Sharing issue with dashboards - users can't view data

Hi all, I continue to have issues (in 2.29) that when I share a dashboard with users, they are able to see the dashboard and THAT visualizations exist, but they cannot see the data. We are getting an error that “user is not allowed to read data for Data Element Category Option XXX” (XXX is the UID). But when we check the UI and the api for sharing settings on that category option, it’s all public edit/view. What step are we missing in terms of sharing??? Do category options and categories need to be assigned to an org unit - my understanding is that they only need to be assigned if you want to restrict them?

(In general, if a dashboard is shared with a user and they have “see dashboard app” as part of their user role, shouldn’t they be able to VIEW all data visualizations, even if the data draws from programs they’re not assigned to, metadata objects they’re not assigned to, OUs, data sets, etc?)

In summary:
-all our metadata objects are public edit/view (category option, category, category combo)
-the data set where the data comes from has been shared with that user
-the data is drawn from org units that the user is assigned to for both capture and analyze
BUT the user is not allowed to read the data.

Would appreciate any tips or insights!
~Natalie

2 Likes

I am having a pretty similar issue in the same instance for what seems to be a slightly different reason. Like Natalie, my users see the dashboard objects but they are empty as if the data contents need to continue to load. However, in my dashboard, at least one user has the error: user is not allowed to view org unit: XXXXXXX" which is the root org unit." However, the DEs in that dashboard are all assigned to the country level which everyone in the corresponding user group has access to see. The user role assigned to the user group members includes access to the dashboard. Again it seems like a permissions issue but what it is exactly is stumping me…

-all the metadata are public edit/view (DEs, category option, category, category combo)
-the data set where the data comes from has been shared with that user
-the data is drawn from org units that the user is assigned to view and see in the dashboard
BUT the user is not allowed to read the data.

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated!
Grace

2 Likes

Hi Natalie, from version 2.29, a concept of sharing settings has been introduced. This means you have to give the users read access for most metadata including data elements category options and categories etc.

If you did an upgrade from lower versions, there is a script that needs to be executed in the database to configure settings for existing metadata. Look at the upgrade notes of 2.29

Regards

2 Likes

Thanks! Commented on another post but the access level that is shown on the list of category options (and other metadata objects) in the UI refers only to metadata access, not data access. So I was seeing “public edit/view” and assuming it referred both to metadata and data, but it was only for the metadata, while data view/capture was set to “no access”. Lesson learned…

2 Likes

Hi Natalie, can you share how you solved this issue. Thanks

1 Like

Hi Mcebo,
If I remember right, I had to click into the category option (or whatever the system was saying the user didn’t have access to) and make sure that their data access was view, not just metadata.
Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 2.24.35 PM

1 Like