Interpretations sharing settings

Hi all,
Would like to expand use of interpretations, but having the issue that users are seeing interpretations on objects they do not have access to, which is preventing us from using it much. In JIRA (1839 for example), it looks like this issue was resolved, and maybe I’m missing a step, but it seems to me the visualization object and the interpretations are not in sync as far as the sharing. The users have a notification with the total number of posts system-wide, even if they don’t have access to the interpretations apps at all (in which case they can’t see the posts themselves, just the notifications), or if they have access to the app, they can’t see the object but can see the post itself. Thanks for any insight.
~Natalie

2 Likes

Hi @Natalie_Tibbels

Sorry for the late response on this; did you get a workaround this? Kindly let us know if you did.

James.

1 Like

Thanks James,
Have not been able to resolve it as of 2.30, though we haven’t really used it because of this issue. Not sure if it is handled differently in later releases. Are others using interpretations, and users only see interpretations linked to objects they have permission for? I just tested it again by commenting on a chart, then logging in as a user who does not have access to that dashboard or OU. I cannot see the dashboard or the visual itself, but when I go to interpretations, I can see the text of the interpretation, which is problematic. (see screenshot) Would love to hear if others have figured this out, because I may be doing something wrong with the sharing settings!

2 Likes

This is good feedback @Natalie_Tibbels. Let me follow up on this with our team and see how best we can help you.

2 Likes

Hi @Natalie_Tibbels

We have experienced the same issue and raised this a while ago with some JIRA issues etc.

For the same reason that you are experiencing, we also do not use interpretations at all - which is a pity as it is a really great feature. Because we work with multiple countries, we obviously cannot have interpretations from one country being visible to others, especially since some countries are sensitive about sharing their data.

I would appreciate if anyone does find a solution to share it as that would help a lot!

2 Likes

Hi @Terence_Scott and @Natalie_Tibbels,

Sorry for taking a long time to chime in here. In 2.31 Interpretations automatically adopt the same sharing setting as the saved analytic item. An interpretation can be manually shared with users outside of the sharing settings of the saved analytics. In this case as well as when a user is mentioned in an interpretation that is associated with an analytics they do not have the ability to see they will receive a message saying they were mentioned or notification of a new interpretation but they will not be able to see the analytics. We appreciate that this could still be frustrating, and we would like to add a feature where the user could request access if they receive a notification of an interp or mention and are not able to see the analytics. This is similar to how google docs handles this problem. However, at least the default interp sharing setting is now inherited from the analytic object so hopefully this will be less of a problem.

The interpretation application is externally developed by PSI. We have simply merged it into core. The interp. app that is currently used is quite old with fairly limited functionality. PSI has updated it for their own DHIS2 instances, and we are working with them to merge the new app into core as well.

2 Likes

YAY! Will take a look when we move to 2.31 in a couple weeks. Thank you!

2 Likes

Great! Thanks very much @Scott

We will also give it a test run as soon as we upgrade to 2.31

1 Like