xml/csv).

Has anyone faced this issue and found a solution for it? If it is it a bug in the system, do you know if there is any plan to fix it?

Awaiting your feedback please…

Note that I am using the latest version of DHIS 2.15 Rev. 15181

Thanks,

Maheed

HI Maheed,

good spot and you are correct. We simply haven’t implemented it yet due to time constraints. We have a blueprint for it here. We will prioritize it and let you know when its done.

regards,

Lars

···

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Maheed Ramadan maheed.ramadan@nrc.no wrote:

As you know, we have a feature in DHIS that allows a dataset to be linked to a “Combination of categories”.

In the data entry form, these category combinations will be rendered as dropdown lists in addition to the Org Unit and period.

These category combinations are configured as “Attributes” so they could be linked to the dataset in that way.

This is a very good feature and works well from the web user interface data entry forms.

However, if we want to import data using xml/csv file, this doesn’t work as needed. That is because the import template does not support any category combinations defined in the dataset. It only works if the dataset is configured with the “default” category combination.

My question è is there any way that we can import data to this kind of dataset and set the values of the category combination attributes from the input file (xml/csv).

Has anyone faced this issue and found a solution for it? If it is it a bug in the system, do you know if there is any plan to fix it?

Thanks,

Maheed

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Hello Lars,

Thanks for the quick response. Hoping this issue can be resolved soon.

One question please. When do you think the next version of DHIS (i.e. 2.16) will be released?

Thanks again.

Maheed

···

HI Maheed,

good spot and you are correct. We simply haven’t implemented it yet due to time constraints. We have a blueprint for it
here
. We will prioritize it and let you know when its done.

regards,

Lars

Thanks,

Maheed

Hi there,

according to schedule we will release on July 4th. It seems that we will need some extra days to wrap up the last features.

cheers

Lars

···

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Maheed Ramadan maheed.ramadan@nrc.no wrote:

Hello Lars,

One question please. When do you think the next version of DHIS (i.e. 2.16) will be released?

Thanks again.

Maheed

Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 11:12 AM

To: Maheed Ramadan

Cc: dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net; dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Data import to a Dataset linked to a combination of categories

HI Maheed,

good spot and you are correct. We simply haven’t implemented it yet due to time constraints. We have a blueprint for it
here

regards,

Lars

Thanks,

Maheed

Hello Lars,

As you know, we are still investigating the DHIS system to see if we can use it in our organization.

Actually, we started implementing a small pilot project in one country area and we are trying to collect the data and move it into DHIS and then analyze it and create some reports.

A requirement in our design is to have all our datasets be linked to a category combination attribute which allows us to add another dimension to our data entry forms. The extra dimension we need to specify is the actual “Project” that will be linked to the data in addition to the org unit and period dimensions.

Since we have a lot of data that we need to push into DHIS, we need a quick and fast solution for this and the only path we have is to import this data from an external source (i.e. Excel/CSV file). As you know, the data import tool still does not support datasets with custom category combination.

Honestly I was following up and reviewing all recent updates to the system including bugs and blueprints and I was shocked when I found that this bug è

(Import) Attribute option combos in import
has been moved/postponed to milestone 2.17 !!!

For us, this is a very important & critical feature to have for the reasons mentioned above. Our decision to use DHIS is highly based on the import functionality. Not having this functionality will prevent us to move forward.

We were hoping that this will be resolved in milestone 2.16 so waiting for this release was not a big deal. However, this is a problem if we have to wait 3-4 months until 2.17 is released.

Sorry Lars for all these details. I don’t know if this issue could be revised from your side and be included in the upcoming release? We like the system and we appreciate your support with all the developers contributing to make it successful.

As a final request, is there any possible solution that we could use to get data in batch into DHIS, taking into consideration the requirement we have? This could be a turnaround or a temporary solution until the issue is resolved.

Thanks a lot.

Hope to hear from you soon….

Maheed.

···

Hi there,

according to schedule we will release on July 4th. It seems that we will need some extra days to wrap up the last features.

cheers

Lars

Hello Lars,

Thanks again.

Maheed

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Data import to a Dataset linked to a combination of categories

HI Maheed,

here

regards,

Lars

Thanks,

Maheed

One possible solution is to simply transform your data directly to a form which can be imported directly into the database itself. If you are doing a one off or supervised data import, it should be relatively simple to transform the data to import to SQL and inject it directly, while this feature is implemented.

