Surveillance Alerts - Sending Alerts

Dear Team and Jim

Thanks for this validation rule type that helps us send alerts above set thresholds. Am planning to implement it on one of our use case - Maternal and Neonatal Weekly death reports. Basically I want sms sent to a group of users whenever a maternal or neonatal death is reported.

First of all the two challenges I have are:

• Sending to users assigned a given user role as opposed to sending to users in a given group. Its easier to send to a user group as opposed to the current design that only allows to send to users assigned a given user role. First of all am not sure what different authorities this role should have. Secondary in a situation where I have no rights to create a user role I cant implement this like the case of Uganda national DHIS2.

So I would suggest we either add sending to a user group.

• Ability to localize the alerts to the hierarchy; right now we can only send alerts to a central team otherwise it creates a lot of noise if we send to user of lower levels for them to be relevant. A user in districts B may not be interested in alerts from district C would rather only receive from his only district. But currently if a user in District B is assigned the alert role, he/she will receive alerts from all districts.

Regards

···

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH
Phone: +256 414 320076
Cell: +256 772 139037
+256 752 751776

Prosper, thanks for the feedback. The role is only used to identify a group of users, so it doesn’t matter what authorities the role has. You could create any number of otherwise dummy roles for this purpose.

But your point is very well taken that user groups are in general easier to set up and administer (without needing the authority to create roles.) That’s a very good suggestion for the future.

Thanks,

Jim

···

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Prosper BT ptb3000@gmail.com wrote:

Dear Team and Jim

Thanks for this validation rule type that helps us send alerts above set thresholds. Am planning to implement it on one of our use case - Maternal and Neonatal Weekly death reports. Basically I want sms sent to a group of users whenever a maternal or neonatal death is reported.

• Sending to users assigned a given user role as opposed to sending to users in a given group. Its easier to send to a user group as opposed to the current design that only allows to send to users assigned a given user role. First of all am not sure what different authorities this role should have. Secondary in a situation where I have no rights to create a user role I cant implement this like the case of Uganda national DHIS2.

• Ability to localize the alerts to the hierarchy; right now we can only send alerts to a central team otherwise it creates a lot of noise if we send to user of lower levels for them to be relevant. A user in districts B may not be interested in alerts from district C would rather only receive from his only district. But currently if a user in District B is assigned the alert role, he/she will receive alerts from all districts.

Regards

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

You also raise a good point about sending alerts from different parts of the org unit hierarchy to different groups of users. I’m trying to imagine how this could be configured. Perhaps when you configure a validation rule group you could choose a point in the org unit hierarchy and assign a user group to be alerted for organisations at or below that point – and then you could make similar assignments for other points in the org unit hierarchy as well. This sounds very useful to me, if a bit awkward. Can you imagine a simpler mechanism?

If you can say a bit more about the use case, that also strengthens the case for a new feature. In particular, can you tell me what kinds of position(s) the users have who want to know about maternal or neonatal deaths in their district?

Thanks,

Jim

···

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Jim Grace jimgrace@gmail.com wrote:

Prosper, thanks for the feedback. The role is only used to identify a group of users, so it doesn’t matter what authorities the role has. You could create any number of otherwise dummy roles for this purpose.

But your point is very well taken that user groups are in general easier to set up and administer (without needing the authority to create roles.) That’s a very good suggestion for the future.

Thanks,

Jim

Dear Team and Jim

Regards

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Thanks Jim for the quick response.

As we talk about the two the more I see them complicated.

For the user role, my use case is on the Uganda national system where user roles and creating users is guarded like a gold mine. Only two people allowed to create roles and users though the rest of us can create user groups. But for now I will ask them to create a user role with only one role that can do much with the system and try it out.

For the second one, my use case is in four districts where community health workers are sending weekly maternal surveillance reports. These are like over 4000 villages in level 5 on the hierarchy. I want districts at level 3 to receive alerts whenever a death is reported

So if I implement it the way it is now, I have to create 4 district accounts and assign all them the alert user role. Once a death happen in one district all the districts will receive the alert.

