23 Sept - 14:00 - The DHIS2 Platform - supporting local and global Innovation Q&A

In this discussion thread, feel free to ask questions related to the The DHIS2 Platform - supporting local and global Innovation Session of the 2020 DHIS2 Digital Annual Conference. You can post your questions ahead of, during, or after the session. The panellists will check this thread for questions, and select some for responding to in the session, or follow up after the session has ended. Feel free to respond to other questions or add to them if you have something to follow up with.

2 Likes

Waiting in the lobby to be accepted in the Room.

Regards

Continuous App Integration: Great!
Did you consider how in master<>slave setups a central team can manage the upgrade process of the remote instances?

Continuous application delivery:
Good that the apps are finally getting decoupled. Can you explain though how it will work with API syntax which comes from the core and which, previously have sometimes led to breaking functionality when something in core changes? versioning of the API has not always helped in the past

@theo good question - for clustered DHIS2 instances, the install/upgrade process is the same as installing a third-party app on a previous DHIS2 version (the install process has not changed). We may look into making this more streamlined in the future, but for now you just need to install the override app version on each server.

We are introducing something called “version toggling” to allow singular DHIS2 versions to support multiple DHIS2 versions.

Additionally, each version of an application on the App Hub has a well-defined DHIS2 version support range, so breaking changes in the API would require either version toggling or publication of a new application version with a higher minimum supported version.

Thanks, I think implementation of such a functionality for clustered instances is not extremely challenging. Would this be something you would consider? I am not representing a user base right now, but I could reach out to my previous organisation and ask them to raise a request

Design Lab seems an interesting project and hopefully many implementation issues will be resolved.

I am an implementer of DHIS2 in Nepal and is using 2.30 version (web-based). We are using DHIS2 to report monthly aggregate report from health facility. We have very poor internet in some parts of the country and with maximum effort also we are not able to report timely. So, my query is have we developed any app to enter aggregate HMIS data in offline mode: offline app in desktop would also solve our problem to a greater extend. Thank you.

Hi @samikshya - This is a common use-case and is definitely on the roadmap for the aggregate data entry app, which will be combined into the Capture app for all data capture functionality!

I believe offline data entry is supported in the current Data Entry app as well (cc @Lars @Markus) but it should be improved in the near future.