Regarding GSOC 2014, contribution to the SMS parsing project under DHIS2.

Hello,

I got to know about the SMS parsing project under DHIS2 through GSOC, 2014 and I am very mush interested to work on it and contribute towards its development.

I would like to say that i have **worked on something similar before where I had to interface a SIM card to a computer to read its messages and parse it, in order to forward the message to the appropriate person. **It was a part of a health system where patient emergencies were monitored using a smart SMS system. As a result all emergency messages were forwarded to the doctors on duty.

One of the ways to do this would be to use a scripting language to use something called AT commands which helps us to interface to the SMS device.

Using there commands, the SMS can be retrieved and can then be parsed using regular expressions to obtain the context. The appropriate response can then be taken, and also the web API can be made use of to do so.

I would love some suggestions/feedback on the above approach. I would also like to say that I am flexible towards taking any approach which might be considered better and would not mind any kind of changes, as I am willing to learn new things in the process of contributing!

Looking forward to your reply.

PS - I find your ideas towards management of resources very critical to improve health system and would love to be a part of the contributing team.

Regards,

Vaishnavi,

Third year Undergraduate,

Department of Computer Science and Engineering,

PESIT,

Bangalore, India.

Hi Vaishnavi.

Thanks for your interest in DHIS2 and the SMS parsing project.

Having experience of a similar project is indeed quite good. Please share repository, documentation etc about that project to help our evaluation.

My understanding of AT commands is quite different from scripting language.

We use smslib library in DHIS2 for SMS stuff. So we’d like to continue using its API instead of low-level AT commands.

So the scripting language should be at a more higher level of abstraction of the not just the smslib API, but also wrapping DHIS sms service API

Users should be able to write scripts that will allow some logic/processing on incoming SMS and then based on the processing, perform some activities of the available DHIS2 service.

Please do look into detail on the SMS service API, as well as DHIS2 services that can be used by the scripting language.
Add detailed plan on how you will implement and some examples how the incoming SMS will be parsed, vis-a-vis a script written in your proposed language.

Good luck for the proposal.

···

Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA

On 16 March 2014 16:24, Vaishnavi Bharadwaj vaishnavivbharadwaj@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

I got to know about the SMS parsing project under DHIS2 through GSOC, 2014 and I am very mush interested to work on it and contribute towards its development.

I would like to say that i have **worked on something similar before where I had to interface a SIM card to a computer to read its messages and parse it, in order to forward the message to the appropriate person. **It was a part of a health system where patient emergencies were monitored using a smart SMS system. As a result all emergency messages were forwarded to the doctors on duty.

One of the ways to do this would be to use a scripting language to use something called AT commands which helps us to interface to the SMS device.

Using there commands, the SMS can be retrieved and can then be parsed using regular expressions to obtain the context. The appropriate response can then be taken, and also the web API can be made use of to do so.

I would love some suggestions/feedback on the above approach. I would also like to say that I am flexible towards taking any approach which might be considered better and would not mind any kind of changes, as I am willing to learn new things in the process of contributing!

Looking forward to your reply.

PS - I find your ideas towards management of resources very critical to improve health system and would love to be a part of the contributing team.

Regards,

Vaishnavi,

Third year Undergraduate,

Department of Computer Science and Engineering,

PESIT,

Bangalore, India.

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp