DataValue with CategoryOptionCombo not store in dataset from Android

Please I need help to confirm if I am missing some implementation strategy.

In my custom app form, I have a DE with Category Option Combo. When I enter value on my laptop in the field, the value is saved in the database. But when I enter value in an android phone in the category combo fields I get an error message and the data will not be submitted. I am unable to inspect the network tab in the mobile and I am not getting error in my laptop.

Meanwhile other fields without CategoryOptionCombo submit seamlessly without issue both on laptop and on android.

Does any setting of the metadata affect data capture in android device?

My only observation is that in the dataset, the Category Combination field is set at None. But I have about 3 different Category Combination for the dataset.

I noticed that some datasets in the demo has compulsoryDataElementOperands setup where there is category combo. What is the implication of omitting this in a dataset?

Hello @jetisco4u,

based on the description, I think it might be related to sharing settings. Could you share a screenshot of the DataSet entry screen in the Android app? Does it display all the possible combinations in different columns (as web does)?

2 Likes

It’s a custom app I am using. I shared the COC with the appropriate group and I even try to use it with admin privilege but with no success.

If you are using a custom app, could inspect the content of the tables DataValueConflict and D2Error? They can give us some hints about the problem. You can share them with me in private, if possible.

1 Like

Where can I access the table?

You can use Flipper to inspect the DB (only if you are running in debug mode) or Android Studio. In code, you can access the D2Error table by using its repository (d2.maintenanceModule().d2Errors()). The DataValueConflicts don’t have a repository, we should add them.

Also, please share any screenshot showing the error if you have them.

2 Likes

To complement @vgarciabnz 's answer, please note that we explained how Flipper can be used here: Android Troubleshooting (technical guide)

I am still unable to debug this. Like I said I am not using the Android app but a custom app that uses PWA built on the App platform. DE with the category combination and COC stored well on laptop. The error comes when I use a mobile device

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood your issue. I thought you were using a custom Android app, but it seems your are using a custom web app from an Android device. If so, I think the platform team could assist you on that app-platform Development - DĂ©veloppement

Yeah I am using a custom web app from an Android device. But after several failed attempt to fix the issue, I jettison the idea of using COC. I went back to creating multiple DE for the COC and use default value for COC.

By the way @vgarciabnz thanks for reaching out.

Hello @vgarciabnz

I am still having this issue. Like you suggested, I think it is related to sharing. I switch to the super admin account and use the Data Entry App. I noticed the fields are opened like the image below and the data was captured.

But when I switch back to the test account assign to a facility, the fields are locked like below and I couldn’t capture the data.

So in my custom app, the user too cannot submit the data. If this is sharing problem where/how can I set the sharing so that users at facility level can successfully submit that for DE with CategoryOptionCombos?

I just figure out the problem. It is a sharing issue.

I have to set the sharing for Category Option with the user group. It means that if the Category Option is not shared with the user group, they won’t be able to submit data for the CategoryOptionCombo.

3 Likes