FIX Ready: Header location for Data Entry tables

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

Have you had a chance to look at Kaustav’s patch?

Regards

Vanya

···

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Kaustav Chakraborty kaustavc@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hello Mark,

Hope you are doing well.

In line to our previous discussion we have the desired functionality ready which was to build a fixed header functionality on DHIS2 data entry application. This functionality will help the user to understand exactly for which column they are entering the data.

To build this functionality we have used an external jQuery library floatThead.

I have attached the patch file along with this mail. Please verify it and provide inputs, if any.

We would like to get this merged in 2.21 and higher.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
kaustavc@thoughtworks.com
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Mark Polak mark@dhis2.org wrote:

Yes that sounds fine to me :slight_smile:

Good luck!

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Kaustav Chakraborty kaustavc@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

Thank you for that. We also looked for a couple of libraries and found the same with floatThread.

I guess we are good to go with this approach.

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 2:29 PM, Mark Polak mark@dhis2.org wrote:

Hey All,

We should have jQuery available on the page. So it is probably the most straight forward way to use the floatThread thing.

The library seems pretty mature. I like that better than the scrollable table body, as that adds an extra scrollbar.

Regards,

Mark

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 9:04 AM, Vanya Seth vanyas@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark

Thanks a lot for the response.

The changes are for the section forms only.

Thanks for a good to go. :slight_smile:

But if you could also comment on the technical approach presented in the first email, it would be very useful.

Regards

Vanya

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Mark Polak mark@dhis2.org wrote:

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Your projected changes are related to section forms (not custom forms) is that correct?

For custom forms the users are able to “hack” the html representation. Therefore they could accidentally break this feature, which makes it seem not reliable.

So it is for section forms then (the default generated forms) then we think this would be a welcome feature to go into trunk.

Regards,

Mark

With Regards
ThoughtWorks Technologies

Hyderabad

–Stay Hungry Stay Foolish!!

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Mark Polak mark@dhis2.org wrote:

Hey Vanya,

Thank you for your patience. I’m waiting for a reply from Lars on this. Will ask him to confirm again :wink:

Regards,

Mark

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Vanya Seth vanyas@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark and Nicolay

Hope you both are doing well.

Have you had a chance to look into Kaustav’s email?

We have started a new iteration and wanted to pick up this work asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Vanya

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Kaustav Chakraborty kaustavc@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

We want to make some enhancements to the Data entry app. Which is to make the data entry table header ( category combo header ) stay constant even if we scroll down the page, so that the user knows which column they are entering the data in.

These are a few questions,

1. Would this be alright to add this to DHIS?

2. If you have any recommendations regarding the implementation of this feature? Like using some library or anything of that sort?

At our end we have explored a few things:

Assume, the table is structured as below,

table
    thead
        tr
            th
    tbody
        tr
            td

1. Using a Library:

There is a javascript library called floatThead that can be leveraged for this. It also works with multiple tables present in a single page. So while scrolling the table header remain fixed for each tables.

2. Not using any library,

We can have some fixed height given to a table body and put the y-axis scroll for the table. User has to come to the table element and scroll to get their data element to be seen.

I have attached the screenshots for better understanding.

We are waiting for your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

With Regards

Hyderabad

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Unfortunately i have not yet. We have been very busy with getting 2.23 out. I hope to be able to look at it soon.

Regards,

Mark

···

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Vanya Seth vanyas@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

Regards

Vanya

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Kaustav Chakraborty kaustavc@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hello Mark,

Hope you are doing well.

In line to our previous discussion we have the desired functionality ready which was to build a fixed header functionality on DHIS2 data entry application. This functionality will help the user to understand exactly for which column they are entering the data.

I have attached the patch file along with this mail. Please verify it and provide inputs, if any.

Thanks in advance.

With Regards

Hyderabad

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Good luck!

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Kaustav Chakraborty kaustavc@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

Thank you for that. We also looked for a couple of libraries and found the same with floatThread.

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Hey All,

We should have jQuery available on the page. So it is probably the most straight forward way to use the floatThread thing.