May be as you suggest we should add hierarchy selection (level) in creating the rule and if we specify sending to a given level (district, region, national,…) an alert is only sent to only users assigned to that level and only for that hierarchy of that orgunit.

Example

Uganda/Northern Region/Gulu District/Alur Soubcounty/Gulu Hospital/Village A

Uganda/Western Region/Kibaale District/Mutoke Soubcounty/Kagadi Hospital/Village W

If death is reported from Village W and the rule was set to send to only users at level 3 only users assigned to Kibaale District with the alert role should receive the alert, but if level 1 is chosen then all users assigned to Uganda would receive the alert.

Regards

···

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Jim Grace jimgrace@gmail.com wrote:

You also raise a good point about sending alerts from different parts of the org unit hierarchy to different groups of users. I’m trying to imagine how this could be configured. Perhaps when you configure a validation rule group you could choose a point in the org unit hierarchy and assign a user group to be alerted for organisations at or below that point – and then you could make similar assignments for other points in the org unit hierarchy as well. This sounds very useful to me, if a bit awkward. Can you imagine a simpler mechanism?

If you can say a bit more about the use case, that also strengthens the case for a new feature. In particular, can you tell me what kinds of position(s) the users have who want to know about maternal or neonatal deaths in their district?

Thanks,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH
+256 752 751776

Thanks,

Jim

Dear Team and Jim

Regards

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Maybe the most useful next step is to leave the user interface the same, but filter for the organisation unit assigned to the user when sending the messages. So for example a national user would see alerts from anywhere in the country, but a district user would see alerts only from within their district. (We probably should have done it that way in the first place!) Would this help?

Cheers,

Jim

···

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Prosper BT ptb3000@gmail.com wrote:

For the user role, my use case is on the Uganda national system where user roles and creating users is guarded like a gold mine. Only two people allowed to create roles and users though the rest of us can create user groups. But for now I will ask them to create a user role with only one role that can do much with the system and try it out.

For the second one, my use case is in four districts where community health workers are sending weekly maternal surveillance reports. These are like over 4000 villages in level 5 on the hierarchy. I want districts at level 3 to receive alerts whenever a death is reported

So if I implement it the way it is now, I have to create 4 district accounts and assign all them the alert user role. Once a death happen in one district all the districts will receive the alert.

May be as you suggest we should add hierarchy selection (level) in creating the rule and if we specify sending to a given level (district, region, national,…) an alert is only sent to only users assigned to that level and only for that hierarchy of that orgunit.

Example

Uganda/Western Region/Kibaale District/Mutoke Soubcounty/Kagadi Hospital/Village W

If death is reported from Village W and the rule was set to send to only users at level 3 only users assigned to Kibaale District with the alert role should receive the alert, but if level 1 is chosen then all users assigned to Uganda would receive the alert.

Regards

Thanks,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Thanks,

Jim

Dear Team and Jim

Regards

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Yes Jim this would suit my use case, but not sure if its global enough others can comment may be

···

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM, Jim Grace jimgrace@gmail.com wrote:

Maybe the most useful next step is to leave the user interface the same, but filter for the organisation unit assigned to the user when sending the messages. So for example a national user would see alerts from anywhere in the country, but a district user would see alerts only from within their district. (We probably should have done it that way in the first place!) Would this help?

Cheers,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH
+256 752 751776

Example

Regards

Thanks,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Thanks,

Jim

Dear Team and Jim

Regards

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

I think this is very close to a requirement that is likely to come
out of the mobile team in the near future to solve automatic
generation of SMS (and potentially e-mail) reports to users with
specific roles triggered by a completed data set.

