Clarification on Organisation unit, groups and group sets

Hi all,

For me the documentation is not very open or clear on Organisation unit ,Orgunit Groups, Orgunit Group sets :

if i have like Health centres eg HC1,HC2,HC3,HC4,HC5 and District Hospitals : DH1,DH2,DH3,DH4,DH5

Org unit groups called Health centres, faith based, public,Private,Hospital,referral

Org unit group set - Type : (Health centres, Hospital, referals)

-Ownership: ( Faith based, Public, Private)

As you can see, All Hc can be a member of a group Health centres and again Owned by/ a member of either faith based or public. So it can appear in two different groups but in different group sets. Can this affect anything? may be duplicating data? Does it duplicate only if the two like Health center group and may be faith based becomes a member of one group set?

When does it duplicate data?

Any clarification on this?

Regards

···
  • Muhire Andrew*

Ministry of Health / HMIS

““A mind is a terrible thing to waste””

** Cell:(+25)0788436150**

*** Twitter :andrewmuhire***

muhireandrew@yahoo.com

Hi Andrew, there piano duplication. It is best to think of each groupset as a dimension, and the groups are available classes within each dimension. Each dimension is independent, just like I can be both Norewegian and working on information systems.

1. des. 2013 08:23 skrev “Muhire Andrew” muhireandrew@yahoo.com følgende:
···

Hi all,

For me the documentation is not very open or clear on Organisation unit ,Orgunit Groups, Orgunit Group sets :

if i have like Health centres eg HC1,HC2,HC3,HC4,HC5 and District Hospitals : DH1,DH2,DH3,DH4,DH5

Org unit groups called Health centres, faith based, public,Private,Hospital,referral

As you can see, All Hc can be a member of a group Health centres and again Owned by/ a member of either faith based or public. So it can appear in two different groups but in different group sets. Can this affect anything? may be duplicating data? Does it duplicate only if the two like Health center group and may be faith based becomes a member of one group set?

Regards

• Muhire Andrew

muhireandrew@yahoo.com

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Sorry, I meant ‘no duplication’. This is for output and analysis, and does not affect the underlying data.

1. des. 2013 08:33 skrev “Knut Staring” knutst@gmail.com følgende:
···

Hi Andrew, there piano duplication. It is best to think of each groupset as a dimension, and the groups are available classes within each dimension. Each dimension is independent, just like I can be both Norewegian and working on information systems.

Hi all,

Regards

• Muhire Andrew

muhireandrew@yahoo.com

Just to be perfectly clear: The way you are assigning the SAME organisationunit as both Hospital or Health Center on the one hand and at the same time as Public or Private on the other hand is EXACTLY the way it is intendended. The system has been designed to help you do analysis along several dimensions, and the Pivot Tables are especially well suited for slicing your data and indicators along multiple dimensions depending on what you are interested in.

···

On Thursday, December 5, 2013, Knut Staring wrote:

Sorry, I meant ‘no duplication’. This is for output and analysis, and does not affect the underlying data.

Hi all,

Regards

• Muhire Andrew

muhireandrew@yahoo.com

Post to :

Knut Staring

Dept. of Informatics, University of Oslo

+4791880522

http://dhis2.org

Thanks Knut for Clarification. So it Duplicates Data if facility A appears in group B and C and then all Group B and C becomes a member of one Dimension like D.

Thanks for clarification

···
  • Muhire Andrew*

muhireandrew@yahoo.com

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 9:50 AM, Knut Staring knutst@gmail.com wrote:

Just to be perfectly clear: The way you are assigning the SAME organisationunit as both Hospital or Health Center on the one hand and at the same time as Public or Private on the other hand is EXACTLY the way it is intendended. The system has been designed to help you do analysis along several dimensions, and the Pivot Tables are especially well suited for slicing your data and indicators along multiple dimensions depending on what you are interested in.

Hi all,

Regards

• Muhire Andrew

muhireandrew@yahoo.com

Post to :

Knut Staring

+4791880522

I didn’t find this perfectly clear at all Knut. :slight_smile: Perhaps it is just the wording of your mail, but let me try and repeat.

An orgunit should not belong to two organisation unit groups who are members themselves of the same organisation unit group set. A facility should not both a member of the “Hospital” as well as a “Health facility” orgunit group which are members of an orgunit group set called “Type”, at least in the DHIS2 view of things, and will result in a data integrity violation. Similarly, it should not be both “Private” and “Public”. Membership in organisation unit groups which are part of a group set, should be exclusive.

If the organisationunit group is not a member of a group set, then memership in multiple groups is possible.

