complex category combo for Datasets doesn't show outputs

Hi DHIS2 Community

I am wondering if assigning complex category combinations to a DATASET will work. I have a use case where the activities are supported by 2 donors and hence data is accounted in 2 different projects. I created a dataset shown as below. Although on in(or even any 2 categories like both the donors), the report shows no values.

In a similar case, where I assign a complex category combo to a data element, everything works fine.

Am I doing something wrong here?? Kindly help

Thank you

Deepali

International Medical Corps

Hi

any leads will be helpful :slight_smile:

···

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 9:10 PM
Subject: complex category combo for Datasets doesn’t show outputs
To: DHIS 2 Users list dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Hi DHIS2 Community

I am wondering if assigning complex category combinations to a DATASET will work. I have a use case where the activities are supported by 2 donors and hence data is accounted in 2 different projects. I created a dataset shown as below. Although on in(or even any 2 categories like both the donors), the report shows no values.

In a similar case, where I assign a complex category combo to a data element, everything works fine.

Inline image 1

Thank you

Deepali

Hi Dipali Sahu,

I’m sorry for not responding sooner. Thank you for following up.

From your screen shot, it looks like you have a dataset-assigned category combination of four categories: Donor 1, CMR Project 1, Donor 2, and CMR Project 2. DHIS 2 will treat these as four independent dimensions. The data you record for any combination of all four dimensions will only show again in data entry if you select all four of the same dimensions. I would expect that when you select all four of the values “ECHO”, “ECHO 7654”, “UNHCR”, and “UNHCR 1212”, you will see data that you entered the last time you selected this distinct combination of four values.

Without knowing more about your situation, I am not sure the best way to model your requirements. Here are some possibilities:

1. Use a category combination with two categories such as “Project 1” and “Project 2”. Each project could have options such as “ECHO 7654”, UNHCR 1212", etc. If you want to report in analytics by the donor funding the projects, you could have a category option group set called “donor” containing category option groups like “ECHO” and “UNHCR”. The “ECHO” category option group could contain all the “ECHO nnnn” category options, and the “UNHCR” category option group could contain all the “UNHCR nnnn” category options.

Notes:

• As with your current example of four dimensions, you will see data in the data entry screen only if you select the same set of category options that you selected originally when you entered the data.

• You must always select two projects, no more and no less. If data is attributable to one project only, you may have to have “None” as the option for the other project.

• The dimensions “Project 1” and “Project 2” will be two different dimensions in analytics. There may not be an easy way in analytics to see all the data attributed to the same project, if that project is sometimes selected under “Project 1” and sometimes under “Project 2”.

1. Use a category combination with one category “Projects”. Its category options will have every combination of projects that can be done together (if this is practical). For example one option could be "“ECHO 7654 and UNHCR 1212”. Another could be “ECHO 7654 and ABCD 1234”. You can also have options for more or less than two projects, for example “ECHO 7654 and UNHCR 1212 and ABCD 1234”, or “ECHO 7654”. You can define a category option group set “Project” whose groups are “ECHO 7654”, “UNHCR 1212”, “ABCD 1234”, etc. You can assign to each of these groups the “Projects” options that include that group. You can have another category option group set “Donor” whose groups are “ECHO”, “UNHCR”, “ABCD”, etc., and you can assign to each of these groups the “Projects” options that include that donor.

Note:

• You will see data in the data entry screen only if you select the same category option under which you entered the data. So for example if you enter data under “ECHO 7654 and ABCD 1234”, you will not see this data in the data entry screen if you select the category option “ECHO 7654”.
  1. Use a category combination with one category “Project” that contains only single projects: “ECHO 7654”, “UNHCR 1212”, “ABCD 1234”, etc. If data counts for more than one project, it must be entered multiple times, once for each project. You can have a category option group set “Donor” whose groups are “ECHO”, “UNHCR”, “ABCD”, etc., and you can assign to each of these groups the “Project” options that include that donor.

Note that with all these possibilities, you may have the problem of overcounting in analytics. If data is attributed to multiple projects, then if you use analytics to display the total across all projects, some data will be counted multiple times towards that total. There is at least one implementation of DHIS 2 where this is handled by creating an extra project called something like “deduplication”, which contains negative numbers so that the total across all projects is not overcounted.

Note that you can use the sharing feature for category options and category option groups, so that you can restrict which users may enter data for which category options, and see which data for category option groups in analytics. For example, you might have some users who are authorized to enter and/or view only UNHCR data. Also if you have a “deduplication” category option, this might not be available to most users. You could even write custom software that uses the Web API to set the deduplication values based on other values. (This has been done in at least one DHIS 2 implementation.)

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jim Grace

···

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Dipali Sahu dipali.sahu@gmail.com wrote:

Hi

Hi DHIS2 Community

Thank you

Deepali

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Jim Grace
Core developer, DHIS 2

HISP US Inc.

http://www.dhis2.org

Hi Jim

Thank you so much for the insight, I am going to test the scenarios you have provided.

Another question I have is, when I have 2 donor fields/dimensions in data entry, I understand that the category options i.e. the donor list should have mutually exclusive names. for example Donor 1 has ECHO and UNHCR and Donor 2 had WHO and UNICEF. what happens if i have common items in both the list, for example Donor 1 list has ECHO, UNHCR, WHO, UNICEF and Donor 2 has the same items as well i.e. ECHO, UNHCR, WHO, UNICEF.

When I enter data in such a scenario will DHIS2 show reports show valid numbers… because for example ECHO will be the same category option , will DHSI2 be able to recognize whether ECHO is from donor 1 or from donor 2?