Br,

_Andreas_
···

On 06. mars 2014 20:26, Prosper BT
wrote:

Yes Jim this would suit my use case, but not sure

if its global enough others can comment may be

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM, Jim

Grace jimgrace@gmail.com
wrote:

Maybe the most useful next step is to leave

the user interface the same, but filter for the
organisation unit assigned to the user when sending the
messages. So for example a national user would see alerts
from anywhere in the country, but a district user would
see alerts only from within their district. (We probably
should have done it that way in the first place!) Would
this help?

Cheers,

Jim

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 2:15

PM, Prosper BT ptb3000@gmail.com
wrote:

As we talk about the two the more I see

them complicated.

For the user role, my use case is on the

Uganda national system where user roles and
creating users is guarded like a gold mine.
Only two people allowed to create roles and
users though the rest of us can create user
groups. But for now I will ask them to create
a user role with only one role that can do
much with the system and try it out.

For the second one, my use case is in four

districts where community health workers are
sending weekly maternal surveillance reports.
These are like over 4000 villages in level 5
on the hierarchy. I want districts at level 3
to receive alerts whenever a death is reported

So if I implement it the way it is now, I

have to create 4 district accounts and assign
all them the alert user role. Once a death
happen in one district all the districts will
receive the alert.

May be as you suggest we should add

hierarchy selection (level) in creating the
rule and if we specify sending to a given
level (district, region, national,…) an
alert is only sent to only users assigned to
that level and only for that hierarchy of that
orgunit.

Example

Uganda/Northern Region/Gulu District/Alur

Soubcounty/Gulu Hospital/Village A

Uganda/Western Region/Kibaale

District/Mutoke Soubcounty/Kagadi
Hospital/Village W

If death is reported from Village W and the

rule was set to send to only users at level 3
only users assigned to Kibaale District with
the alert role should receive the alert, but
if level 1 is chosen then all users assigned
to Uganda would receive the alert.

Regards

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014

at 9:39 PM, Jim Grace jimgrace@gmail.com
wrote:

You also raise a good

point about sending alerts from
different parts of the org unit
hierarchy to different groups of
users. I’m trying to imagine how this
could be configured. Perhaps when you
configure a validation rule group you
could choose a point in the org unit
hierarchy and assign a user group to
be alerted for organisations at or
below that point – and then you could
make similar assignments for other
points in the org unit hierarchy as
well. This sounds very useful to me,
if a bit awkward. Can you imagine a
simpler mechanism?

If you can say a bit more about

the use case, that also strengthens
the case for a new feature. In
particular, can you tell me what
kinds of position(s) the users have
who want to know about maternal
or neonatal deaths in their
district?

Thanks,

Jim

On Thu,

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Jim
Grace jimgrace@gmail.com
wrote:

Prosper, thanks

for the feedback. The role
is only used to identify a
group of users, so it
doesn’t matter what
authorities the role has.
You could create any number
of otherwise dummy roles for
this purpose.

But your point is very

well taken that user
groups are in general
easier to set up and
administer (without
needing the authority to
create roles.) That’s a
very good suggestion for
the future.

Thanks,

Jim

On

Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at
12:53 PM, Prosper BT ptb3000@gmail.com
wrote:

Dear

Team and Jim

Thanks for

this validation
rule type that
helps us send
alerts above set
thresholds. Am
planning to
implement it on
one of our use
case - Maternal
and Neonatal
Weekly death
reports.
Basically I want
sms sent to a
group of users
whenever a
maternal or
neonatal death
is reported.

First of all

the two
challenges I
have are:

- Sending to

users assigned a
given user role
as opposed to
sending to users
in a given
group. Its
easier to send
to a user group
as opposed to
the current
design that only
allows to send
to users
assigned a given
user role. First
of all am not
sure what
different
authorities this
role should
have. Secondary
in a situation
where I have no
rights to create
a user role I
cant implement
this like the
case of Uganda
national DHIS2.

So I would

suggest we
either add
sending to a
user group.

