1200+ DEs in Event Model Program in Capture App, 2.35

Using 2.31.10, our 1244 DE program (with 100+ program rules) takes about 45 seconds to load, but after load the UX is very responsive and reliable. Of key note: we are using the Event Capture App in 2.31.10

with 2.35, the same program and metadata package loads quicker at onset, however lags 5-15 seconds for every value entered into each cell. This more or less renders the program un-enterable. This is with the Capture App.

Questions:

1. Anything that we could do to increase performance here? I recognize that splitting up the program into multiple programs is an “option”, but would like to prevent that at nearly all costs.
    a. Is there a reason that this program (currently in Sections) would perform better with a custom form? A basic form?
    b. It doesn’t appear to do so, but does the reduction of visibility of DEs (through Show/Hide) help in anyway the functionality of the system?
    c. Would a browser different than Chrome be worth exploring?
  2. Is there reason to believe 2.34, 2.33 would perform better than 2.35 in the capture app?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Update 12-2-2020: Jira Ticket created [DHIS2-10070] - Jira

Hey Matthew, thanks for reaching out :wave:. I am positive we can help out with this.

Anything that we could do to increase performance here? I recognise that splitting up the program into multiple programs is an “option”, but would like to prevent that at nearly all costs.

You are right when you say that splitting the program should be your last resort. Now, to answer your question, I think the best way to go forward would be for us to have the chance to investigate where the bottleneck lies in an environment with many rules. Similar to the one your organisation is having. I am reaching to you privately to discuss further this possibility. Please have a look on your inbox once you get the chance.

Is there a reason that this program (currently in Sections) would perform better with a custom form? A basic form?

If I understand you well here you are thinking the possibility of having custom forms in the capture app in the hope this will improve performance. However custom forms aren’t supported in the capture app any longer. This is mainly for security reasons.

It doesn’t appear to do so, but does the reduction of visibility of DEs (through Show/Hide) help in anyway the functionality of the system?

You are also right here when you say that the visibility isnt a factor to consider. I think this solely has to do with the way that the rules engine is validating under the hood.

Would a browser different than Chrome be worth exploring?

I dont think this is related to your browser. Chrome should be able to handle this :slight_smile:

Is there reason to believe 2.34, 2.33 would perform better than 2.35 in the capture app?

We have made some changes in the rules engine from v34 to v35. I think this is a good candidate into explaining why you are seeing these lags. However using the latest version is what is recommended from our team, so please dont fallback into a previous version. I am positive we will fix the lags you are seeing and you will be able to use the latest version without experiencing problems.

I will personally update this topic once we have more insights. Thanks again for reaching out @Matthew_Boddie

Thanks @christos. Sent you back a message–but I’ve pushed my program to Play 2.35.0:
https://play.dhis2.org/2.35.0/dhis-web-capture/index.html#/newEvent/programId=Ptdg3h3HcCO&orgUnitId=O6uvpzGd5pu

Perhaps this is the best way for us to have more conversation? Currently we have 2.35 only on our Sandbox server, so if we need to go that route for access, I can set something up for you as well.

@Matthew_Boddie excellent! Having it on play is even better than what I have suggested :slight_smile:

I am taking a look as we speak thanks again!

1 Like

@christos if you create a Jira ticket for this, can you please be sure to link it here so others can follow along on Jira? Thanks!

1 Like

Right @chase.freeman! Here is the ticket [DHIS2-10070] - Jira that @Matthew_Boddie has created.

1 Like

Alright, as I said I gonna post an update here.

Matthew uploaded the program he had trouble with to the https://play.dhis2.org/2.35.0 and https://play.dhis2.org/2.34.2. We will now run some investigations on our side. Again big thanks again to @Matthew_Boddie for reporting and for uploading the program to the instances.

As for the next steps, the ticket will be prioritised and we will start working on it.
Once we know what is the cause of the lags we will patch a fix on it. This way we hope you can use the capture app without having to slow you down :slight_smile:

2 Likes