Care2X and DHIS2

Hi,

Please find attachment.

Our developer did analysis and presented to us. ELCT ICT Unit had meeting with people who prepare MTUHA reports at ALMC, they listed the most demanded reports. Now we plan to meet with DMO office for further analysis. I have attached list of reports which are mostly required by DMO. Our plan is to work more on papers and agree about what is required before we start to do development. We welcome your comments. Later we shall share our findings with computer science department of UDSM.

Israel Pascal.

MTUHA.pdf (54.5 KB)

···

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Maurizio Bricola mbricola@iicd.org wrote:

Hi all, as I said we are on a good track and the sound technical solution will come and it will be developed locally.

With Kind Regards,
Maurizio Bricola

Verzonden van mijn HTC

----- Reply message -----
Van: “mauri.niemi@gmail.commauri.niemi@gmail.com
Datum: di, mei 24, 2011 20:56

Onderwerp: [Dhis2-devs] Care2X and DHIS2

Aan: “israel pascal” israel.pascal10@gmail.com, “Yusuph Kassim” yusuphk@gmail.com

CC: “Maurizio Bricola” mbricola@iicd.org, “olati” olati@ifi.uio.no, “robert Meggle” meggle@merotech.de, “dhis2-devs” dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net, “Nic Moens” nmoens@iicd.org, “Juma Lungo” juma.lungo@zalongwa.com, “pauline” pauline@elct.or.tz

Hello Yusuf,

When you say the UI is there and working I have to ask a few questions.

Can you explain me what is the reason that users should link about 400 items in DHIS to

more than 11.000 diagnosis in ICD-10, and do that all manually?

For example there are 4 different groups with Congenital Disorders, those over 5 years who

were admitted, those who were over 5 years admitted and died, those who were under 5

yeas admitted and those who were under 5 admitted and died. There are several hundred

congenital disorders in ICD-10 and each of them should manually be linked to each of these

groups. It is impossible task and also unnecessary.

There is report in Care2x linking ICD-10 to Mtuha, why did you not use that one? Age and

death filters could have been added in that report and then the data could have been

transferred directly to DHIS.

Another logical issue is that why datamapping tool is linking everything to diagnosis. There

are many other things Mtuha reports are asking for. There are reports about number of

laboratory test, operations, admission numbers, etc which should not be linked to diagnosis

and are available in care2x database in different tables. But the datamapping tool does not

give option to look for them in the correct tables. Mtuha reporting fields need each their own and logically correct dataqueries from Care2x database and the UI that has been developed does not do it.

The work Israel and Martin have done now to analyse what Mtuha reports are needed and

what can be found in Care2x is good start but we need a sound technical solution for it.

Regards

Mauri Niemi

On 24 May 2011 at 17:13, Yusuph Kassim wrote:

Hello Everyone, just to add on that, the script to generate the xml file to be imported to dhis is

already developed and tested with some data and was working fine. what israel told me is that

they want more data than the one we are exporting, data from other tables apart for the diagnosis

table.

about the mapping there is a UI that lets them add or remove what they dont want to be exported

to DHIS, the mapping is done between the DHIS dataelements against that of ICD10, and the

export format that we used is dfx.

on the way forward. as Israel is saying we need to include more data, thats means including other

programs that are captured by care2x and I am assuming that document is the one israel is

talking about.

what was done:

a UI has been created on care2x, to enable mapping ofdata elements (this is matched with

datasets). then the users can choose the date from and to and export this data. the output is a

zipped xml file on dfx format that is imported into DHIS2.

cheers

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 4:31 PM, israel pascal israel.pascal10@gmail.com wrote:

Hi All,
The work of MTUHA is on progress within ELCT, and status is as follows:-
We gave copies of MTUHA books to our developer (who is very much aware of care2x
database) so that he can make analysis about which data can be captured from care2x and
which data cannot be captured and what we should do to incorporate data which cannot be
captured by care2x.
The analysis document is already out, he presented to us on Friday last week. Me and
Martin went through analysis document page by page and compared it with what is in
MTUHA books, in the MTUHA books we marked charts which its data can be captured and
those which cannot be captured.
                                                              No