- Ability to

localize the
alerts to the
hierarchy; right
now we can only
send alerts to a
central team
otherwise it
creates a lot of
noise if we send
to user of lower
levels for them
to be relevant.
A user in
districts B may
not be
interested in
alerts from
district C would
rather only
receive from his
only district.
But currently if
a user in
District B is
assigned the
alert role,
he/she will
receive alerts
from all
districts.

Regards

Prosper
Behumbiize,
MPH

Phone:       
                                                      +256

414 320076

Cell:        
                                                          +256

772 139037
+256 752 751776

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

Phone:                                        +256

414 320076

Cell:                                             +256

772 139037
+256
752 751776

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

Phone:        +256 414 320076

Cell:             +256 772 139037

+256 752 751776

-- Peder Andreas Nergaard, Mobile Coordinator
HISP/DHIS2, Department of Informatics, University of Oslo
p: +47 922 47 500 - s: peder.andreas.nergaard - e:

https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devsdhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.nethttps://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devshttps://help.launchpad.net/ListHelphttp://www.dhis2.org/andreasn@ifi.uio.no

I think the suggestion from Jim is good. Could it be configurable by validation rule group? So we have a true/false option “send alerts to users within hierarchy only” or similar on the validation rule group. Then messages only goes out to users who have the originating org unit of the alert in their sub-hierarchies.

I think in general having user roles and not user groups was a (my) mistake - we could simply change it.

regards,

Lars

···

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Prosper BT ptb3000@gmail.com wrote:

Yes Jim this would suit my use case, but not sure if its global enough others can comment may be

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Cheers,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Example

Regards

Thanks,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Thanks,

Jim

Dear Team and Jim

Regards

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

An option to configure this per validation rule group sounds fine. In the interest of not making this too complicated for the user, would it better to leave it with roles (optionally restricted within the org unit hierarchy), or change the implementation from roles to user groups (optionally restricted within the org unit hierarchy).

Of course we could support both roles and user groups, but I’m just trying to see if we can keep it simpler for the user.

Cheers,

Jim

···

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com wrote:

I think the suggestion from Jim is good. Could it be configurable by validation rule group? So we have a true/false option “send alerts to users within hierarchy only” or similar on the validation rule group. Then messages only goes out to users who have the originating org unit of the alert in their sub-hierarchies.

I think in general having user roles and not user groups was a (my) mistake - we could simply change it.

regards,

Lars

Cheers,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Example

Regards

Thanks,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Thanks,

Jim

Dear Team and Jim

Regards

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Good. I would say lets change to groups, not too many are using it still.

Lars

···

regards,

Lars

Cheers,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Example

Regards

Thanks,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Thanks,

Jim

Dear Team and Jim

Regards

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Thanks Guys,

I think the role was also affecting its use, I go for user groups.

Regards

···

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com wrote:

Lars

On Mar 12, 2014 6:44 PM, “Jim Grace” jimgrace@gmail.com wrote:

An option to configure this per validation rule group sounds fine. In the interest of not making this too complicated for the user, would it better to leave it with roles (optionally restricted within the org unit hierarchy), or change the implementation from roles to user groups (optionally restricted within the org unit hierarchy).

Of course we could support both roles and user groups, but I’m just trying to see if we can keep it simpler for the user.

Cheers,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH
+256 752 751776

regards,

Lars

Cheers,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Example

Regards

Thanks,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Thanks,

Jim

Dear Team and Jim

Regards

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Hi,

I also see a need to be able to configure how we deal with (repeated) alerts over time.

If the data is not changed the alert will be re-created every night as it is right now, correct?

I have some ideas for improvements, but would be good to hear what others are thinking here.

• should we have some kind of status on the alert, to turn it off or “snooze (1 day, 3 days, 7 days etc.)” that the alert recipients can update?

• should we allow the pre-configuration of how alerts are repeated? -e.g. send again after 1,3,5,7,10 days if data has not changed.

