Best practices in DHIS2 implementation South Africa and Zambia

Melissa Andrews, Digital Transformation Manager, Health Information Systems Program, South Africa @Elmarie_Claasen

Session Title: Long-term system maintenance
UiO Lead: Olav Poppe, Shurajit Dutta
Type: Parallel
Date and time: Monday 20 June, 14:15-15:30

Abstract: Rapid assessments of DHIS2 instances help to ensure that users get the best out of their DHIS2. These assessments differ based on the use case addressed by DHIS2, but the principles remain the same. Several DHIS2 implementations highlight best practices for metadata configuration, naming convention practices, master facility management, user management, change management, incident management, and war upgrade testing practices. This presentation will focus on how you define and maintain good process/practices (naming conventions, user/orgunit mgmt and SOPs etc),

These data management improvements have been written up in standard procedure manuals that provide a critical reference for existing officials and a resource for orientating and training new data managers. The manuals offer an essential tool for local strengthening and sharing good practices with the wider DHIS2 community. The manuals, combined with structured training programmes that build the capacity to create DHIS2 super-users at national and sub-national levels, provide the foundation for long-term routine health system sustainability. The structured approach to promoting exemplary practices has contributed to clean annual DHIS2 system audits conducted by the Auditor General of South Africa. The techniques have been transferred to other Ministries of Health such as Lesotho, Namibia and Zambia to help strengthen data management in those countries.

Experiences from Zambia will be highlighted, in particular how we have used a comprehensive Health Information Systems (HIS) assessment to review Zambia Ministry of Health’s national DHIS2 instance to identify constraints and collectively develop and implement strategic directions to address these and to support the country in reinforcing informed decision-making while strengthening capacity to monitor national health development.

As a result, best practices in managing DHIS2 instances were adapted to improve data management processes within HMIS. Emphasis was given to the development of standard operating procedures (SOP) to guide best practices when managing DHIS2 instances. The result is an increased capacity of the MOH staff, maximising the value of the DHIS2 implementation in Zambia.

8 Likes

Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to learning more about the assessments and best practices. :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Mel

Could you please share any docs/manuals on the following points?

Looking forward to your reply

Thanks

Hi Ferdinand
Pls send you email address and I will send you the Powerpoint presentation.
Norah Stoops

1 Like

Dear Norah Stoops,

Accept my greeting from South Sudan.

Thanks

hIE @Norah_Stoops,

Could you also share the presentation: arnold.marowa@gmail.com

Thanks…

Hey Norah, I am also interested in that PowerPoint presentation. Kindly share to my mail @JOHNPAUL SIKOMBE

Send me also the presentation

Best Regards,
Nitum Mungur

Digital Health Office (DHO)
Ministry of Health and Wellness
3rd Floor, Emmanuel Anquetil Building
Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam St
Port Louis

(+230) 214-8848 M:57994145
Please consider the Environment, print this email only if it is very important.

Hi @Norah_Stoops.

Here is my email: ferdinandmussavene@yahoo.com

Thanks

Dear Moses,
It is so very nice to hear from you.
We have not chatted in many years
I am glad that South Sudan is still going strong.
Norah

Hi @Norah_Stoops,

Thank you so much for sharing the presentation.

I @Norah_Stoops can share also with me issufojosebitone@gmail.com

Hello
this is my email for your kind sharing of the presentation halizt.barwary@gmail.com
with much appreciation

Greetings Norah Stoops, I’m from Angola, new to the DHIS2 community, I work with Mothers2Mothes in Angola, on the contingency plans for the Fight against AIDS, I’m here to develop my skills.
I would like to receive a PowerPoint presentation
this is my email: matumonajoao1@gmail.com

Hello Norah Stoops I’m also interested in the Powerpoint presentation, please kindly share the presentation with me at robertmororo@gmail.com. I’m new to DHIS2 and looking forward to learning a lot from the presentation.
regards Robert Mororo from Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

Hi @Mel
Could you also share the presentation with me? I’m from Mozambique
My email is: joao.machiana@jembi.org

Best regards

Can please share presentation slides exact guideline best practice in DHIS2 implementation through this an email
jamaa618@gmail

Hi,
Kindly share the presentation to nachesinks@gmail.com
Thank you.

Has anyone ever received the presentation. Please kindly share : arnold.marowa@gmail.com.

Thanks.

HI NORA

Here is my mail address for the powerepoint presentation

image.png