Installing DHIS2 on a Windows Local Server

Hello,

Is it your First-time installing DHIS2 on a local Windows Server? Check out DHIS2 Blog post and @julhas’ post on DHIS2 installation on a local Windows Server for detailed installation instructions.

Feel free to reach out in case you need more clarification!

Best,
James.

2 Likes

Another link for DHIS2 Installation instructions DHIS2 Installation on Windows Local Server – DHIS2 Web Portal

Note:
For DHIS2 Version 2.30 upwards, you need a postgis extension installed in your system.
2 Likes

The blog was updated today. I’ve tested installation on Windows 10 with JDK 8, PostgreSQL 11, Tomcat 7 and DHIS 2.32

2 Likes

Thank you @meghasl for the update.

Best,
James.

1 Like

DHIS2 Installation on Windows Local Server guideline was updated with PostgreSQL 11, Tomcat 9 and DHIS 2.32.

3 Likes

I am very new to DHIS, today I started looking into it and trying to develop one form which can be used to save data in database. and can display the same on frontend. any sample code, where I can find the workflow to achieve this. I did setup of dashboards-app-master. I think it is for frontend. and dhis-core is for backend. though it is not yet started and giving error at http://localhost:8080/dhis
I need some link, where I can understand the basic flow and understand what I need to develop form and login-authentication. Also if the same form I need to publish on andriod and as a web-page, what should I keep in mind in advance… Many thanks.

2 Likes

Hi @a4arun,

Kindly check on the above thread for first-time installation instructions. you can learn more on DHIS2 from Where can I find DHIS 2 Quickstart Tutorial?.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Best,
James.

1 Like

following each step in win10 but still not access dhis on localhost , still have error http 404

1 Like

Another option (for testing environments) is to perform the installation on a Virtual Machine running Linux so you can follow the full official documentation.

For the Virtual Machine options you can use the Free and Open Source solution Virtualbox or the Windows Virtual PC (which usually comes by default in your PC).

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Installing DHIS2 on a Windows

I installed DHIS 2.9 and successfully run on windows server 2019 Screenshot by Lightshot , when i use latest .war versions like 2.32.4 or 2.33 and replace it then why its giving 404 error following same instructions: DHIS2: District Health Information System: DHIS2 Installation Guide for Microsoft Windows 10

when I replace 2.29 back its loading without any issue.

what to do to fix the issue.
i installed postgis extension as well

I need your help.

The screenshots you provided have useful information starting from “Caused by”. Those indicate 1) That something else is already running on port 8080 and 2) that you are running out of shared memory and need to adjust the max_locks_per_transation. It can be useful to google for dhis2 and those messages, for example here is a previous discussion:

Perhaps you have have also not allocated enough memory for Java using the JAVA_OPTS setting.

Hi @AhmadQais,

I think your issue was resolved successfully with the below configuration and to change the “max_locks_per_transaction” as well as to set environment variables properly:

1. DHIS2 version: 2.32
  2. Postgres: 12.1
  3. Tomcat: 9.0.30
  4. JDK-13.0.1

If you get any issues, don’t forget to let me know. :slightly_smiling_face:

Regards
Julhas

Thank you @julhas for your help its successfully installed but now I am facing with another issue and its that when I restore data from the old database or link OLD Database with DHIS the software stop working again, I think there is a Query or any other method for that, can you help me

Hello @julhas

I am installing on win 2019 using jdk 15, tomcat 9, postgres 13 and dhis2 2.35. I have set max_locks to 1024.
Using the following environment variables
Variable Name: DHIS2_HOME
Value: C:\DHIS2
Variable Name: JAVA_OPTS
Value: -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=768m
Path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-15.0.2\bin

After all these settings I still cant get the war file deployed. Yet the same settings are working on win 10.

HTTP Status 404 – Not Found

Type Status Report

Message The requested resource [/suface] is not available

Description The origin server did not find a current representation for the target resource or is not willing to disclose that one exists.

Apache Tomcat/9.0.43

Kindly advise what am missing.

Thanks

I am trying to download the War file from Downloads - DHIS2 but I keep getting error notice. can you please help?

Thank you for posting the detailed instructions for installing DHIS2. I tried the investigator to do all the specified steps, but I had a problem with synchronizing the old database. What do you think could be the problem? The code is written correctly, as it does not give errors.
I recently gave payment for a licensed Windows version, so there shouldn’t be any problems with the software either. I assumed I lacked enough experience to complete all the installation steps correctly.
I would be happy to communicate and analyze my work personally if someone has free time.

hi everyone
I have successfully installed DHIS2 V.36 into a local (Windows 10) environment (16GB memory) . However, the system crashes a few minutes after starting the Tomcat server connection may be due to the GC Overhead Limit Exceeded Error. Can you pls. help me to resolve the issue.

This sounds like a new issue different from the post you commented on.
But for now, I would start by looking at increasing the JVM Heap Size to allocate more memory to the Java Virtual Machine. What values do you have for the Xmsand-Xmx` options?

I am Sorry If I have commented on the wrong post.

I have increased RAM allocation up to 4000M in environment above variable setting.