[DHIS] Updating Program Version

Hi Morten,

I am using DHIS version 2.23. In the Program/attributes module, when we create a program, one of the properties of the program - Version - is automatically assigned a value 1. When we update the program, the Version value gets incremented by 1 each time. But, even if we do not make any changes to the program and just click update button, the program version still gets incremented by 1.

Is this the expected functionality? Could you please explain.

Thanks

···

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
archanac@thoughtworks.com
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Hi

When it comes to the web-api, we do not update the program version for every update. I’m not sure exactly why its being done like that in the program module… but I see this comment:

program.increaseVersion(); //TODO make more fine-grained

So probably they wanted to do something more with it… Maybe Abyot can shed some light on it? is this version flag in use today? I can see it being used for doing offline metadata, but then again… its not very useful if the version gets updated regardless of any actual changes…

···

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Archana Chillala archanac@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Morten,

I am using DHIS version 2.23. In the Program/attributes module, when we create a program, one of the properties of the program - Version - is automatically assigned a value 1. When we update the program, the Version value gets incremented by 1 each time. But, even if we do not make any changes to the program and just click update button, the program version still gets incremented by 1.

Thanks

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Morten

Hi guys,

In our Android legacy apps we depend on the Program version code to see if we need to download the program and subclasses (such as tracked entity attributes, program stage data elements etc). It would be great if the program version is being increased if there is actually any changes

Regards,

Erling

···

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Morten Olav Hansen morten@dhis2.org wrote:

Hi

When it comes to the web-api, we do not update the program version for every update. I’m not sure exactly why its being done like that in the program module… but I see this comment:

So probably they wanted to do something more with it… Maybe Abyot can shed some light on it? is this version flag in use today? I can see it being used for doing offline metadata, but then again… its not very useful if the version gets updated regardless of any actual changes…

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Archana Chillala archanac@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Morten,

Thanks

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Morten

Hi,

I don’t know how this is implemented. Yes, it doesn’t make sense to bump the version while there is no change in the program.

Otherwise, we need the program version. Even’t capture updates its cache of programs based on version.

···

Hi

Thank you,
Abyot.

Hi Morten,

Thanks

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Morten

Hi,

Could you please provide any update on this? Program version gets incremented by when update button is clicked, even if there are no actual changes made to the program. Currently using DHIS version 2.23.

Thank you.

···

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Abyot Asalefew Gizaw abyot@dhis2.org wrote:

Hi,

I don’t know how this is implemented. Yes, it doesn’t make sense to bump the version while there is no change in the program.

Otherwise, we need the program version. Even’t capture updates its cache of programs based on version.

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Thank you,
Abyot.

Hi

Hi Morten,

Thanks

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Morten

Hi,

When to increase a version is really tricky - there are lots of scenarios / changes that trigger or do not trigger version increment.

For now, we will fix for a program version not to increment when there is no change at all.

···

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Archana Chillala archanac@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi,

Could you please provide any update on this? Program version gets incremented by when update button is clicked, even if there are no actual changes made to the program. Currently using DHIS version 2.23.

Thank you.

Abyot A. Gizaw.

Senior Engineer, DHIS2

University of Oslo

http://www.dhis2.org

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Hi,

Thank you,
Abyot.

Hi

Hi Morten,

Thanks

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Morten

Thanks, Abyot.

···

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Abyot Asalefew Gizaw abyot@dhis2.org wrote:

Hi,

When to increase a version is really tricky - there are lots of scenarios / changes that trigger or do not trigger version increment.

For now, we will fix for a program version not to increment when there is no change at all.

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Abyot A. Gizaw.

Senior Engineer, DHIS2

University of Oslo

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Archana Chillala archanac@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi,

Thank you.

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Hi,

Thank you,
Abyot.

Hi

Hi Morten,

Thanks

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Morten

Hi Abyot

This bug still exists in the latest 2.23 version. Can you please have a look at this?

Regards

Vanya

···

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 5:53 PM, Archana Chillala archanac@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Thanks, Abyot.

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Hi,

Abyot A. Gizaw.

Senior Engineer, DHIS2

University of Oslo

Hi,

Thank you.

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Hi,

Thank you,
Abyot.

Hi

Hi Morten,

Thanks

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Morten

With Regards
ThoughtWorks Technologies

Hyderabad

–Stay Hungry Stay Foolish!!

Hi Abyot,

Could you please provide any update on this? Program version gets incremented by when update button is clicked, even if there are no actual changes made to the program. Tested this on Play Server as well - 2.25. It’s still the same. Could you please help fix it.

···

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Vanya Seth vanyas@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Abyot

This bug still exists in the latest 2.23 version. Can you please have a look at this?

Regards

Vanya

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 5:53 PM, Archana Chillala archanac@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Thanks, Abyot.

With Regards
ThoughtWorks Technologies

Hyderabad

–Stay Hungry Stay Foolish!!

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Hi,

Abyot A. Gizaw.

Senior Engineer, DHIS2

University of Oslo

Hi,

Thank you.

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Hi,

Thank you,
Abyot.

Hi

Hi Morten,

Thanks

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Morten

Okay. Thanks for the information, Abyot. Could you please let us know the timelines around it?

···

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Abyot Gizaw abyota@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

The program module is getting migrated to maintainance, better to fix it there.

Thank you,

Abyot.

(sent from mobile)

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

On Mar 16, 2016 09:53, “Archana Chillala” archanac@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Morten,

Thanks

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

Hi!

In relation to this thread, we have noticed that whenever the program version gets incremented, ProgramTrackedEntityAttributes ids change. This leads to an error during metadata export to another DHIS2 instance (in which the program already exists) due to ProgramTrackedEntityAttributes id inconsistencies. It should be taken into account not to compromise meta-data sync.

Regards!

Alejandro

···

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Archana Chillala archanac@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Okay. Thanks for the information, Abyot. Could you please let us know the timelines around it?

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Abyot Gizaw abyota@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

The program module is getting migrated to maintainance, better to fix it there.

Thank you,

Abyot.

(sent from mobile)

On Mar 16, 2016 09:53, “Archana Chillala” archanac@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Morten,

Thanks

Archana Chillala
Application Developer
Email
Telephone
+91 9100960533
ThoughtWorks