Unable to access Users App after 2.32 -> 2.37.2 upgrade

@swoodworth Just to be sure, you upgraded “directly” to 2.37.2 from 2.32 right? Without deploying the intermediate version war files? It is recommended to directly upgrade without upgrading to intermittent versions.

1 Like

@Ameen indeed I did! I did do a direct upgrade. Though I had to manually fix the 2.32 → 2.33 migration.

1 Like

@Gassim I have managed to obtain a backup of the original 2.32 instance. I will redo the upgrade next week. For this week I am testing the metadata export / import solution.

1 Like

@swoodworth Will the test db be shareable with us? We can try the upgrade and try to figure out what the bug is? my email is ameen@dhis2.org

2 Likes

Hi @Ameen and others, sorry for the slow update but a whole lot of troubleshooting needed to be done.

This turns out not to be a DHIS2 problem at all and I am frankly embarrassed to admit this. But it’s important to understand how this problem manifested itself.

I received the 2.32 backup image last week. That server was configured with an NGINX reverse proxy with SSL cert provided by LetsEncrypt using CertBot. When I initially upgraded to 2.37.2 (and later 2.37.3), I redid the NGINX config, applying the latest nginx.conf template and making the necessary changes. This was sufficient to cause problems with the 2.37 version of DHIS2.

I only realised my mistake when I made a clean install of DHIS2 2.37.3 and thing immediately went wrong after I finished the NGINX and SSL config. But accessing DHIS2 via port 8080 revealed the problem was not present. I’m going mad I didn’t check that basic setup much sooner. In my defence my original 2.32 → 2.37 upgrade was always a little problematic. That;s why I switched to a clean install + metadata import, the configuration I’m running now.

So the solution was to dig out the older nginx,conf file from the 2.32 server backup and drop it in. I now have a working 2.37.3 instance, based on a clean install with metadata import from 2.32, running properly (so far!!). NGINX and SSL all working properly too.

2 Likes

Great to hear its all sorted out @swoodworth !

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing! (:

I’m just making sure the metadata import is from 2.32 and you’re importing it to 2.37, does that even work? @Ameen
Thanks!