Description

reports

percentage

reports which will be captured in the care2x

without any modification

reports which will be captured with some

small modification

reports which will be captured in the care2x

after development of RCH module

TOTAL

The way forward:
-We plan to present this analysis report to people who use to prepare MTUHA reports so
that we can get their suggestions.
-Meet with computer science Department of the university of DSM to get their views about
the analysis document.
-We should work together with computer science department to get their suggestions on
what should be done for interoperability of Care2x and Dhis2.
- We shall come up with the final document which we shall present to DMO office and get
their views and suggestions.
-The final document shall be presented to this list for more ideas
-Start the execution of the work.
Israel Pascal.
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Maurizio Bricola <mbricola@iicd.org> wrote:
Hi all,
I fully agree with Bob, when he is saying:
you can use it (kettle) to interactively fiddle with these things to better understand what it is
possible to generate off your database. But It should probably be your aim to do this
ultimately with php scripts if you want to settle the process into a regular workflow. The php
scripts can be better integrated into your care2x. But some programming required :-
)Perhaps you will end up with a phased approach, starting with kettle and gradually folding
the queries into a care2x module.
The above is the technical advice.
At this stage there is not much theory to do we should keep attacking this issue in a very
practical way.
Basically we need someone with knowledge of the MTUHA report who will put some effort in
learning Kettle and start to create the report.
Do we have a RACI Matrix? if not we should think to jointly develop one, even from distance
using a Google Docs, for example.
RACI Matrix will help us to have a framework and last but not least the job done :)
RACI means: Responsible, Accountable, Consulted, Informed
What we need is the following:
A work breakdown: basically what needs to be done to achieve the goal, and should be
specific enough to answer the question: "Who does X?"
A list of roles like: Project Manager, Programmers, etc
Another tool we could use is the Who/What/When Matrix in this case it is important to start
with the Who, to answer the question: "Who does what when?"
Either one or the other should be jointly developed in aparticipatoryway since we all share
the responsibility to reach our objective.
In case we already have something like that, it might me good to share it, review it and
refresh it. Colleagues which did not have the time to fully commit because of different
reasons they might have the opportunity to give their valuablecontributionnow.

With Kind Regards,

Maurizio Bricola

Technical Advisor (Kenya - Malawi - Tanzania)

International Institute for Communication and Development (IICD)

P.O. Box 11586, 2502 AN The Hague, the Netherlands

Visitors: Raamweg 5, 2596 HL The Hague

Phone: +31-(0)70-311 73 11 Mobile: +31-(0)6 33 77 35 41

On 23 May 2011 12:36, Mauri Niemi mauri.niemi@gmail.com wrote:

Hi All, When i first time saw DHIS and Vincent visited our team in Arusha, I think it was 2006
I liked the flexibility of DHIS and since then I wanted that we could use it as general
reporting tool for Care2x. It should cover mandatory reports for government (Mtuha) and
also hospital specific reports. The idea was that we would not need programmers but
people who know the database and can make queriees and produce reports which are then
analyzed using DHIS.
Care2x does not collect all data needed for Mtuha, initially we thought some parts are easer
to do manually (general information about health facility) and some modules we do not have
yet in Care2x (RCH). It is also collecting much data not required by Mtuha (mainly financial
data), which most hospitals see very importan. But probaly it is better that webERP
acconting packet is reporting financial issues.
From this background programmers can decide if php scripts should be used or if it is better
to use Kettle or similiar tool.
Best Greetings
Mauri Niemi

