How can my health system adopt DHIS2 without funding?

My health system in Trinidad has lots of data issues and I am seeking to help solve it using DHIS2 as the central backbone.

Who can help please

1 Like

Hi @GeeZee,

It is possible but even then you would still need some finances to cover the infrastructure. I will give you my experience in Uganda where we have similar data issues. We have started with only two stand alone instances using two laptops for a pilot, 2 months down the road and there’s a huge improvement in the way data is captured and managed. This is all being done under the watchful eye of the top administration at the hospital and also recently made contact with the Ministry of Health. We hope for interested third parties to fund it to a much higher level like covering the entire hospital. So i believe adopting dhis2 without funding is a possibility.

1 Like

Thanks Herbert for this encouraging response but how did you get the initial DHIS2 unto your two computers. Is it a freely downloadable app.

If yes, guide me on how to do it. Don’t be too careful, I am a little savvy with computer matters but I am just trying to take precaution and ask everything.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Godson

1 Like

Hi Godzon,

Welcome to the CoP and that you for your inquiry. The CoP is the best place for questions like this. I am tagging @olatitle who is a senior DHIS2 implementor at HISP-University of Oslo for his guidance.

Best regards,
Kjerstin

1 Like

Thanks so much Kjerstin,

Looking forward to that guidance please

Kind regards,

Godson

1 Like

Hello Kjerstin,

I hope this email finds you well.

I am guessing @olatitle is a little busy right now but I just wanted to reaffirm my need for guidance on DHIS2.

I will keep looking forward to hearing from him.

Many thanks again,

Godson

1 Like

Dear Herbert,

I hope this mail finds you well.

You responded to my initial email about adopting DHIS2. I am still grateful for that response.

Could you please help me with some more guidance on the following:

1. From where do I get the software to install it. Is it freely downloadable?

If not, how does it get purchased, what are the cost implications?

1. How do I get to learn how to operate DHIS2? Is there a tutorial/handbook or It must be face-to-face?

2. What’s the minimum infrastructure to begin with?

Please advise, I am already so grateful for your support.

Regards,

Godson

1 Like

Dear Kjerstin,

I am hoping this email finds you well. I am still grateful for your response to my first email.

This is just a gentle reminder concerning learning and adopting DHIS2 in Trinidad.

Is there some way I could reach Ola or some other person who is enabled to provide guidance?

Is there some pilot project that could be implemented in here to kick-start the process of adoption of DHIS2.

I am completely certain that it is needed here. The government has even thought of buying into it in the past but I think there is some lassitude.

Please if there is some way I could be guided to start carefully to learn and pilot something to redirect corporate attention to DHIS2,

I would be most grateful. The system needs a HMIS as robust as possible.

I am looking forward to your support and assistance and thanking you already, in advance.

Kind regards,

Godson

1 Like

Hi @GeeZee,

DHIS2 is open source meaning its absolutely free and freely downloadable. Please follow this link on the instructions on how to download and install dhis2. http://dhis-2.blogspot.com/. For instructions on operation of dhis2, you can grab yourself a manual at https://docs.dhis2.org/. About infrastructure, please refer to the implementation manual about implementation strategies. For more information we could get in touch over a skype call.

Regards.

1 Like

Hello @GeeZee,

I would like to recommend you to first learn more about DHIS2 before you can proceed with implementing it in your country. check out Where can I find DHIS 2 Quickstart Tutorial? - #5 by jomutsani for a free online course for you to get familiarized with DHIS2 and also learn about it’s functionality, and how you can apply it in real time.

In case you need further help, kindly get in touch with me and I will do my best to assist.

Yours truly,
James.

Dear Godson,

This week and next week are very busy for @olatitle with the DHIS2 Annual Conference and preparations.

It is great to see that other community members have been responding to you!

Best regards,
Kjerstin

1 Like

Thanks man,

Really appreciate it.

I shall talk to you again once I’ve put things together.

But if you have info concerning structured training, I’d be grateful to hear it.

Regards,

Godson

1 Like

Thanks so much James,

I sure appreciate this. I will definitely check out all you’ve recommended and get back to you.

Kind regards,

Godson

1 Like

Yes Yes, they are responding. And I appreciate it.

Thanks so much Kjerstin

1 Like

Hi @GeeZee

Believe it or not, DHIS2 has been used in Trinidad and Tobago for a number of years. Not by national government but by regional organisation (CARPHA - Caribbean Public Health Agency). Maybe it would be useful to contact them in their office in Port of Spain. They will also be in touch with government.

As per the general question, it is a hard to imagine implementing DHIS2 with no funding, though certainly if you have the skills and experience to do things yourself it can be done relatively cheaply. FWIW I have seen a number of cases where relatively shoe string implementations have been more successful and sustainable than those which have received substantial external funding. Sometimes this is about the motivations of people involved. But also about making a realistic plan which you can financially sustain year on year.

Cheers
Bob

1 Like