Of course, there are exceptions, like being both Norwegian and Swedish. But DHIS2 will only consider membership in one of these, and it is not always clear which one you may get. So, be sure you do not have any data integrity violations for the orgunit groups.

Best regards,

Jason

···

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Knut Staring knutst@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

Regards

• Muhire Andrew

muhireandrew@yahoo.com

Post to :

Knut Staring

+4791880522

Hi Andrew,
Just saw your response when I sent the other mail. Lars correct me if I am wrong.

There is never any duplication of data. If a facility belongs to both the “Private” as well as “Public” organisation unit groups, which in turn belong to a single group set called “Ownership”, what you get will not always be very clear. This is is because in the _orgunitgroupsetstructure table, there is a single entry per group set. Which one the system chooses, is not always clear, and may lead to unexpected results. This is the purpose of the data integrity check, to be sure that a single orgunit does not belong to two groups, who are members of a group set.

Best regards,

Jason

···

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

I didn’t find this perfectly clear at all Knut. :slight_smile: Perhaps it is just the wording of your mail, but let me try and repeat.

An orgunit should not belong to two organisation unit groups who are members themselves of the same organisation unit group set. A facility should not both a member of the “Hospital” as well as a “Health facility” orgunit group which are members of an orgunit group set called “Type”, at least in the DHIS2 view of things, and will result in a data integrity violation. Similarly, it should not be both “Private” and “Public”. Membership in organisation unit groups which are part of a group set, should be exclusive.

If the organisationunit group is not a member of a group set, then memership in multiple groups is possible.

Of course, there are exceptions, like being both Norwegian and Swedish. But DHIS2 will only consider membership in one of these, and it is not always clear which one you may get. So, be sure you do not have any data integrity violations for the orgunit groups.

Best regards,

Jason

Hi all,

Regards

• Muhire Andrew

muhireandrew@yahoo.com

Post to :

Knut Staring

+4791880522

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your quick reactions

You are right, we always have to run integrity checks to be sure. And we do this always but from both of comments, the logic of Orgunit group vs group set is becoming clearer. So in reality in HIS one facility can be a member of more than one group, So it becomes a problem if the two groups where the facility belongs appear in one group set. If not it means no violation will happen.

Regards

···
  • Muhire Andrew*

muhireandrew@yahoo.com

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 10:06 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Andrew,
Just saw your response when I sent the other mail. Lars correct me if I am wrong.

There is never any duplication of data. If a facility belongs to both the “Private” as well as “Public” organisation unit groups, which in turn belong to a single group set called “Ownership”, what you get will not always be very clear. This is is because in the _orgunitgroupsetstructure table, there is a single entry per group set. Which one the system chooses, is not always clear, and may lead to unexpected results. This is the purpose of the data integrity check, to be sure that a single orgunit does not belong to two groups, who are members of a group set.

Best regards,

Jason

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Best regards,

Jason

Hi all,

Regards

• Muhire Andrew

muhireandrew@yahoo.com

Post to :

Knut Staring

+4791880522

Thanks for clarifying. Just wanted to point out that I said “Hospital OR Health Center” (not both) in the first dimension , and “Private OR Public” (never both) in the other dimension. So each dimension (group set) is exclusive, meaning you can only pick one group within each group set.

Usually, one orgunit should belong to exactly one group in each group sets. So if you have 5 group sets (dimensions), each facility would normally belong to 5 groups, one in each group set.

There are some complications: We do for example allow groups that don’t belong to a group set, and you don’t HAVE to classify every orgunit along all dimensions if you feel it is not needed. But I would advise to do so unless you have compelling reasons not to.

···

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Best regards,

Jason

Knut Staring

+4791880522

Hi all,

Regards

• Muhire Andrew

muhireandrew@yahoo.com

Post to :

Knut Staring

+4791880522

Thank you all for your clarifications and quick reactions. Now its clear.

Regards

···
  • Muhire Andrew*

muhireandrew@yahoo.com

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 10:48 AM, Knut Staring knutst@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. Just wanted to point out that I said “Hospital OR Health Center” (not both) in the first dimension , and “Private OR Public” (never both) in the other dimension. So each dimension (group set) is exclusive, meaning you can only pick one group within each group set.

Usually, one orgunit should belong to exactly one group in each group sets. So if you have 5 group sets (dimensions), each facility would normally belong to 5 groups, one in each group set.

There are some complications: We do for example allow groups that don’t belong to a group set, and you don’t HAVE to classify every orgunit along all dimensions if you feel it is not needed. But I would advise to do so unless you have compelling reasons not to.

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Best regards,

Jason

Hi all,

Regards

• Muhire Andrew

muhireandrew@yahoo.com

Post to :

Knut Staring