Any suggestions for partner reporting in DHIS-2?

Hi all,

Our HIV team works with civil society organizations and local partners to track a very simple list of services provided to persons living with HIV/Aids.

The data elements themselves are all numeric so it would be easy to do in a regular data set, except that partners don’t fit well in the reporting hierarchy which goes from Province → district → sub-district → sector → health facility.

Data entered are total numbers per district per partner.

For example, a partner (FHI) might work in several districts, so there would be more than one FHI report for a given period.

···

District

Partner

Period

Dataelement

Datavalue

Rwamagana

FHI

Feb-13

of PLWHA mutuelle payments made

Gicumbi

FHI

Feb-13

Huye

ACCESS

Feb-13

Gicumbi

ACCESS

Feb-13

I’ve thought of creating a separate partner’s table and entering a partner numeric code as one of the fields that could called up in a special report, but referential integrity rules won’t let me enter more than one data value record per period per district.

We can create the report using the Single Event Without Registration feature in Individual Records, using an Option set to maintain the list of partners, but unfortunately we can’t seem to use any of this data in the dashboard, data visualizer, maps or standard reports.

If Single Event Without Registration is the only way to enter the data, would it not be possible to expose the dataelements for use with the standard reporting tools?

I remember Jason had to develop this sort of relationship for some work he did in Zambia but I’m not sure if it is documented somewhere.

Thanks,

Randy

Hi Randy,

on this issue there are lots of opinions - my recommendation would be to stick to the aggregate part of the system and leave out the individual records module. This is routine data captured at a fixed interval so capturing it as events might become messy over time.

My suggestion on how to solve this would be to use categories - you could:

• set up a category and category combination called “Partners”.

• category options for each partner like “FHI” and “ACCESS”.

• create data elements for each service and assign them to the partner category combination.

• create one data set per partner (e.g. “HIV counselling FHI”).

• for each data set you create a custom form, and insert the data element + category option combinations for input fields accordingly.

• you create user roles for each partner.

• you assign the partner data sets to the corresponding partner user roles.

• you assign users for each partner to the corresponding user roles.

• you assign data sets (for partners) to facilities according to where the partners operate.

The partners can then select their data set when entering data, without having to worry about “who they are”. There are no extra org units to maintain and the partners cannot mix up data sets when entering data.

One drawback is that you have to create those extra custom forms, but since you have a “very simple list of services” this might be affordable.

regards,

Lars

···

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Wilson,Randy rwilson@msh.org wrote:

Hi all,

Our HIV team works with civil society organizations and local partners to track a very simple list of services provided to persons living with HIV/Aids.

The data elements themselves are all numeric so it would be easy to do in a regular data set, except that partners don’t fit well in the reporting hierarchy which goes from Province → district → sub-district → sector → health facility.

For example, a partner (FHI) might work in several districts, so there would be more than one FHI report for a given period.

District

Partner

Period

Dataelement

Datavalue

Rwamagana

FHI

Feb-13

Gicumbi

FHI

Feb-13

Huye

ACCESS

Feb-13

Gicumbi

ACCESS

Feb-13

I’ve thought of creating a separate partner’s table and entering a partner numeric code as one of the fields that could called up in a special report, but referential integrity rules won’t let me enter more than one data value record per period per district.

We can create the report using the Single Event Without Registration feature in Individual Records, using an Option set to maintain the list of partners, but unfortunately we can’t seem to use any of this data in the dashboard, data visualizer, maps or standard reports.

If Single Event Without Registration is the only way to enter the data, would it not be possible to expose the dataelements for use with the standard reporting tools?

I remember Jason had to develop this sort of relationship for some work he did in Zambia but I’m not sure if it is documented somewhere.

Thanks,

Randy

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

As Lars says, there are lots of opinions. We have been running a partner reporting system in Nigeria for a few years now. There are lots of challenges, including a lot of central administration mostly due to the way that DHIS2 delegates authority down the hierarchy. There was a decision made there to maintain compatibility with the government system (also using DHIS2) and use their hierarchy. If we had used a partner-based reporting hierarchy (i.e. Funding agency (e.g. USAID) → Implementing partner → Facility) things would have been much easier. This would allow the partners to maintain their own branch of the hierarchy, without any need for central administration, and not require the use of potentially dozens of categories which change over time. Personally, I have had a lot of issues changing the category options, and would not recommend this approach to dealing with the partners entering data. If a partner based hierarchy is used, they can at least generate reports and use the data visualizer (and potentially even the GIS if you have facility coordinates).

