CLARITY ON DEFINITIONS FOR COUNTS IN PROGRAM INDICATORS

Can someone please define for me what i expect to get when i create an indicator based on the following in the expression description:

1-Count of events,what will the indicator count

2-Count of enrollment,will this count all enrollments within the program

3-Count of tracked entity instances,what will this count.

I am saying this because when i extract enrollment data using Events Reports,i get a figure that is different from that which is generated by the program indicator whose expression description is “Count of enrollment”

A simple definition will help out,.

Thanks

Stanley

1 Like

Hi Stanley!

You possibly already read this chapter in the docs:

26.4.1.7. About variables

We can probably expand a bit more in the docs on how the different counts work. Here is a bit more of an explanation for the different counts.

Count of events(event mode): When looking at this in an pivot, it counts the number of events that

- has an event date within the given period

- happened at the orgunit(s) included in the report

- matches any other filters you might have defined in the "Filter" part of the program indicator.

Count of enrollments(event mode): Is counting a subset of the “Count of events” above. When several events is linked to one enrollment, each of these groups will only be counted as one. An alternative narrative way of explaining it is that you count how many different enrollments that is represented with at least one event within the given period and orgunit(s).

Count of tracked entity instances(event mode): Is counting a subset of the “Count of enrollments” above. When several events is linked to one enrollment, and several enrollments is linked to one tracked entity instance, all these are grouped and counted on the tracked entity instance level. An alternative narrative way of explaining it is that you count how many different tracked entity instances that is represented with at least one event within the given period and orgunit(s).

As you can see, all these counts is by default founded in the individual events that happened within the reporting boundaries. In 2.26 we added another mode for program indicators in tracker programs called “Enrollment” mode. This is opposed to the “Event” mode that is explained above, and that is the default mode for all program indicators. Enrollment mode might be useful in some cases when working with tracker data. If you select “Enrollment” as the mode for the program indicator, the enrollment itself is the foundation for all counting, expressions and filtering. Here is how the counts behave in enrollment mode:

Count of events(enrollment mode): Not yet supported enrollment mode, but improvement issue is registered: https://jira.dhis2.org/browse/DHIS2-1068?jql=text%20~%20%22count%22

Count of enrollments(enrollment mode): When looking at this in an pivot, it counts the number of enrollments that

- has an **enrollment** date within the given period

- **was** **enrolled** at the orgunit(s) included in the report

- matches any other filters you might have defined in the "Filter" part of the program indicator.

Count of tracked entity instances(enrollment mode): Is counting a subset of the “Count of enrollments” above. When several enrollments is linked to one tracked entity instance, all these are groups are counted as one. An alternative narrative way of explaining it is that you count how many different tracked entity instances that was enrolled within the

Hope this explanation can help you when looking into your mentioned difference in numbers between event reports and program indicators. If you want further assistance on this part, please provide more detail on the indicator definition and the event reports query.

Best regards,

Markus

···
  1. apr. 2017 kl. 09.19 skrev Stanley Kalyati skalyati@gmail.com:

Can someone please define for me what i expect to get when i create an indicator based on the following in the expression description:

I am saying this because when i extract enrollment data using Events Reports,i get a figure that is different from that which is generated by the program indicator whose expression description is “Count of enrollment”

Thanks

Stanley

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users
Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Thank you so much Markus,this clears it all.Every day is a learning experience.

My regards

Stanley.

···

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Markus Bekken markus@dhis2.org wrote:

Hi Stanley!

You possibly already read this chapter in the docs:

26.4.1.7. About variables

We can probably expand a bit more in the docs on how the different counts work. Here is a bit more of an explanation for the different counts.

Count of events(event mode): When looking at this in an pivot, it counts the number of events that

• has an event date within the given period
  • happened at the orgunit(s) included in the report
  • matches any other filters you might have defined in the “Filter” part of the program indicator.

Count of enrollments(event mode): Is counting a subset of the “Count of events” above. When several events is linked to one enrollment, each of these groups will only be counted as one. An alternative narrative way of explaining it is that you count how many different enrollments that is represented with at least one event within the given period and orgunit(s).

Count of tracked entity instances(event mode): Is counting a subset of the “Count of enrollments” above. When several events is linked to one enrollment, and several enrollments is linked to one tracked entity instance, all these are grouped and counted on the tracked entity instance level. An alternative narrative way of explaining it is that you count how many different tracked entity instances that is represented with at least one event within the given period and orgunit(s).

As you can see, all these counts is by default founded in the individual events that happened within the reporting boundaries. In 2.26 we added another mode for program indicators in tracker programs called “Enrollment” mode. This is opposed to the “Event” mode that is explained above, and that is the default mode for all program indicators. Enrollment mode might be useful in some cases when working with tracker data. If you select “Enrollment” as the mode for the program indicator, the enrollment itself is the foundation for all counting, expressions and filtering. Here is how the counts behave in enrollment mode:

Count of events(enrollment mode): Not yet supported enrollment mode, but improvement issue is registered: https://jira.dhis2.org/browse/DHIS2-1068?jql=text%20~%20%22count%22

Count of enrollments(enrollment mode): When looking at this in an pivot, it counts the number of enrollments that

• has an enrollment date within the given period
  • was enrolled at the orgunit(s) included in the report
  • matches any other filters you might have defined in the “Filter” part of the program indicator.

Count of tracked entity instances(enrollment mode): Is counting a subset of the “Count of enrollments” above. When several enrollments is linked to one tracked entity instance, all these are groups are counted as one. An alternative narrative way of explaining it is that you count how many different tracked entity instances that was enrolled within the

Hope this explanation can help you when looking into your mentioned difference in numbers between event reports and program indicators. If you want further assistance on this part, please provide more detail on the indicator definition and the event reports query.

Best regards,

Markus

1. apr. 2017 kl. 09.19 skrev Stanley Kalyati skalyati@gmail.com:

Thanks

Stanley

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users
Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

1 Like