Program notifications - where to specify communication formats?

Hi

I’ve just looked through the user and developer guides for 2.25 and 2.26, but I cannot find any specific reference to how you can control how program notifications and program stage notifications are sent.

In 2.24, you could specify at least whether to send notifications as SMS, Email or BOTH. That option is no longer there after that component has been refactored.

Is the messaging now controlled from the Systems Settings → Messaging (by selecting email and/or SMS)? If yes, I presume that means one standard comm method for all notifications - and that you cannot turn off internal notification messaging…

What I’m looking for is the ability to specify internal messaging and/or email and/or SMS on a per notification basis.

For instance, if you send out alerts by email or SMS to get users to access the DHIS2 for latest developments, then there is no need to fill up the messages list with a copy of the same…

Regards

Calle

···

Calle Hedberg

46D Alma Road, 7700 Rosebank, SOUTH AFRICA

Tel/fax (home): +27-21-685-6472

Cell: +27-82-853-5352

Iridium SatPhone: +8816-315-19119

Email: calle.hedberg@gmail.com

Hi,

Just a brief follow-up: I was reading through the user and developer manuals for both program notifications and program stage notifications, but I only looked at program stage notifications in the system.

Now I noticed that

In the Program notification configuration form, you can specify SMS and/or email (it looks like internal messaging is compulsory?). NOTE THAT THIS PART OF THE DEFINITION FORM IS NOT MENTIONED IN THE MANUALS.

The same options are NOT included with the program STAGE notifications - hence my question above. This type of inconsistency looks like more like a bug (omission) than a deliberate design flaw.

Halvdan is no longer working on the new messaging component - has anybody else taken over?

Regards

Calle

···

On 2 February 2017 at 23:35, Calle Hedberg calle.hedberg@gmail.com wrote:

Hi

I’ve just looked through the user and developer guides for 2.25 and 2.26, but I cannot find any specific reference to how you can control how program notifications and program stage notifications are sent.

In 2.24, you could specify at least whether to send notifications as SMS, Email or BOTH. That option is no longer there after that component has been refactored.

Is the messaging now controlled from the Systems Settings → Messaging (by selecting email and/or SMS)? If yes, I presume that means one standard comm method for all notifications - and that you cannot turn off internal notification messaging…

What I’m looking for is the ability to specify internal messaging and/or email and/or SMS on a per notification basis.

For instance, if you send out alerts by email or SMS to get users to access the DHIS2 for latest developments, then there is no need to fill up the messages list with a copy of the same…

Regards

Calle

Calle Hedberg

Calle Hedberg

and to be even more specific: the ability to select method (Email/SMS) for Program notifications are only available in 2.26 - in 2.25 there is nothing.

Regards

calle

···

On 3 February 2017 at 00:13, Calle Hedberg calle.hedberg@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

Just a brief follow-up: I was reading through the user and developer manuals for both program notifications and program stage notifications, but I only looked at program stage notifications in the system.

Now I noticed that

In the Program notification configuration form, you can specify SMS and/or email (it looks like internal messaging is compulsory?). NOTE THAT THIS PART OF THE DEFINITION FORM IS NOT MENTIONED IN THE MANUALS.

The same options are NOT included with the program STAGE notifications - hence my question above. This type of inconsistency looks like more like a bug (omission) than a deliberate design flaw.

Halvdan is no longer working on the new messaging component - has anybody else taken over?

Regards

Calle

Hi

Regards

Calle

Calle Hedberg

Calle Hedberg

Calle Hedberg

Hi Calle,
Could you create an issue in JIRA (on project Documentation for DHIS 2) for the doc changes you would like to see?

Thanks!

Cecilia

DHIS2 content team

···

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 11:39 PM, Calle Hedberg calle.hedberg@gmail.com wrote:

and to be even more specific: the ability to select method (Email/SMS) for Program notifications are only available in 2.26 - in 2.25 there is nothing.

Regards

calle

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Hi,

Now I noticed that

Regards

Calle

Calle Hedberg

Hi

Regards

Calle

Calle Hedberg

Calle Hedberg

Cecilia,

Will do so, but I’m hoping to get some clarity first on what these hoodlum developers have actually done :wink:

Regards

Calle

···

On 3 February 2017 at 10:25, Cecilia @dhis2 cecilia@dhis2.org wrote:

Hi Calle,
Could you create an issue in JIRA (on project Documentation for DHIS 2) for the doc changes you would like to see?

Thanks!

Cecilia

DHIS2 content team

Regards

calle

Hi,

Now I noticed that

Regards

Calle

Calle Hedberg

Hi

Regards

Calle

Calle Hedberg

Calle Hedberg

Calle Hedberg

Hi Calle,
Great, thanks! In your issue, please specify what you think should be added for each version separately. The topics explaining program and program stage notifications are:

Maybe the table in step 6 (program notification) or step 7 (program stage notification) could help with the understanding of the delivery method? According to the doc, this functionality has been the same for both 2.25 and 2.26.

Kind regards,

Cecilia

DHIS2 content team

···

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Calle Hedberg calle.hedberg@gmail.com wrote:

Cecilia,

Will do so, but I’m hoping to get some clarity first on what these hoodlum developers have actually done :wink:

Regards

Calle

Hi Calle,

Thanks!

Cecilia

DHIS2 content team

Calle Hedberg

Regards

calle

Hi,

Now I noticed that

Regards

Calle

Calle Hedberg

Hi

Regards

Calle

Calle Hedberg

Calle Hedberg

Hi,

Those steps do not relate to the communication channel - only to recipients. What we would like to control is how each specified program notification is sent to the recipients: in some cases you want internal messaging + email + SMS (and in the future Whatsapp, Skype…) - in other cases you want to use only one or two of these channels.

As an example, if I’m using a program notification as an alert to managers that a dangerous disease have been reported and they should view the report (in DHIS) asap - then it might not be relevant to also send that via internal messaging because that means a user is already in the system and the same disease notification is already clearly visible in dashboards etc.

We need fine-grained control over

• when to trigger notifications (e.g. when a specific data element value like a disease is reported)

• whether they might be repeated, and if yes how often or how many times (nobody wants endless repeating alerts)

• what channels/methods that are used to send them (availability, cost, not too much duplication)

• who the recipients are

Regards

Calle

···

On 3 February 2017 at 12:15, Cecilia @dhis2 cecilia@dhis2.org wrote:

Hi Calle,
Great, thanks! In your issue, please specify what you think should be added for each version separately. The topics explaining program and program stage notifications are:

Maybe the table in step 6 (program notification) or step 7 (program stage notification) could help with the understanding of the delivery method? According to the doc, this functionality has been the same for both 2.25 and 2.26.

Kind regards,

Cecilia

DHIS2 content team

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Calle Hedberg calle.hedberg@gmail.com wrote:

Cecilia,

Regards

Calle

Hi Calle,

Thanks!

Cecilia

DHIS2 content team

Calle Hedberg

Regards

calle

Hi,

Now I noticed that

Regards

Calle

Calle Hedberg

Hi

Regards

Calle

Calle Hedberg

Calle Hedberg

Calle Hedberg

A post was split to a new topic: Program notifications - where to specify communication formats?