Accents/French not working in 2.31?

Hi all,
Has anyone suddenly had trouble with letters that have accents? It’s not for the metadata (any data elements or OUs that I have added look fine), it’s with the actual labels in the system. See screenshots. I’ve hard cleared my cache, done incognito mode, and tried different browsers. It’s not been like this before so I was wondering if there’s a quick fix.
~Natalie

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 2.07.11 AM
Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 2.10.10 AM

1 Like

Hi @Natalie_Tibbels,

What version of 2.31 are you on?

You can see exactly the version and build in the About DHIS2 page, e.g.:

Thanks,
Phil

1 Like

Thanks for the response. It’s here:
Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 3.43.16 AM

1 Like

Hi @Natalie_Tibbels,

OK, you need to upgrade to 2.31.8.

There was a problem with file encoding of translations immediately after we moved to the new translation platform. The problem was fixed, but apparently (the problem) made it into some releases (it took a while for the fix to get into the builds). Unfortunately, this doesn’t appear to be captured in the release notes; I think because it wasn’t captured as an issue for specific releases.

Kind regards,
Phil

1 Like

I have a success story! I am in the middle of an important training/orientation to a new DHIS2 system, and this problem with the encoding of translations was becoming problematic on a lot of levels. Because of the quick response from @phil (and shout out to BAO systems for immediately responding as well and upgrading to 2.31.8 over the lunch break), I was able to continue the training with everything working well. Super grateful for this community right now!
~Natalie

4 Likes

That’s great news @Natalie_Tibbels!
Thanks for sharing!

Kind regards,
Phil

1 Like

Now I am wondering how hard it is to adjust the “boolean” and “yes only” by language. Right now, in the @dhis2-android capture app, the interface doesn’t reflect the chosen language of the user, including “yes/no” and “yes only” (which shows up in the app, in 1.3.2, as a yes and not a box). And in the browser, it still is “yes/no” even though everything else is in French. Maybe it’s just a problem on my side though.
~Natalie

2 Likes

Hi @Natalie_Tibbels,

It’s very possible that the apps in question have not implemented the necessary logic for localising those fields.
Please feel free to raise the issues in Jira
(For android, bugs and features should be raised on the “Android App for DHIS2” project;
For DHIS2, the project is “DHIS 2 Software”.)

Kind regards,
Phil

2 Likes

Hi Natalie,

the interface will pick the language of the device. Is that happening in all UI strings despite the yes/no?

1 Like

Hi Marta, when I changed the device language, the yes/no options changed. Apologies for missing that simple step. Thanks so much, will update in JIRA.

2 Likes

Do others have trouble with downloading CSV data and none of the accented letters working?