Regards,

Jason

···

Sent from my mobile

On Jul 22, 2014 10:42 AM, “Maheed Ramadan” maheed.ramadan@nrc.no wrote:

Hello Lars,

As you know, we are still investigating the DHIS system to see if we can use it in our organization.

Actually, we started implementing a small pilot project in one country area and we are trying to collect the data and move it into DHIS and then analyze it and create some reports.

A requirement in our design is to have all our datasets be linked to a category combination attribute which allows us to add another dimension to our data entry forms. The extra dimension we need to specify is the actual “Project” that will be linked to the data in addition to the org unit and period dimensions.

Since we have a lot of data that we need to push into DHIS, we need a quick and fast solution for this and the only path we have is to import this data from an external source (i.e. Excel/CSV file). As you know, the data import tool still does not support datasets with custom category combination.

Honestly I was following up and reviewing all recent updates to the system including bugs and blueprints and I was shocked when I found that this bug è

For us, this is a very important & critical feature to have for the reasons mentioned above. Our decision to use DHIS is highly based on the import functionality. Not having this functionality will prevent us to move forward.

We were hoping that this will be resolved in milestone 2.16 so waiting for this release was not a big deal. However, this is a problem if we have to wait 3-4 months until 2.17 is released.

Sorry Lars for all these details. I don’t know if this issue could be revised from your side and be included in the upcoming release? We like the system and we appreciate your support with all the developers contributing to make it successful.

As a final request, is there any possible solution that we could use to get data in batch into DHIS, taking into consideration the requirement we have? This could be a turnaround or a temporary solution until the issue is resolved.

Thanks a lot.

Maheed.

Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 12:17 PM

Hi there,

cheers

Lars

Hello Lars,

Thanks again.

Maheed

HI Maheed,

here

regards,

Lars

Thanks,

Maheed

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Hi Maheed,

I agree with you. I have implemented it now in trunk for XML and CSV. Will be part of 2.16. You can try it from the CI server in 40 min:

https://apps.dhis2.org/ci/job/dhis-trunk/

regards,

Lars

···

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Maheed Ramadan maheed.ramadan@nrc.no wrote:

Hello Lars,

Thanks a lot.

Maheed.

Hi there,

cheers

Lars

Hello Lars,

Thanks again.

Maheed

HI Maheed,

here

regards,

Lars

Thanks,

Maheed

Hi Lars,

Thanks very much for considering this issue and including it in the next version. I will check it and see how it works.

In relation to this bug/fix, there is one place that should also be fixed. This is when you navigate to a Dataset (configured with an attribute category combo), then try to Get PDF for Data entry. It turns out that the generated PDF is missing the option to select the attribute combination. It only includes the PERIOD & ORG Units.

It will be perfect if this can also be resolved in 2.16 because using PDF method for importing data is also very important and useful.

On last question. Any idea when will 2.16 be released?

Thank you again for your continuous support.

Best Regards,

Maheed

···

Hi Maheed,

I agree with you. I have implemented it now in trunk for XML and CSV. Will be part of 2.16. You can try it from the CI server in 40 min:

regards,

Lars

Hello Lars,

Thanks a lot.

Maheed.

Hi there,

cheers

Lars

Hello Lars,

Thanks again.

Maheed

HI Maheed,

here

regards,

Lars

Thanks,

Maheed

Hi Maheed,

okay thanks. Can’t promise to fix that right now but we will implement it and back-port to 2.16 shortly.

best regards,

Lars

···

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Maheed Ramadan maheed.ramadan@nrc.no wrote:

Hi Lars,

Thanks very much for considering this issue and including it in the next version. I will check it and see how it works.

In relation to this bug/fix, there is one place that should also be fixed. This is when you navigate to a Dataset (configured with an attribute category combo), then try to Get PDF for Data entry. It turns out that the generated PDF is missing the option to select the attribute combination. It only includes the PERIOD & ORG Units.

It will be perfect if this can also be resolved in 2.16 because using PDF method for importing data is also very important and useful.

On last question. Any idea when will 2.16 be released?

Thank you again for your continuous support.

Best Regards,

Maheed

Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:46 PM

Hi Maheed,

regards,

Lars

Hello Lars,

Thanks a lot.

Maheed.

Hi there,

cheers

Lars

Hello Lars,

Thanks again.

Maheed

HI Maheed,

here

regards,

Lars

Thanks,

Maheed