Need help - Using count distinct clause to eliminate repetitive data

Hey guys - you can have a look at this thread - using custom aggregation type to count distinct values:

Hi @dhuser,

I have voted the issue.

Thanks

Hi @Markus,

I can not access the link. I get the following message: ‘The page doesn’t exist or is private.’

Thanks

H @fernando. seems like the topic was deleted by accident, I undeleted it. Can you see the topic now?

Hi @Karoline,

I used the following syntax as suggested by @Markus, but it is not working:

count(distinct #{dataElement})

Thanks

Hi @fernando,
How are you? I see you edited the post from December, are you still facing an issue? Please let me know so I follow up with this.

@dhis2-tracker team would you check this post please.

Hi @Gassim,

Yes, I am still facing the issue. I never got the solution.

Thanks

Hi @Gassim,

I am facing this issue too. using DHIS2 2.31.7.
PI:

1. Expression

2. Aggregate type

My objective, need to count distinct data on program stage. But when go to pivot table, got nothing.

Thanks.

Ditto @fernando and @LCaynar in 2.35.3, distinct count is not functional. Definitely agree that this would be very valuable.

1 Like

Hi there @LCaynar and @Matthew_Boddie ,
There was a slight mixup in the expression syntax above. When using te “CUSTOM” aggregation type, you would have to insert the aggregation keyword around the expression like this:

count(distinct #{dataElement})

1 Like

I have tried this and commented in the post Program indicator for count of unique/distinct values - #17 by Matthew_Boddie (as have others) on this not being functional. Though perhaps we are doing something incorrect?

Thanks - It does indeed seem like a bug. You can follow the ticket here: [DHIS2-11327] - Jira

1 Like

Came back to this and seeing now that this is done as of a few months ago! Excited for future patches that will include the distinct count fix.

CC @lorimetz4 @jillianberkowitz @chase.freeman @megankill @dhuser

3 Likes

@Matthew_Boddie thanks, isn’t it already available in 2.38.0 and the latest releases? Or do you mean when you update/upgrade your instance/s?

Thanks!

2.36.11, 2.37.7, and 2.35.14 aren’t released yet to my knowledge, which is where the distinct count is noted to be effective-- right @Gassim ?

1 Like

Thanks Matthew! From Jim Grace’s comments in the Jira issue you shared, it has been back ported to 2.36.10 (released) and 2.37.5 (2.37.6 is the latest release). And, yes, 2.35.14 hasn’t been released yet so if you’re on 2.35, you’re right you’d need to wait. :pray:

I can confirm that this functionality does exist! Very much looking forward to testing and seeing how far I can take this use (for example, if I can concatenate values within the distinct (count()) expression.

2 Likes

Unfortunately this only works for Number fields—or at least I can say definitively that it does not work for text fields. Without string functionality there isn’t much value in this for my use case. Made a note on the ticket in hopes Text fields can also be included!

2 Likes

The issue is still there and have not been fixed yet. Would be great to see if any progress have been made there.

@Daler Agreed! Created a ticket for this specifically a few months back—[DHIS2-14769] - Jira

Update: @Jim_Grace responded to the follow-up, so it should be updated soon!

3 Likes