The library seems pretty mature. I like that better than the scrollable table body, as that adds an extra scrollbar.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

But if you could also comment on the technical approach presented in the first email, it would be very useful.

Regards

Vanya

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Your projected changes are related to section forms (not custom forms) is that correct?

For custom forms the users are able to “hack” the html representation. Therefore they could accidentally break this feature, which makes it seem not reliable.

So it is for section forms then (the default generated forms) then we think this would be a welcome feature to go into trunk.

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey Vanya,

Thank you for your patience. I’m waiting for a reply from Lars on this. Will ask him to confirm again :wink:

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark and Nicolay

We have started a new iteration and wanted to pick up this work asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Vanya

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Kaustav Chakraborty kaustavc@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

We want to make some enhancements to the Data entry app. Which is to make the data entry table header ( category combo header ) stay constant even if we scroll down the page, so that the user knows which column they are entering the data in.

2. If you have any recommendations regarding the implementation of this feature? Like using some library or anything of that sort?

table
    thead
        tr
            th
    tbody
        tr
            td

1. Using a Library:

There is a javascript library called floatThead that can be leveraged for this. It also works with multiple tables present in a single page. So while scrolling the table header remain fixed for each tables.

We can have some fixed height given to a table body and put the y-axis scroll for the table. User has to come to the table element and scroll to get their data element to be seen.

Thanks & Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

With Regards

Hyderabad

Regards,

Mark Polak

Software developer, DHIS 2

University of Oslo

http://www.dhis2.org

mark@dhis2.org

Hi Mark

Thanks for the acknowledgement. We really appreciate it.

And we understand there is a lot of pressure for the upcoming release. I think we should be good if you have a look at it early next week.

Regards

Vanya

···

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Mark Polak mark@dhis2.org wrote:

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Unfortunately i have not yet. We have been very busy with getting 2.23 out. I hope to be able to look at it soon.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hello Mark,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks in advance.

With Regards

Hyderabad

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Good luck!

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Hey All,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark and Nicolay

Thanks in advance

Vanya

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

table
    thead
        tr
            th
    tbody
        tr
            td

1. Using a Library:

Thanks & Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

With Regards

Hyderabad

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey Kaustav,

I’m sorry for taking so long to get back on this. I’ve applied your patch and it looks good. I think we’re close to be able to merge it in.

One minor thing i noticed is that when multiple sections are rendered and the user searches in section, the headers of the next section are not adjusted correctly. See the screenshot, do you think it’s possible for you to look into hooking into these searchfields and readjusting the headers after the filtering?

···

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Vanya Seth vanyas@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark

And we understand there is a lot of pressure for the upcoming release. I think we should be good if you have a look at it early next week.

Regards

Vanya

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hello Mark,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks in advance.

With Regards

Hyderabad

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Good luck!

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Hey All,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark and Nicolay

Thanks in advance

Vanya

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

table
    thead
        tr
            th
    tbody
        tr
            td

1. Using a Library:

Thanks & Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

With Regards

Hyderabad

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hi Mark,

I will have a look and get back on this soon.

Good day.

Regards,

Sultan Ahaamr.

···

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Mark Polak mark@dhis2.org wrote:

Hey Kaustav,

I’m sorry for taking so long to get back on this. I’ve applied your patch and it looks good. I think we’re close to be able to merge it in.

One minor thing i noticed is that when multiple sections are rendered and the user searches in section, the headers of the next section are not adjusted correctly. See the screenshot, do you think it’s possible for you to look into hooking into these searchfields and readjusting the headers after the filtering?

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hello Mark,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks in advance.

With Regards

Hyderabad

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Good luck!

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Hey All,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark and Nicolay

Thanks in advance

Vanya

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

table
    thead
        tr
            th
    tbody
        tr
            td

1. Using a Library:

Thanks & Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hi Mark,

I tried reproducing this scenario. So, I downloaded db dump from dhis2.org. I was not able to reproduce the same. I think there should be something missing in the patch. Will let u know.

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

···

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Sultanahamar Mohammad sultanm@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

Good day.

Regards,

Sultan Ahaamr.

