User level setting and Default value in Data Entry form

Hello,

DHIS2 Version: 2.11Build revision: 10445
This is not an bug but understanding of DHIS2 functionality as such no logs are attached.

The requirement is as following :

We have a org-unit ABC for which we have a user , user1 which can only enter data for dataset X (frequency daily).

We have another user, user2, of the same org-unit X, who can enter data for dataset X and Y as well as can do single event without registration for a program P

We want to achieve the following :

1. When user1 logs in he will be presented with “Data Entry” screen while when user2 logs in he will be presented with “individual record/single event without registration”. Is it possible to have different Start page for different users or is it a global setting only?

2. When user1 logs in in the “Data Entry” screen the organization is pre-selected with org-unit ABC by virtue of the organization association. In that data screen the ONLY value for “DataSet” should be PRE-SELECTED to X and the ONLY value for “Period” should be PRE-SELECTED to the current period (in this case as it is daily frequency so it should be current date). We know how to provide access to user1 to dataset X, but not sure how to achieve showing One and Only default value (Highlighted by the word ONLY and PRE-SELECTED) in these two fields (Data Set and Period). That means, we want user1 to NOT choose any value from the dropdown for both dataset and period field, instead use the defaulted values only

3. This situation is very similar to above with the only difference being in this case it will not be the ONLY value. When user2 logis in the “Data Entry” screen the organization is pre-selected with org-unit ABC. In that data screen the value for “DataSet” should be Defaulted/PRE-SELECTED to X though the user can choose dataset Y as user2 has access to both X and Y. Similarly,in the Period field, user2 can choose any period from the dropdown, but the default/PRE-SELECTED value should be the current period (for daily frequency to current date). Again, we know how to provide access to user2 to dataset X & Y , but not sure how to achieve the PRE-SELECTION in these two fields (dataset and period).

4. Lastly, when user1 is logged in in the system at period end (i.e at 24.00 hour of the current date), is it possible to systematically (automatically) change the Period to the next period (i.e in the case of dataset X to the next date) . This is related with question 2, i.e. how to show a single, pre-selected current period value in the “Period” field of a custom form.

Please let us know the best possible option to achieve this in DHIS2. Is it possible to do with configuration, javascript etc or do we need to change the core DHIS2 code to achieve these functionalities. If code change is required please provide us few pointers so that one of my team developer, who is a good Java developer but started in DHIS2 can pick it up.

Thanks,

Rajib

Hello All,

Any suggestions in these requirement? We really want to know what is possible or not in DHIS2 by configuration as soon as possible, so that we can move on to do required code customization to meet our requirement

Thanks,

Rajib

···

To:dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.netdhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net
Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2013 2:33 PM
Subject: [Dhis2-devs] User level setting and Default value in Data Entry form

Hello,

This is not an bug but understanding of DHIS2 functionality as such no logs are attached.

We have a org-unit ABC for which we have a user , user1 which can only enter data for
dataset X (frequency daily).

We have another user, user2, of the same org-unit X, who can enter data for dataset X and Y as well as can do single event without registration for a program P

1. When user1 logs in he will be presented with “Data Entry” screen while when user2 logs in he will be presented with “individual record/single event without registration”. Is it possible to have different Start page for different users or is it a global setting only?

2. When user1 logs in in the “Data Entry” screen the organization is pre-selected with org-unit ABC by virtue of the organization association. In that data screen the ONLY value for “DataSet” should be
    PRE-SELECTED to X and the ONLY value for “Period” should be PRE-SELECTED to the current period (in this case as it is daily frequency so it should be current date). We know how to provide access to user1 to dataset X, but not sure how to achieve showing One and Only default value (Highlighted by the word ONLY and PRE-SELECTED) in these two fields (Data Set and Period). That means, we want user1 to NOT choose any value from the dropdown for both dataset and period field, instead use the defaulted values only

3. This situation is very similar to above with the only difference being in this case it will not be the
    ONLY value. When user2 logis in the “Data Entry” screen the organization is pre-selected with org-unit ABC. In that data screen the value for “DataSet” should be Defaulted/PRE-SELECTED to X though the user can choose dataset Y as user2 has access to both X and Y. Similarly,in the Period field, user2 can choose any period from the dropdown, but the default/PRE-SELECTED value should be the current period (for daily frequency to current date). Again, we know how to provide access to user2 to dataset X & Y , but not sure how to achieve the PRE-SELECTION in these two fields (dataset and period).