This looks like a really complicated use case to me… but I am wondering with native DHIS2 can handle this without any custom coding hence so many questions :slight_smile:

Thank you

Deepali

···

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Jim Grace jim@dhis2.org wrote:

Hi Dipali Sahu,

From your screen shot, it looks like you have a dataset-assigned category combination of four categories: Donor 1, CMR Project 1, Donor 2, and CMR Project 2. DHIS 2 will treat these as four independent dimensions. The data you record for any combination of all four dimensions will only show again in data entry if you select all four of the same dimensions. I would expect that when you select all four of the values “ECHO”, “ECHO 7654”, “UNHCR”, and “UNHCR 1212”, you will see data that you entered the last time you selected this distinct combination of four values.

Without knowing more about your situation, I am not sure the best way to model your requirements. Here are some possibilities:

1. Use a category combination with two categories such as “Project 1” and “Project 2”. Each project could have options such as “ECHO 7654”, UNHCR 1212", etc. If you want to report in analytics by the donor funding the projects, you could have a category option group set called “donor” containing category option groups like “ECHO” and “UNHCR”. The “ECHO” category option group could contain all the “ECHO nnnn” category options, and the “UNHCR” category option group could contain all the “UNHCR nnnn” category options.

Notes:

• As with your current example of four dimensions, you will see data in the data entry screen only if you select the same set of category options that you selected originally when you entered the data.
  • You must always select two projects, no more and no less. If data is attributable to one project only, you may have to have “None” as the option for the other project.
  • The dimensions “Project 1” and “Project 2” will be two different dimensions in analytics. There may not be an easy way in analytics to see all the data attributed to the same project, if that project is sometimes selected under “Project 1” and sometimes under “Project 2”.
  1. Use a category combination with one category “Projects”. Its category options will have every combination of projects that can be done together (if this is practical). For example one option could be "“ECHO 7654 and UNHCR 1212”. Another could be “ECHO 7654 and ABCD 1234”. You can also have options for more or less than two projects, for example “ECHO 7654 and UNHCR 1212 and ABCD 1234”, or “ECHO 7654”. You can define a category option group set “Project” whose groups are “ECHO 7654”, “UNHCR 1212”, “ABCD 1234”, etc. You can assign to each of these groups the “Projects” options that include that group. You can have another category option group set “Donor” whose groups are “ECHO”, “UNHCR”, “ABCD”, etc., and you can assign to each of these groups the “Projects” options that include that donor.

Note:

• You will see data in the data entry screen only if you select the same category option under which you entered the data. So for example if you enter data under “ECHO 7654 and ABCD 1234”, you will not see this data in the data entry screen if you select the category option “ECHO 7654”.
  1. Use a category combination with one category “Project” that contains only single projects: “ECHO 7654”, “UNHCR 1212”, “ABCD 1234”, etc. If data counts for more than one project, it must be entered multiple times, once for each project. You can have a category option group set “Donor” whose groups are “ECHO”, “UNHCR”, “ABCD”, etc., and you can assign to each of these groups the “Project” options that include that donor.

Note that with all these possibilities, you may have the problem of overcounting in analytics. If data is attributed to multiple projects, then if you use analytics to display the total across all projects, some data will be counted multiple times towards that total. There is at least one implementation of DHIS 2 where this is handled by creating an extra project called something like “deduplication”, which contains negative numbers so that the total across all projects is not overcounted.

Note that you can use the sharing feature for category options and category option groups, so that you can restrict which users may enter data for which category options, and see which data for category option groups in analytics. For example, you might have some users who are authorized to enter and/or view only UNHCR data. Also if you have a “deduplication” category option, this might not be available to most users. You could even write custom software that uses the Web API to set the deduplication values based on other values. (This has been done in at least one DHIS 2 implementation.)

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jim Grace

Hi

Hi DHIS2 Community

Thank you

Deepali

Jim Grace
Core developer, DHIS 2

HISP US Inc.

Hi Deepali,

I haven’t tried this, but I believe there is no problem in including the same donors in both the Donor 1 list and the Donor 2 list.

However Donor 1 and Donor 2 will be treated as different dimensions. I don’t think that you can get a report that combines the data from when ECHO is chosen as Donor 1 together with the data from when ECHO is chosen as Donor 2. I expect this to be a major limitation to this approach.

If you can use approach (2) or (3), these should give you a better display of data in analytics.

Cheers,

Jim

···

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Dipali Sahu dipali.sahu@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jim

Thank you so much for the insight, I am going to test the scenarios you have provided.

Another question I have is, when I have 2 donor fields/dimensions in data entry, I understand that the category options i.e. the donor list should have mutually exclusive names. for example Donor 1 has ECHO and UNHCR and Donor 2 had WHO and UNICEF. what happens if i have common items in both the list, for example Donor 1 list has ECHO, UNHCR, WHO, UNICEF and Donor 2 has the same items as well i.e. ECHO, UNHCR, WHO, UNICEF.

When I enter data in such a scenario will DHIS2 show reports show valid numbers… because for example ECHO will be the same category option , will DHSI2 be able to recognize whether ECHO is from donor 1 or from donor 2?

This looks like a really complicated use case to me… but I am wondering with native DHIS2 can handle this without any custom coding hence so many questions :slight_smile:

Thank you

Deepali

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Jim Grace jim@dhis2.org wrote:

Hi Dipali Sahu,

Notes:

Note:

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jim Grace

Hi

Hi DHIS2 Community

Thank you

Deepali

Jim Grace
Core developer, DHIS 2

HISP US Inc.