Web & Android App Development Webinar - Q&A and Discussions

Hi Samuel - if you create a new topic here on community.dhis2.org we can help you get it working - please include the exact error message you see when compiling, as well as which versions of Node, Yarn, and @dhis2/cli-app-scripts you are using. (cc @debora)

Good question @besourabh - the first core DHIS2 application which will support PWA and offline mode will be the Dashboard, so read-only data access through the App Runtime (i.e. downloading metadata or analytics) will be covered first. After that we will also add support for post-syncronized data entry, for example in the DHIS2 core data entry app which will be rewritten soon.

1 Like

Does the Android SDK consume all the available API endpoints? if not what’s the percentage?

The Android SDK feels quite low level; will there be a higher level API at some point? For example, generic “synchronize everything”.

is there a way to configure 2 servers for read/write:
-1 onsite for local access when at the PHCC/site (faster and reliable when internet drops)
-1 in the cloud (online for when working from home/providing remote support)
the 2 servers are synced/synching both ways

Are there plans to support other Android development tools (like Flutter or React Native)?

2 Likes

One of issues that can be observed with both DHIS2 Android and web apps that I have seen is the verbose/lengthy error/exception messages which makes the debugging a little challenging. Is there some effort going on towards making such error messages more precisely informative at the core level?

I’m working with this, and I’m looking forward for some community effort. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome. Which tool are you working on?

Using flutter, and my problem of course is the endless encoding/decoding of messages and message passing between Dart and the java-side. Slow work. Also makes it very easy to hit bugs in the SDK.

A suitable discussion for Slack, I think.

Hi @RModi , There are some improvements that are coming app in 1.4 (2.4 android application). I think that right now the app shows where (dataelement/attributes) the error happens (this has improved quite a bit during the last versions). There are ongoing efforts in order to make those errors logs stored at the core level as well (Server side), so it should be easier for system admins/implementers to troubleshoot the issues

@jose Do you have any details on the “componented ui” for the android SDK?

I’m interested in building the previously mentioned “bulk editing” app, i presume this will require previous extensive experience in web development, or will basic CRUD functionalities be also briefed in the workshop on 17-18 mar?

Well noted, thanks @jose. Looking forward to the improved experience.

Hi @sekiskylink, I’m sharing this guide as well and hopefully it will help you setup your app. Please let us if you’re still having issues on a new topic and we’ll look into that for sure!

2 Likes

Thanks, @debora & @austin for the leads. I was eventually successful. I also needed to update my version of node-js to the latest version, as well as most of my pre-existing modules.

2 Likes

Happy to hear that it worked out in the end! @sekiskylink :slight_smile: Would you mind sharing more about which guide or documentation helped you in getting up and running? So that we can improve on our resources :pray:

1 Like

Hi all

The recording of the webinar is now available on our YouTube channel.

Chère communauté francophone, les sous-titres en français sont disponibles pour les présentations sur la platform Web et Android SDK.

1 Like

Hello Gassim, can I use react-native in developing mobile apps for dhis2. Thank you

Welcome to the community @fmwesigwa . I moved your post to a related topic. Since I’m into app development as well, I have asked @austin a similar question so I’d like to quote him:

“we don’t currently support that [React Native] (officially) for DHIS2 apps - you can create DHIS2 Android Apps with the Android SDK

BTW, you’re not the first to ask! If you search for “react native” in the community search,
you’ll find users who’ve asked the same question. :slight_smile:

1 Like