Calculate ALOS for Malnutrition OPD care

Hi Team
I need to calculate the Average Length of Stay for a children who are treated at a OPD Nutrition Centre. These children are NOT inpatients, they are generally seen every week and assessed for weight growth (hopefully). After a few weeks they exit the programme, either by recovery, death, non responsive, defaulter or transferred out.
Problem: Do I use Children enrolled that month or Child in care month end as the numerator or how do I calculate a inpatient day equivalent?
Denominator: Children who have been separated (discharged etc) from the program
Any insights will be welcomed
Thanks
Norah

1 Like

Hi @Norah_Stoops

I think for each child the care starts from the day they are enrolled and ends the day they exit the program. I believe we’re calculating in number of days in this scenario and not weeks or months? So maybe days between enrollment and exiting the program?

So average length of stay would be the total length for all children divided by the number of children enrolled (all during the same period). I hope I understood the question properly. :slight_smile:

Hi Gassim,
Thank you for providing some clarity, I was getting very confused and lost.
Yes, the numerator needs to be the days the child was enrolled in care. So to get that figure each day they need to count how many children are enrolled in care. Then month end add up the figure for each day.
I am sorted!
Norah

1 Like