4. Lastly, when user1 is logged in in the system at period end (i.e at 24.00 hour of the current date), is it possible to systematically (automatically) change the Period to the next period (i.e in the case of dataset X to the next date) . This is related with question 2, i.e. how to show a single, pre-selected current period value in the “Period” field of a custom form.

Please let us know the best possible option to achieve this in DHIS2. Is it possible to do with
configuration, javascript etc or do we need to change the core DHIS2 code to achieve these functionalities. If code change is required please provide us few pointers so that one of my team developer, who is a good Java developer but started in DHIS2 can pick it up.

Thanks,

Rajib

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs
Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Sunday is a holiday in many countries. What makes you feel entitled to immediate replies to a long and complex email? I have no idea who you are or the reasons for your urgency.

···

Sent from my mobile

On Apr 22, 2013 7:53 AM, “Rajib Sengupta” rajibs123@yahoo.com wrote:

Hello All,

Any suggestions in these requirement? We really want to know what is possible or not in DHIS2 by configuration as soon as possible, so that we can move on to do required code customization to meet our requirement

Thanks,

Rajib

Hello,

We have a org-unit ABC for which we have a user , user1 which can only enter data for dataset X (frequency daily).

1. When user1 logs in in the “Data Entry” screen the organization is pre-selected with org-unit ABC by virtue of the organization association. In that data screen the ONLY value for “DataSet” should be PRE-SELECTED to X and the ONLY value for “Period” should be PRE-SELECTED to the current period (in this case as it is daily frequency so it should be current date). We know how to provide access to user1 to dataset X, but not sure how to achieve showing One and Only default value (Highlighted by the word ONLY and PRE-SELECTED) in these two fields (Data Set and Period). That means, we want user1 to NOT choose any value from the dropdown for both dataset and period field, instead use the defaulted values only
  1. This situation is very similar to above with the only difference being in this case it will not be the ONLY value. When user2 logis in the “Data Entry” screen the organization is pre-selected with org-unit ABC. In that data screen the value for “DataSet” should be Defaulted/PRE-SELECTED to X though the user can choose dataset Y as user2 has access to both X and Y. Similarly,in the Period field, user2 can choose any period from the dropdown, but the default/PRE-SELECTED value should be the current period (for daily frequency to current date). Again, we know how to provide access to user2 to dataset X & Y , but not sure how to achieve the PRE-SELECTION in these two fields (dataset and period).
  1. Lastly, when user1 is logged in in the system at period end (i.e at 24.00 hour of the current date), is it possible to systematically (automatically) change the Period to the next period (i.e in the case of dataset X to the next date) . This is related with question 2, i.e. how to show a single, pre-selected current period value in the “Period” field of a custom form.

Please let us know the best possible option to achieve this in DHIS2. Is it possible to do with configuration, javascript etc or do we need to change the core DHIS2 code to achieve these functionalities. If code change is required please provide us few pointers so that one of my team developer, who is a good Java developer but started in DHIS2 can pick it up.

Thanks,

Rajib

www.missionarogya.org

Knut,

I am sorry if my email sound to be an entitlement.

It really doesn’t matter much who I am, as I do not want any preferential treatment due to that :slight_smile: But from an organization perspective (www.missionarogya.org) we are using DHIS2 for a project and I am the project manager for that project.

Regarding your second question about urgency - We were working round the clock over this weekend to get the work done as we had a demo yesterday (Monday). As , I saw few emails going back and forth , I thought to send this email to the DHIS2 dev list wondering if we can get a quick reply - that’s it :slight_smile:

As I have been involved in several opensource community for a while (though I am new to DHIS2), I have seen that during the weekend the dev team is most active due to the volunteer nature of opensource projects

I am again sorry if I hurt you or anyone else’s sentiment by not respecting their vacation time …

Still, I will really appreciate if you (or anyone else) can reply at your convenience.