This obviously creates problems if you need to integrate the data with a geographically based hierarchy, but with 2.11, you can import just the data values. If the facility level UIDs are maintained in sync, then having two instances (one with a geographically based hierarchy and one with a partner based hierarchy) should be feasible. As long as the UIDs are in sync, then data exchange between the two systems should be possible, as long as the UIDs of the facilities are kept in check. Of course problems may occur if two partner s are reporting on the same activities in the same facilities. The M&E people tell me this should never happen however, i.e. NGO 1 and NGO 2 both performing PMTCT services in the same facility. There are certainly possible complications with this approach, but having to create and maintain what Lars suggest also sounds like a very bitter pill to have to swallow. I personally think some sort of post-data entry data transformation would be a better idea, if compatibility with the government system (geographically based) is an issue. Otherwise, the partner based hierarchy potentially solves a lot of problems.

My two cents anyway.

Regards,

Jason

···

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Randy,

on this issue there are lots of opinions - my recommendation would be to stick to the aggregate part of the system and leave out the individual records module. This is routine data captured at a fixed interval so capturing it as events might become messy over time.

• create data elements for each service and assign them to the partner category combination.
  • for each data set you create a custom form, and insert the data element + category option combinations for input fields accordingly.
  • you assign data sets (for partners) to facilities according to where the partners operate.

The partners can then select their data set when entering data, without having to worry about “who they are”. There are no extra org units to maintain and the partners cannot mix up data sets when entering data.

One drawback is that you have to create those extra custom forms, but since you have a “very simple list of services” this might be affordable.

regards,

Lars

Hi all,

District

Partner

Period

Dataelement

Datavalue

Rwamagana

FHI

Feb-13

Gicumbi

FHI

Feb-13

Huye

ACCESS

Feb-13

Gicumbi

ACCESS

Feb-13

Thanks,

Randy

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions. I’ll check to see how many partners there are to see how feasible this option is. There are many advantages to using the aggregate data modules, so I hope it works.

Randy

···

regards,

Lars

Hi all,

District

Partner

Period

Dataelement

Datavalue

Rwamagana

FHI

Feb-13

Gicumbi

FHI

Feb-13

Huye

ACCESS

Feb-13

Gicumbi

ACCESS

Feb-13

Thanks,

Randy

Awesome!

What Jason said about the Nigeria situation is correct.

Thanks for this elaboration.

To Jason, I sent you some emails, I hope you got them and thanks once again for all the help.

Regards

Adedayo

BlackBerry: 3114F90C
Phone: 08028851441, 08035560463
emails: deemoyes@yahoo.com, addyraph@yahoo.com
Yahoo IM: deemoyes
Facebook: pharael
twitter:pharaell

···

To: Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com
Cc:dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.netdhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Any suggestions for partner reporting in DHIS-2?

As Lars says, there are lots of opinions. We have been running a partner reporting system in Nigeria for a few years now. There are lots of challenges, including a lot of central administration mostly due to the way that DHIS2 delegates authority down the hierarchy. There was a decision made there to maintain compatibility with the government system (also using DHIS2) and use their hierarchy. If we had used a partner-based reporting hierarchy (i.e. Funding agency (e.g. USAID) → Implementing partner → Facility) things would have been much easier. This would allow the partners to maintain their own branch of the hierarchy, without any need for central administration, and not require the use of potentially dozens of categories which change over time. Personally, I have had a lot of issues changing the category options, and would not recommend this approach to dealing with the partners entering data. If a partner based hierarchy is used, they can at least generate reports and use the data visualizer (and potentially even the GIS if you have facility coordinates).

This obviously creates problems if you need to integrate the data with a geographically based hierarchy, but with 2.11, you can import just the data values. If the facility level UIDs are maintained in sync, then having two instances (one with a geographically based hierarchy and one with a partner based hierarchy) should be feasible. As long as the UIDs are in sync, then data exchange between the two systems should be possible, as long as the UIDs of the facilities are kept in check. Of course problems may occur if two partner s are reporting on the same activities in the same facilities. The M&E people tell me this should never happen however, i.e. NGO 1 and NGO 2 both performing PMTCT services in the same facility. There are certainly possible complications with this approach, but having to create and maintain what Lars suggest also sounds like a very bitter pill to have to swallow. I personally think some sort of post-data entry data transformation would be a better idea, if compatibility with the government system (geographically based) is an issue. Otherwise, the partner based hierarchy potentially solves a lot of problems.