Hey Kaustav,

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hello Mark,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks in advance.

With Regards

Hyderabad

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Good luck!

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Hey All,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark and Nicolay

Thanks in advance

Vanya

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

table
    thead
        tr
            th
    tbody
        tr
            td

1. Using a Library:

Thanks & Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey Mark,

I was able to reproduce that error. Will look into it and let you know.

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

···

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Sultanahamar Mohammad sultanm@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

I tried reproducing this scenario. So, I downloaded db dump from dhis2.org. I was not able to reproduce the same. I think there should be something missing in the patch. Will let u know.

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Sultanahamar Mohammad sultanm@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

Good day.

Regards,

Sultan Ahaamr.

Hey Kaustav,

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hello Mark,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks in advance.

With Regards

Hyderabad

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Good luck!

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Hey All,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark and Nicolay

Thanks in advance

Vanya

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

table
    thead
        tr
            th
    tbody
        tr
            td

1. Using a Library:

Thanks & Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hi Mark,

I just fixed the issue. Here is the patch that we need to apply on top of previous patch. Its a change in form.js.

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar

21029_21028.diff (904 Bytes)

···

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Sultanahamar Mohammad sultanm@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hey Mark,

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Sultanahamar Mohammad sultanm@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

Hi Mark,

Good day.

Regards,

Sultan Ahaamr.

Hey Kaustav,

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hello Mark,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks in advance.

With Regards

Hyderabad

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Good luck!

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Hey All,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark and Nicolay

Thanks in advance

Vanya

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

table
    thead
        tr
            th
    tbody
        tr
            td

1. Using a Library:

Thanks & Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hi Mark,

Could you please check the patch and let us know.

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

···

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Sultanahamar Mohammad sultanm@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

I just fixed the issue. Here is the patch that we need to apply on top of previous patch. Its a change in form.js.

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Sultanahamar Mohammad sultanm@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hey Mark,

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

Hi Mark,

Good day.

Regards,

Sultan Ahaamr.

Hey Kaustav,

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hello Mark,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks in advance.

With Regards

Hyderabad

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Good luck!

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Hey All,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark and Nicolay

Thanks in advance

Vanya

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

table
    thead
        tr
            th
    tbody
        tr
            td

1. Using a Library:

Thanks & Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey all,

Merged your changes into trunk for review by Lars.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs-core/dhis2/trunk/revision/23087

Regards,

Mark

···

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Sultanahamar Mohammad sultanm@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Sultanahamar Mohammad sultanm@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar

Hey Mark,

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

Hi Mark,

Good day.

Regards,

Sultan Ahaamr.

Hey Kaustav,

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hello Mark,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks in advance.

With Regards

Hyderabad

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Good luck!

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Hey All,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark and Nicolay

Thanks in advance

Vanya

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

table
    thead
        tr
            th
    tbody
        tr
            td

1. Using a Library:

Thanks & Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

With Regards

Hyderabad

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hi Mark

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate it.

Regards

Vanya

···

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Mark Polak mark@dhis2.org wrote:

Hey all,

Merged your changes into trunk for review by Lars.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs-core/dhis2/trunk/revision/23087

Regards,

Mark

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Sultanahamar Mohammad sultanm@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar

Hey Mark,

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Sultan Ahamar.

Hi Mark,

Good day.

Regards,

Sultan Ahaamr.

Hey Kaustav,

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

Regards

Vanya

Regards,

Mark Polak

University of Oslo

mark@dhis2.org

Hello Mark,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks in advance.

With Regards

Hyderabad

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Good luck!

Hi Mark,

Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

Hey All,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

Regards

Vanya

Hey Kaustav and Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

With Regards

Hyderabad

Hey Vanya,

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark and Nicolay

Thanks in advance

Vanya

Hi Mark

Hope you are doing well.

table
    thead
        tr
            th
    tbody
        tr
            td

1. Using a Library:

Thanks & Regards,

Kaustav Chakraborty
STEP Intern
Email
Telephone
+91 91009 60526
ThoughtWorks

With Regards

Hyderabad