Thanks for understanding,

Rajib

···

To: Rajib Sengupta rajibs123@yahoo.com
Cc: DHIS 2 developers dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:00 AM
Subject: Re: [Dhis2-devs] User level setting and Default value in Data Entry form

Sunday is a holiday in many countries. What makes you feel entitled to immediate replies to a long and complex email? I have no idea who you are or the reasons for your urgency.

Sent from my mobile

Hello All,

Thanks,

Rajib

Hello,

We have a
org-unit ABC for which we have a user , user1 which can only enter data for
dataset X (frequency daily).

1. When user1 logs in in the “Data Entry” screen the organization is pre-selected with org-unit ABC by virtue of the organization association. In that data screen the ONLY value for “DataSet” should be
    PRE-SELECTED to X and the ONLY value for “Period” should be PRE-SELECTED to the current period (in this case as it is daily frequency so it should be current date). We know how to provide access to user1 to dataset X, but not sure how to achieve showing One and Only default value (Highlighted by the word ONLY and PRE-SELECTED) in these two fields (Data Set and Period). That means, we want user1 to NOT choose any value from the dropdown for both dataset and period field, instead use the defaulted values only
  1. This situation is very similar to above with the only difference being in this case it will not be the
    ONLY value. When user2 logis in the “Data Entry” screen the organization is pre-selected with org-unit ABC. In that data screen the value for “DataSet” should be Defaulted/PRE-SELECTED to X though the user can choose dataset Y as user2 has access to both X and Y. Similarly,in the Period field, user2 can choose any period from the dropdown, but the default/PRE-SELECTED value should be the current period (for daily frequency to current date). Again, we know how to provide access to user2 to dataset X & Y , but not sure how to achieve the PRE-SELECTION in these two fields (dataset and period).
  1. Lastly, when user1 is logged in in the system at period end (i.e at 24.00 hour of the current date), is it possible to systematically (automatically) change the Period to the next period (i.e in the case of dataset X to the next date) . This is related with question 2, i.e. how to show a single, pre-selected current period value in the “Period” field of a custom form.

Please let us know the best possible option to achieve this in DHIS2. Is it possible to do with
configuration, javascript etc or do we need to change the core DHIS2 code to achieve these functionalities. If code change is required please provide us few pointers so that one of my team developer, who is a good Java developer but started in DHIS2 can pick it up.

Thanks,

Rajib

www.missionarogya.org

Hi Rajib,

I do not want to discourage your participation in the project or on the list, and I certainly understand that you were in a hurry because of a demo - just wanted to point out that we are not part of your plans and don’t know your deadlines.

As you have correctly observed, many people do respond to emails also during the weekend or late at night, but you just cannot expect people to set aside an hour or more to understand your very specific requirements and detailed answers to complex queries. It may well happen, but you would probably be better off cutting it in more easy to digest pieces. Requests for new functionality would have to be aligned with the roadmap for 2.12 (June) or 2.13 (Oct)

Knut

···

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Rajib Sengupta rajibs123@yahoo.com wrote:

Knut,

It really doesn’t matter much who I am, as I do not want any preferential treatment due to that :slight_smile: But from an organization perspective (www.missionarogya.org) we are using DHIS2 for a project and I am the project manager for that project.

Regarding your second question about urgency - We were working round the clock over this weekend to get the work done as we had a demo yesterday (Monday). As , I saw few emails going back and forth , I thought to send this email to the DHIS2 dev list wondering if we can get a quick reply - that’s it :slight_smile:

As I have been involved in several opensource community for a while (though I am new to DHIS2), I have seen that during the weekend the dev team is most active due to the volunteer nature of opensource projects

I am again sorry if I hurt you or anyone else’s sentiment by not respecting their vacation time …

Still, I will really appreciate if you (or anyone else) can reply at your convenience.

