Is it possible to create an indicator from existing indicators?

Dear Colleagues,

I am having an indicator creation problem where I want to build an indicator based on existing indicators to avoid lengthy formula and also because of the usefulness of component indicators. For instance, in a family planning problem where i need to calculate CYP for Short Term Methods, Long Term Methods and Permanent Methods from existing data elements. But I need to calculate total CYP as a sum of the above indicators.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Alehegn,

Do you have program indicators or aggregate indicators?
If its program indicators; yes it can be done.

2 Likes

Hi Alehegn,

Am not sure its possible with aggregated data since in Indicator creation you are only provided with the data elements themselves meaning you have to go the long way.
If someone has a way, I will appreciate to learn about it myself. I also have some very long indicators.
I don’t know much about the program indicators since I haven’t explored it vastly.

3 Likes

Thanks Jomutsani,

I have aggregate indicators. I think I should read about program indicators. It might solve my problem. Let me try it.

Thanks so much.

2 Likes

Welcome @Alehegn.

You can access that from HERE.

Best,
James.

1 Like

Thanks Alex.

1 Like

Hi,

Nested indicators has as far as I know never been implemented - even it was conceptually included into the indicator engine way back in the early 2000’s (version 1.3)! It’s very complicated to implement nested indicators in a generic way.

Using program indicators in “normal” indicator numerators/denominators is not really “nesting” indicators, since program indicators basically are a form of calculated data element (usually a count of tracker/event cases, or a sum of numeric values per case). Program indicators are pre-processed and stored in the analytics tables in a manner very similar to the way raw aggregated data are stored in analytics tables. So from the perspective of the API-based analytics engine, program indicator values are just “raw data” - albeit taken from a different set of analytics tables than aggregated data.

What you CAN do in many cases is to define more complex numerator and/or denominator formulas that in reality works the same way, based on the usual arithmetic principle that the content of an inner parenthesis is executed before the outer parts. So you can set up the “nested” numerator formula in an inner parenthesis - it will then be evaluated first, and the result of that can be used by the rest of the formula.

Regards
Calle

3 Likes

Thanks so much. So if the program indicators is for tracker/event data, it is not helpful for me.
I will make use of your suggestion using parenthesis to avoid mistakes and confusion.

2 Likes