Continue getting errors on android tracker app

I am getting errors from several users using android tracker app on mobile devices.

2 Likes

Hello @cdziwa,

Could you please explain to us how the error comes about; and also share with us the error details so that our @dhis2-android team can be able to check it out and advise.

Best,
James.

Thanks James,

We have a team of individuals using mobile devices and this happens when they try to enter data however, this happens intermittently. They were using the same internet connection and so at some point thought it could be weak connection causing this. However, I do not have any technical details regarding the error besides the image l have shared. I hope that helps.

Kind regards,

2 Likes

@cdziwa ,

We’ve had lots of those errors too - fewer on version 1.1.1 than on 1.1.0, but they still happen (erratically, as you say - I have not been able to see any patterns in those crashes).

So we are waiting for version 1.2.0, which hopefully should be more stable. @marta et al (android team) indicated it would be released shortly.

Otherwise, get those users to click on “error details” and then send you the content - it migtht provide some clues.

Also, when you report Android app issues, remember to

• specify the device you are using, including how much RAM it has (2GB is the practical minimum)
  • specify the android version you are using (4.4 kit kat is theoretically minimum, but in practice use 6 or above.)

We have been testing on android devices with 3 or 4 GB ram + android 7.0 and 8.1, and those erratic crashes still happens so the main problem is with the code, but nevertheless: always specify the environment (just like what you have do to when logging a JIRA issue).

Regards
Calle

2 Likes

Thank you for the update @Calle_Hedberg :innocent:

We have seen this error as well on 1.1.1. It appears on many devices when the user logs in for the first time on Android.

We hope this can be resolved. Some issues seem to be related to the Android version in use so kindly clarify the version of Android you are using. We have for example seen more issues for devices running API level 19 (Kitkat 4.4) and would like clarity from the android team as pertaining to the currently supported versions of Android.

Regards,

R

2 Likes

Hi,

Note that whereas 4.4 Kit Kat is the prescribed “minimum” version, the Android team has stated repeatedly that they RECOMMEND version 6.0 or later (which at least I understand to mean that users on Kit Kat should expect more problems). My guess is also that few 4.4 devices have more than 1GB of RAM, which is also a stated “minimum” - they RECOMMEND 2GB or more.

The Android team is busy with final testing of 1.2.0, so it should be released this or next week (if the universe plays along…)

Regards

Calle

2 Likes

Hi all,

all comments have been more or less addressed already. Just to add that we receive and investigate all crashes through crashlitycs. If your issues doesn’t get fixed in .1.2.0 you can report the issue giving us your URL and the device so that we can easily trace and identify your specific crash.

@Ranga crashes in a fresh log in… they are usually a configuration issue. But sometimes the error is difficult to identify, we can investigate better with the information mentioned above.

As Calle said, we keep on testing 1.2.0!

Best,
Marta

2 Likes

Hi All,

Thank you for the feedback. We are using Android version 5.1 and have RAM of 1GB. Once these errors happen again l will get more details and share. Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Chengetai

2 Likes