Applications Analyst – DHIS2 Specialist
- Pretoria, South Africa
- Rwanda (Any)
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Bujumbura, Burundi
The DHIS2 specialist, under the supervision of Manager, Business Solutions, will provide health informatics technical leadership and support to country program and global health management information systems for routine and survey data. The main focus will be supporting and maintaining complex configuration of program monitoring systems in DHIS2 tracker/mobile, troubleshooting, general system administration, analytics and dashboard development, integration of DHIS2 with other tools and systems, as well as capacity building users and System Admins across FHI 360 country offices.
This involves: providing and co-ordinating DHIS2 implementation support covering installation, set up and server maintenance; user requirements gathering, system design, configuration, administration and maintenance; user support, training and capacity building; development of analytics tools to promote data use and developing links between DHIS2 and other systems via the web API.
Job Summary / Responsibilities
- Provide DHIS2 implementation support: communicating with teams for global and country program to conduct user requirements analysis and lead configuration of program monitoring systems in DHIS2 according to project specifications and organizational standards in both desktop and mobile versions of DHIS2 deploying aggregate, event and tracker data models.
- Provide DHIS2 technical support: support DHIS2 configurations across multiple countries and multiple health areas, including troubleshooting and user support. Install, setup and manage servers for DHIS2 applications. Import/Export data and metadata across DHIS2 instances and between DHIS2 and other systems while maintaining data integrity. Establish integration between DHIS2 and other systems.
- Provide Technical Assistance & Capacity Building support: Develop training curriculum and materials for system admins and end users. Increase the capacity of Country System Administrators in DHIS2 maintenance and troubleshooting tasks. Manage global DHIS2 user support service desk. Co-ordinate group user engagement channels to keep users informed on latest trends in DHIS2.
- Promote use of high quality data: set up validation rules and other data quality checks to ensure data is of high quality. Strengthen use of DHIS2 visualizations and dashboards to support evidence-based decision-making through the DHIS2 Interpretations app and Data-to-Action approaches
- Support DHIS2 integration: develop tools to integrate DHIS2 with other open source platforms and BI tools via the web API. Support development of web and android apps to extend the functionality of DHIS2 to meet complex user requirements ensuring consistent and reliable use of all code management and library systems assuring available, reproducible and reusable programs.
- Representation and Documentation: Contribute to development of concept notes, data reporting templates and tables, job aids, user guides and standard operating procedures. Represents FHI 360 and makes presentations at professional meetings and conferences related to health informatics issues. Documents best practices in health informatics and disseminates appropriately.
- Keep engaged with DHIS2 global community of practice. Remain informed of current issues regarding DHIS2 and other health informatics applications and trends in the field by review of current literature and involvement in professional networks; is alert to any implication of new technology or trends in uptake for project and program activities; and
- Performs any other related duties assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Masters preferred) in Informatics, Computer Science, Information Technology, Electronic Electrical Engineering
- Expert knowledge of DHIS2 tracker and aggregate data models, and sound knowledge of open-source platforms for routine data collection.
- Practical experience with linux and tomcat server administration, managing postgres/ mysql databases, programming in java and working with java scripts, python and R. Experience working with REST APIs.
- Direct experience with the management of data associated with PEPFAR-supported programs, projects or surveys
- Experience working in HIV/AIDS programs in developing countries an advantage
- Experience developing android apps is desired
- A minimum of 8 years of experience health information systems, health-related datasets, application development and/or electronic capture systems in resource-limited countries.
- Experience providing technical assistance in different cultural contexts, including local NGOs, and knowledge of the local context essential, familiarity with USAID programs preferred.
- Experience providing TA to MOH towards the establishment of national data systems to collect HIV or health data to improve HIV surveillance and response.
- Demonstrated ability to independently complete assigned tasks, train and facilitate learning and professional development among colleagues
- Solid understanding of basic assumptions of developing country public health practices for data acquisition and quality assurance.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Fluency in French is an advantage
- Ability to travel a minimum of 25%.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.