Problems getting started resolved

OK, I believe I have a working installation. Here are some notes for whatever use they may be to others.
Environment: Ubuntu 12/Tomcat 6/DHIS 2.12. I took out my previous kernel parameter changes, this has broken Postgres. Since I only have about 1G of free memory, I am using MySQL until I can be sure of the units of the shmxxx kernel parameters.
Problems overcome:
(1) a permissions problem on /home/dhis and its contents -- it was formerly owner/group dhis/dhis with 750/640 permissions for directories/files. I tried changing it to root/dhis with 770/660, that didn't work. Now have changed it to 777/666.
(2) a PermGen space problem -- now am using JAVA_OPTS='-Xmx2048m -Xms512m -XX:MaxPermSixe=500m -XX:PermSize=300m'
(3) errors in the connection string. Note that 127.0.0.1 will not work as a host unless you have authorIzed non-local access; mysql:mxj does not work. Am now using
hibernate.dialect = org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLDialect
hibernate.connection.driver_class = com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
hibernate.connection.url = jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/dhis2

···

-----Original Message-----
From: olatitle@gmail.com [mailto:olatitle@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Ola Hodne Titlestad
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:04 AM
To: Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR)
Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Still having problems getting started

HI Roger,

A few suggestions.

You could try to download and use a binary install of tomcat:
http://apache.vianett.no/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.41/bin/apache-tomcat-7.0.41.tar.gz

Just unzip and try to start it using bin/startup.sh

Just make sure no other java process is running already.

We don't recommend hot deployment of dhis.war and I am not sure that works.

The recommended steps are:

1) Stop tomcat (if running)
2) put dhis.war in webapps/ folder (first remove any old webapps/dhis folder or webapps/dhis.war file)
3) start tomcat (bin/startup.sh)

logs/catalina.out should have details on the startup process, including detected and used hibernate.properties files and the the 10 startup rountines.

You can follow the log by e.g. issuing the command:
$tail -f logs/catalina.out (given that you are already in the tomcat install folder)

Ola
--------

----------------------------------
Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)
HISP
Department of Informatics
University of Oslo

Mobile: +47 48069736
Home address: Eftasåsen 68, 0687 Oslo, Norway. Googlemaps link

On 25 June 2013 14:55, Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) <rdf4@cdc.gov> wrote:

Ubuntu 12

I did sudo apt-get install tomcat6 and then configured the tomcat-users.xml file. I have put the export commands for DHIS2_HOME, JAVA_OPTS and JAVA_HOME in bash.bashrc (creating a setenv.sh did not seem to work).

It may be that there is an older version of Tomcat installed on my machine as well, or perhaps I shutdown and restarted Tomcat from the wrong directory. It seems like there is Tomcat stuff all over the place:
At /usr/share/tomcat6 I have lib and bin directories. bin contains startup.sh, shutdown.sh and one of the setenv.sh files I created. No sign of webapps etc.
At /usr/lib/apache-tomcat-6.0.35 I have bin, lib, logs and webapps. The dhis which I deployed through the manager gui is here. The logs dir hasn't been used in a year. bin contains startup.sh, shutdown.sh and the other setenv.sh file I created. conf contains the second tomcat-users.xml file I edited.
/var/log/tomcat6 contains current logs
/var/lib/tomcat6 contains conf, logs, server, shared, webapps. webapps contains another dhis which I deployed through the gui manager. conf contains the first tomcat-users.xml file I edited.

Looking at the parameters on my Tomcat process, the jvm and properties are right. logging.config.file and catalina.base point to var/lib/tomcat while endorsed.dirs, catalina.home and classpath point to usr/share.

Thanks for your help.

From: olatitle@gmail.com [mailto:olatitle@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Ola
Hodne Titlestad
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:15 AM

Are you on Linux or Windows?
How did you install tomcat?

Ola
------

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)
HISP
University of Oslo

On 25 June 2013 14:13, Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) <rdf4@cdc.gov> wrote:

Actually not, I don't see the startup messages in the log.

From: olatitle@gmail.com [mailto:olatitle@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Ola
Hodne Titlestad
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:02 AM
Cc: dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Hi Roger,

The tomcat log will also tell you which hibernate.properties files are found and used at startup.

Ola
--------

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)
HISP
University of Oslo

On 25 June 2013 13:46, Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) <rdf4@cdc.gov> wrote:

When I start DHIS2 from Tomcat, I get the H2 DB rather than the DB
in my hibernate.properties file. There are no messages. The help
about shows my java opts at Xmx2048m and Xms512m and DHIS2_HOME as my environment variable.
DHIS2 _HOME is set at the same point as my VM options and points to
the directory with my hibernate.properties file. Help about shows
external configuration directory as not set. Version is 2.12.11183
2013-06-18. Any suggestions?

More help : ListHelp - Launchpad Help