2011/5/23 Bob Jolliffe bobjolliffe@gmail.com

Hi Lungo (cc'd to list)
Can you make this discussion more concrete by by providing details of the MTUHA report?
Taking things one step at a time, can you then also verify that dhis2 in TZ has all the
existing required dataelements for this report. Without more detail I don't know if the
MTUHA report is a report of dataelements or a processed report of indicators. If the latter
then you should identify a report of dataelements required to calculate the MTUHA
indicators.
I would suggest that we then define an SDMX-HD DSD for this report (ie specify all the
codes to be used for dataelements, dimensions etc) and ensure that DHIS can consume
datasets conforming to this. If all the required dataelements exist within the TZ dhis
database then I have a small script which can assist in generating this from the dhis
metadata. Afterwards it can be trimmed and tidied a bit.
Then there is the small(!) matter of producing this dataset from the data within the care2x
database. Most fundamentally this will be about performing SQL queries on that database
and generating XML from the resultsets. I don't think it matters too much whether those
queries are executed within the context of kettle or a php script. What is more important is
to understand whether the the required queries are possible from the existing data. It might
be you are only able to produce a subset of what you need for example. You would be in a
better position to know this. As I say, without better knowledge of the MTUHA
report its difficult to be too specific.
I think that if you are familiar with kettle you can use it to interactively fiddle with these things
to better understand what it is possible to generate off your database. But It should
probably be your aim to do this ultimately with php scripts if you want to settle the process
into a regular workflow. The php scripts can be better integrated into your care2x. But
some programming required :-) Perhaps you will end up with a phased approach, starting
with kettle and gradually folding the queries into a care2x module. (Its quite a few years
since I looked at care2x - I seem to recall php4 and smarty templates).
Regards
Bob
On 23 May 2011 04:30, Juma Lungo <juma.lungo@zalongwa.com> wrote:
Dear Ola
Can you take this case to the main DHIS2 developers' list. This case has taken too
long to be solved. As i shared before, the Care2x and DHIS2 integration tool
developed in Tanzania before, was not working at all.
Lungo
On 05/23/2011 01:14 AM, Maurizio Bricola wrote:
Dear all,
after my visit in Arusha, I have tried to focus on how we could proceed
further especially with the MTUHA Report and Care2X.
I have read 3 times :) the report of Robert Meggle and I can say that his
analysis is correct, and the options he suggests are the right way to
proceed.
Indeed we have different options which are valid:
1) a little program in Java that can interface with the Care2X DB and
generates the XML file defining the right template. Every time we need to
import/export a report, we open the program and it will generate the file
that will be manually imported to the DHIS2 DB.
This program can be the one suggested by Robert [http://kettle.pentaho.com](http://kettle.pentaho.com) and will
have the advantage of being there already and have a graphic UI, which could be
used also by non-programmers, minimizing the realization time and making it easier to
review the work.
2) use some scripts (php, java or even pearl etc.) which read the Care2X
DB and generate the XML file in the right format (compatible with what
DHIS2 is expecting to receive). After that the file will be manually imported
to DHIS2 DB. This will be basically a module (small application to export
data in xml compatible with what DHIS2 is expected to import)  of
Care2X, and will be composed of n files, among others a configuration file
where to specify the DB name, and other configuration like values
conversion etc. This will all depend on how the programmer will develop
this module.
In less technical term the script will perform something like that:
Check DB xyz
Extract a, b, c, d
Convert into e, f, g, h
Generate XML
Save and/or download XML
If we opt for option 2 what we need is a team or a programmer with
knowledge of both systems to develop the module and knowledge of
MTUHA requirements.
With option one we need to know clearly the MTUHA requirements and
learn how to use the suggested software.
In order to decide it might be good if someone could have a look at that
software in details and run a test.
With Kind Regards,
Maurizio Bricola
Technical Advisor (Kenya - Malawi - Tanzania)
International Institute for Communication and Development (IICD)
P.O. Box 11586, 2502 AN The Hague, the Netherlands
Visitors: Raamweg 5, 2596 HL The Hague
Phone: +31-(0)70-311 73 11 Mobile: +31-(0)6 33 77 35 41

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Yusuph Kassim Kulindwa,

University of Dar Es Salaam,

Department of Computer Science,

System Developer/ Research Assistant.

Cell: +255 713 535648