Configurable properties?

Hi,

in some contexts I've had a recurring problem that they forget to set the number of connections in the db pool when they deploy a new war (initially the problem was that they didn't know how to set the pool size). Since this as of now must be set in beans.xml inside the support-hibernate jar inside the war, I can understand why that happens, especially if you are managing multiple instances with differing db needs.

A simple solution to this is to introduce a way to let properties like these have default values and at the same time make it easy to override per instance basis without changing the war. The inlined patch (to make sure it gets through) lets properties be optionally overridden in a $DHIS_HOME/dhis2.properties file.

We do want most things like this to be in the database and editable in the ui, but this solution could also be combined with those solutions. More importantly, it can be utilized before any connection with the db has been establised, and I think maybe this kind of mechanism would fit better than the hibernate configuration file we have today (which I'm still a bit unsure exactly how is used).

It's a quick suggestion to ponder, anyway.

Jo

=== modified file 'dhis-2/dhis-support/dhis-support-external/src/main/resources/META-INF/dhis/beans.xml'
--- dhis-2/dhis-support/dhis-support-external/src/main/resources/META-INF/dhis/beans.xml 2010-10-29 12:19:15 +0000
+++ dhis-2/dhis-support/dhis-support-external/src/main/resources/META-INF/dhis/beans.xml 2011-06-22 18:23:50 +0000
@@ -21,4 +21,27 @@
     <property name="systemProperty" value="dhis2.home"/>
   </bean>

+ <!--
+ Set up DHIS2 to:
+ 1. Load any /META-INF/dhis/default.properties files defined in modules
+ 2. Load the $DHIS2_HOME/dhis2.properties file for optional deployment specific overriding of properties.
+ -->

···

+
+ <bean id="defaultPropsConfigurer" class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer">
+ <property name="locations">
+ <list>
+ <value>classpath*:/META-INF/dhis/default.properties</value>
+ <bean class="org.springframework.core.io.FileSystemResource">
+ <constructor-arg>
+ <bean class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.MethodInvokingFactoryBean">
+ <property name="targetObject" ref="locationManager" />
+ <property name="targetMethod" value="getFileForReading" />
+ <property name="arguments" value="dhis2.properties" />
+ </bean>
+ </constructor-arg>
+ </bean>
+ </list>
+ </property>
+ <property name="ignoreResourceNotFound" value="true" />
+
</beans>

=== modified file 'dhis-2/dhis-support/dhis-support-hibernate/src/main/resources/META-INF/dhis/beans.xml'
--- dhis-2/dhis-support/dhis-support-hibernate/src/main/resources/META-INF/dhis/beans.xml 2011-01-28 21:44:54 +0000
+++ dhis-2/dhis-support/dhis-support-hibernate/src/main/resources/META-INF/dhis/beans.xml 2011-06-22 14:48:11 +0000
@@ -57,9 +57,9 @@
     <property name="jdbcUrl" ref="url"/>
     <property name="user" ref="username"/>
     <property name="password" ref="password"/>
- <property name="acquireIncrement" value="6"/>
- <property name="maxPoolSize" value="40"/>
- <property name="maxIdleTime" value="7200"/>
+ <property name="acquireIncrement" value="${support.hibernate.aquireIncrement}"/>
+ <property name="maxPoolSize" value="${support.hibernate.maxPoolSize}"/>
+ <property name="maxIdleTime" value="${support.hibernate.maxIdleTime}"/>
   </bean>

<bean id="jdbcTemplate" class="org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate">

=== added file 'dhis-2/dhis-support/dhis-support-hibernate/src/main/resources/META-INF/dhis/default.properties'
--- dhis-2/dhis-support/dhis-support-hibernate/src/main/resources/META-INF/dhis/default.properties 1970-01-01 00:00:00 +0000
+++ dhis-2/dhis-support/dhis-support-hibernate/src/main/resources/META-INF/dhis/default.properties 2011-06-22 14:20:55 +0000
@@ -0,0 +1,3 @@
+support.hibernate.maxPoolSize=40
+support.hibernate.maxIdleTime=7200
+support.hibernate.aquireIncrement=6
\ No newline at end of file

Hi,

thanks for the patch and I think its a good idea and clever solution.

My feeling is that if we are going to introduce a dhis2.properties file we should make all database properties configurable through it, and that people who adopt it should be able to get rid of hibernate.properties altogether. Since we are close to release (a moving target at the moment…) this is not something to include right now and since the next is in a few months it will give us time to make it more complete… Anyway it might be time for a dhis2.properties which can be expanded and include things such as memory available for caching, number of cpu cores available (new datamart stuff coming up) and so on…

Lars

···

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Jo Størset storset@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

in some contexts I’ve had a recurring problem that they forget to set the number of connections in the db pool when they deploy a new war (initially the problem was that they didn’t know how to set the pool size). Since this as of now must be set in beans.xml inside the support-hibernate jar inside the war, I can understand why that happens, especially if you are managing multiple instances with differing db needs.

A simple solution to this is to introduce a way to let properties like these have default values and at the same time make it easy to override per instance basis without changing the war. The inlined patch (to make sure it gets through) lets properties be optionally overridden in a $DHIS_HOME/dhis2.properties file.

We do want most things like this to be in the database and editable in the ui, but this solution could also be combined with those solutions. More importantly, it can be utilized before any connection with the db has been establised, and I think maybe this kind of mechanism would fit better than the hibernate configuration file we have today (which I’m still a bit unsure exactly how is used).

It’s a quick suggestion to ponder, anyway.

Jo

=== modified file ‘dhis-2/dhis-support/dhis-support-external/src/main/resources/META-INF/dhis/beans.xml’

— dhis-2/dhis-support/dhis-support-external/src/main/resources/META-INF/dhis/beans.xml 2010-10-29 12:19:15 +0000

+++ dhis-2/dhis-support/dhis-support-external/src/main/resources/META-INF/dhis/beans.xml 2011-06-22 18:23:50 +0000

@@ -21,4 +21,27 @@

<property name="systemProperty" value="dhis2.home"/>