Android app and tracker capture app crashing (and what is dev)

Hi all,

In the last few weeks, both the new DHIS2 android app and the tracker capture app have been crashing when we sync or try to register a TEI (see screenshot).

We have updated the apps, uninstalled and reinstalled from the play store, and updated the devices. It is happening on multiple types of devices (tablets, phones) both in the field and in the US. Is anyone else experiencing this, and any thoughts on what we can try?

Also, we noticed that some of the DHIS2 apps now say (dev) at the end – what does that mean?

Gratefully,

Natalie T

1 Like

Hi Natalie,

just posting ere the conversation from launchpad.

The (Dev) suffix was removed last week.

For the crashes, would you mind sharing testing credentials to your server to check the problem? We would like to make sure that is not a metadata problem since it is crashing in both apps.

If possible, please send them to marta@dhis2.org, p.pajuelo@quadram.mobi and m.perez@quadram.mobi

Thanks,

1 Like

Hi @marta, was this ever resolved? We are having the same issue, and, because of it, our teams in the field have started data collection on paper again.

1 Like

Hi @berhard,

I`ve seen you posted this in two places and now I am confused of which app is actually crashing, since this post belongs to old app, and the other one to the new one.

Please test the new app to be released today and let us know how it goes, or if you need the old one, then please share details of the crashes (version of android, version of the app, device, version of dhis2…).

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi! The new app is awesome, we love the interface, but it’s still crashing all the time with one particular tracker program (unfortunately, our primary program)! Particularly when we are in the process of registering a new TEI (like after the OU is selected but before the data entry screen loads), but occasionally at other times as well.

One clue is that I can register a TEI in a different tracker program and it works fine, but then when I try to add the main program enrollment to the existing TEI, it crashes at that point, so it seems like the problem is mainly with this one tracker program.

Can you think of anything we can try? Might it be related to the volume of TEIs in the main program? (around 50,000, obviously not on the devices) Any settings we could try changing? Anything with the metadata? It’s happening on all the devices.

Also, on another note, can you think of a reason that program rules would work on the browser but not in the app - specifically, autopopulating the age based on the DOB.

Thanks for any help - we are rolling this out early next week to our community workers.

2 Likes

Hi @Natalie_Tibbels,

thank you for your feedback!

If your problem is in one program specifically it can be due to a change in configuration causing inconsistency between your local data and your server metadata, an issue with your sharing setting…
We can have a look if you don’t mind sharing your testing server URL and a testing user credentials.

If so, please send them to @Pablo (ppajuelo@quadram.mobi) and me (marta@dhis2.org).

Many thanks!
Marta

1 Like

Hi @berhard,

was your problem solved??

Marta

1 Like

Hi again @Natalie_Tibbels,

I see we alrady have the testing credentials to your server. If they still work, then we just need some details on which program is actually failing.

Thanks,
Marta

1 Like

Thanks Marta! I sent you the information and will also be ready to document general solutions here so everyone can learn. :grinning:
~Natalie

2 Likes

Hi, just as an update, we rolled out other new programs with no TEIs registered, and they are also crashing the app, so I don’t think it has to do with the volume.

1 Like

It is working on the old tracker capture app (we can register TEIs in the new programs). The users MUCH prefer the new DHIS2 Capture app interface though, it is sooo much better, so any help making the new app work would be amazing. Right now they are using paper.

1 Like

This issue seems like it has not been resolved. We keep on having a similar issue - random crashes during enrollment on all android versions - in both 1.3.2 and 2.0.0

@Natalie_Tibbels was your problem with this resolved, or are you still experiencing random crashes?

Regards
Calle

1 Like

Not resolved. We are actually switching most of our tracker programs to event programs, and using paper for the operational side (scheduling appointments and follow up). In part due to the crashing (I accept that it’s possibly/probably a configuration issue, but hard to solve when it works fine on the browser), and in part due to some of the complexity for less tech savvy of our community cadre. For example, in the browser, we have it set so the first stage auto-generates and appears on the first page with registration, but in the app (this may have been fixed since), the first stage does not auto generate. So data collectors are enrolling people without completing the first stage, and then it’s showing up in event reports with no data (because event reports doesn’t show enrollments without a stage). When they do try to add a stage, they get confused about new event vs. referral, because our new event IS a referral for a particular health service. But it’s not a DHIS2 referral… Anyway these are all training issues on our side but I’m also accepting the new reality of doing case management through non-registration events, which simplifies capture and analytics but limits the operational uses.

1 Like

Hi @Natalie_Tibbels!

Do we have testing credentials for your server? I think so. So if you can detail in which programs are you having issues we would be glad to help finding a solution to those crashes. Even if it is a configuration issue, the app should respond resiliently. Have you tried the beta version of 2.0.0?
Regarding the auto-generated events, they are supported. The event form is loaded after the enrollment one, we are not mixing it for now at least.

We try to monitor almost every crash with the analytics tools we have and fix them as soon as possible, thought we tend to focus on newer versions ones. If these crashes are still there, we want to fix them, so please, either create as many jira issues as you need (we love them, even if they are bugs), or keep opening posts in the community asking us :slight_smile:.

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you! We upgraded today from 2.29 to 2.31 and are testing the rest of the week. Will send testing credentials/submit bugs if we experience even one crash after the upgrade. :slight_smile: I am a huge fan of the features in the beta, but also hoping to test it a bit this week while I’m in the field.

2 Likes