Rajib

www.missionarogya.org

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-devs] User level setting and Default value in Data Entry form

Sent from my mobile

Hello All,

Thanks,

Rajib

Hello,

1. When user1 logs in in the “Data Entry” screen the organization is pre-selected with org-unit ABC by virtue of the organization association. In that data screen the ONLY value for “DataSet” should be PRE-SELECTED to X and the ONLY value for “Period” should be PRE-SELECTED to the current period (in this case as it is daily frequency so it should be current date). We know how to provide access to user1 to dataset X, but not sure how to achieve showing One and Only default value (Highlighted by the word ONLY and PRE-SELECTED) in these two fields (Data Set and Period). That means, we want user1 to NOT choose any value from the dropdown for both dataset and period field, instead use the defaulted values only
  1. This situation is very similar to above with the only difference being in this case it will not be the ONLY value. When user2 logis in the “Data Entry” screen the organization is pre-selected with org-unit ABC. In that data screen the value for “DataSet” should be Defaulted/PRE-SELECTED to X though the user can choose dataset Y as user2 has access to both X and Y. Similarly,in the Period field, user2 can choose any period from the dropdown, but the default/PRE-SELECTED value should be the current period (for daily frequency to current date). Again, we know how to provide access to user2 to dataset X & Y , but not sure how to achieve the PRE-SELECTION in these two fields (dataset and period).

Thanks,

Rajib

www.missionarogya.org

Knut Staring

Dept. of Informatics, University of Oslo

+4791880522

http://dhis2.org

Hi Rajib,
It can be useful for the community to give some background on your project. It is also not really appropriate to send the same email multiple times. Remember the list is a community and based on volunteer contributions, and not a help desk.

I would suggest you have your developer prepare patches to the application, and submit these to the develolpment team, who can review your contributions, especially given your tight timeline. Your requirements do sound very specific to me though, and somewhat not inline with the flexible approach of data entry of DHIS2.

Regards,

Jason

···

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Knut Staring knutst@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Rajib,

I do not want to discourage your participation in the project or on the list, and I certainly understand that you were in a hurry because of a demo - just wanted to point out that we are not part of your plans and don’t know your deadlines.

As you have correctly observed, many people do respond to emails also during the weekend or late at night, but you just cannot expect people to set aside an hour or more to understand your very specific requirements and detailed answers to complex queries. It may well happen, but you would probably be better off cutting it in more easy to digest pieces. Requests for new functionality would have to be aligned with the roadmap for 2.12 (June) or 2.13 (Oct)

Knut

Knut,

Rajib

www.missionarogya.org

Sent from my mobile

Hello All,

Thanks,

Rajib

Hello,

Thanks,

Rajib

www.missionarogya.org

Knut Staring

Dept. of Informatics, University of Oslo

+4791880522

http://dhis2.org

Hello List,

I think we should try to address the issue listed. I have tried little bit on trail email. It would be nice

and appreciated if more ideas will come for the listed scenario.

Regards,
Brajesh

···

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Rajib,
It can be useful for the community to give some background on your project. It is also not really appropriate to send the same email multiple times. Remember the list is a community and based on volunteer contributions, and not a help desk.

I would suggest you have your developer prepare patches to the application, and submit these to the develolpment team, who can review your contributions, especially given your tight timeline. Your requirements do sound very specific to me though, and somewhat not inline with the flexible approach of data entry of DHIS2.

Regards,

Jason

Yes. This is possible to have different start page for each individual end user. But configuration is bit trickery, and for doing it we first create

a user and assign credential to super user role or any user with credential to access maintenance - >setting ->appearance, from where

we select first start page which is the last drop down in this view. and than reassign the user role back to normal data entry user. I think

this is the best practice.

Yes. This can be done for certain specific requirement but in current scenario, there is no such functionality available as aspect ed above.

For this it can be fissile to make a separate functionality some where in setting to select custom period and data set selection, from where

super user can select for this customization. I think it will require to make a separate blue print for upcoming release.

I think it is very similar to point 2.

In DHIS2, periods and period types are picked from tables. But it is possible for daily period could be directly picked and saved in period through system current date and time. For this to will require to create a separate blue print for upcoming release.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Knut Staring knutst@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Rajib,

Knut

Knut,

Rajib

www.missionarogya.org

Sent from my mobile

Hello All,

Thanks,

Rajib

Hello,

Thanks,

Rajib

www.missionarogya.org

Knut Staring