• should we allow for pre-configuration of escalating alerts where new user groups are alerted if the alert is not “resolved”? E.g. (just an example):

<1st> (0 days) alert to , <2nd> alert after <7> days to , <3rd> alert after <12 days> to

Ola

···

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)
HISP
Department of Informatics

University of Oslo

Mobile: +47 48069736
Home address: Eftasåsen 68, 0687 Oslo, Norway. Googlemaps link

On 13 March 2014 09:13, Prosper BT ptb3000@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks Guys,

Regards

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com wrote:

Lars

Cheers,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

regards,

Lars

Cheers,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Example

Regards

Thanks,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Thanks,

Jim

Dear Team and Jim

Regards

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Hi Ola,

Actually the alert does not keep going off. Each time the nightly surveillance run starts, it records in a system property the time of the start. In the subsequent run the next night, it only considers alerts that involve data values that have been entered since the start of the pervious run.

We save the start of the run to be conservative, just in case new data is entered in the middle of a run as the alert task is running. Worst case is if some data is entered in the middle of a run, it may be reported that night and the next night too – which is better than not reporting it at all.

The time is noted at the start of the run, but not written in the database until the end of the run. So if there is a system failure in the middle of the alert run, the new data will be reported in the next run.

The very first time the alerts are run, it looks at all the data from the periods just finished (previous day, previous week, previous month, etc.) After that, subsequent runs just give the “new” incremental news.

So the alerts are kind of like a “headline news” service, to report the latest news. This can be used for data quality (in which case the data should be fixed so the alerts are “resolved”) or for surveillance, in which case the data should not necessarily be “resolved” because it is reporting a health issue of concern. You can configure different rules going to different groups of users for one or both types of these functions on the same system.

In the case of data quality, a user can always run the same validations again at any point (covering as much past data as they like) to see if any issues have been resolved.

Cheers,

Jim

···

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Ola Hodne Titlestad olati@ifi.uio.no wrote:

Hi,

I also see a need to be able to configure how we deal with (repeated) alerts over time.

If the data is not changed the alert will be re-created every night as it is right now, correct?

I have some ideas for improvements, but would be good to hear what others are thinking here.

• should we have some kind of status on the alert, to turn it off or “snooze (1 day, 3 days, 7 days etc.)” that the alert recipients can update?
  • should we allow the pre-configuration of how alerts are repeated? -e.g. send again after 1,3,5,7,10 days if data has not changed.
  • should we allow for pre-configuration of escalating alerts where new user groups are alerted if the alert is not “resolved”? E.g. (just an example):

<1st> (0 days) alert to , <2nd> alert after <7> days to , <3rd> alert after <12 days> to

Ola

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)
HISP
Department of Informatics

University of Oslo

Mobile: +47 48069736
Home address: Eftasåsen 68, 0687 Oslo, Norway. Googlemaps link

On 13 March 2014 09:13, Prosper BT ptb3000@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks Guys,

Regards

Lars

Cheers,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

regards,

Lars

Cheers,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Example

Regards

Thanks,

Jim

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Thanks,

Jim

Dear Team and Jim

Regards

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

That’s right Prosper, Thanks for flagging this.

Regards,

Dapo Adejumo

+2348033683677

···

From: Dhis2-devs [mailto:dhis2-devs-bounces+dapo_adejumo=yahoo.com@lists.launchpad.net] On Behalf Of Prosper BT
Sent: 13 March 2014 09:14
To: Lars Helge Øverland
Cc: DHIS 2 Developers list
Subject: Re: [Dhis2-devs] Surveillance Alerts - Sending Alerts

Thanks Guys,

Regards

Lars

Cheers,

Jim

regards,

Lars

Cheers,

Jim

Example

Regards

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks,

Jim

Dear Team and Jim

Regards

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH

+256 752 751776

Prosper Behumbiize, MPH