My two cents anyway.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Randy,

regards,

Lars

Hi all,

District

Partner

Period

Dataelement

Datavalue

Rwamagana

FHI

Feb-13

Gicumbi

FHI

Feb-13

Huye

ACCESS

Feb-13

Gicumbi

ACCESS

Feb-13

I’ve thought of creating a separate partner’s table and entering a partner numeric code as one of the fields that could called up in a special report, but referential integrity rules won’t let me enter more than one data value record per
period per district.

We can create the report using the Single Event Without Registration feature in Individual Records, using an Option set to maintain the list of partners, but unfortunately we can’t seem to use any of this data in the dashboard, data visualizer,
maps or standard reports.

Thanks,

Randy

Hello,

Can anyone help yet? My data entry page is still not loading selected org units, its assigned datasets and periods.

This loads in the Mobile and Smartphone modules. I also noticed that the mobile client now says invalid username and password even on the phone that hasbeen tested and trusted before.

Thank you

···

My two cents anyway.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Randy,

regards,

Lars

Hi all,

District

Partner

Period

Dataelement

Datavalue

Rwamagana

FHI

Feb-13

Gicumbi

FHI

Feb-13

Huye

ACCESS

Feb-13

Gicumbi

ACCESS

Feb-13

I’ve thought of creating a separate partner’s table and entering a partner numeric code as one of the fields that could called up in a special report, but referential integrity rules won’t let me enter more than one data value record per
period per district.

We can create the report using the Single Event Without Registration feature in Individual Records, using an Option set to maintain the list of partners, but unfortunately we can’t seem to use any of this data in the dashboard, data visualizer,

Thanks,

Randy

Hi Dayo,

have you assigned your user with an organisation unit in users module? Can you please start a new thread and provide some more info about your problem?

regards, Lars

···

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Dayo Adeyomoye deemoyes@yahoo.com wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone help yet? My data entry page is still not loading selected org units, its assigned datasets and periods.

This loads in the Mobile and Smartphone modules. I also noticed that the mobile client now says invalid username and password even on the phone that hasbeen tested and trusted before.

Thank you

My two cents anyway.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Randy,

regards,

Lars

Hi all,

District

Partner

Period

Dataelement

Datavalue

Rwamagana

FHI

Feb-13

Gicumbi

FHI

Feb-13

Huye

ACCESS

Feb-13

Gicumbi

ACCESS

Feb-13

Thanks,

Randy

Dear Lars;
Greetings;

I have designed a form in the new DHIS version (2.11) but data cant be saved. This is the message that comes when “Saving value failed with status code1”

Kindly see the attached picture for details. need your help

Muhumuza Kananura Rornald

Tel: +256776301718

···

________________________________________________________________________________

“You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give.”-Winston Churchill

To: Dayo Adeyomoye deemoyes@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Data Entry Page still not loading selected org unit

Hi Dayo,

have you assigned your user with an organisation unit in users module? Can you please start a new thread and provide some more info about your problem?

regards, Lars

Hello,

Thank you

As Lars says, there are lots of opinions. We have been running a partner reporting system in Nigeria for a few years now. There are lots of challenges, including a lot of central administration mostly due to the way that DHIS2 delegates authority down the hierarchy. There was a decision made there to maintain compatibility with the government system (also using DHIS2) and use their hierarchy. If we had used a partner-based reporting hierarchy (i.e. Funding agency (e.g. USAID) → Implementing partner → Facility) things would have been much easier. This would allow the partners to maintain their own branch of the hierarchy, without any need for central administration, and not require the use of potentially dozens of categories which change over time. Personally, I have had a lot of issues changing the category options, and would not recommend this approach to dealing with the partners entering data. If a partner
based hierarchy is used, they can at least generate reports and use the data visualizer (and potentially even the GIS if you have facility coordinates).

This obviously creates problems if you need to integrate the data with a geographically based hierarchy, but with 2.11, you can import just the data values. If the facility level UIDs are maintained in sync, then having two instances (one with a geographically based hierarchy and one with a partner based hierarchy) should be feasible. As long as the UIDs are in sync, then data exchange between the two systems should be possible, as long as the UIDs of the facilities are kept in check. Of course problems may occur if two partner s are reporting on the same activities in the same facilities. The M&E people tell me this should never happen however, i.e. NGO 1 and NGO 2 both performing PMTCT services in the same facility. There are certainly possible complications with this approach, but having to create and maintain what Lars suggest also sounds like a very bitter pill to have to swallow. I personally think some sort of post-data
entry data transformation would be a better idea, if compatibility with the government system (geographically based) is an issue. Otherwise, the partner based hierarchy potentially solves a lot of problems.

My two cents anyway.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Randy,

regards,

Lars

Hi all,

District

Partner

Period

Dataelement

Datavalue

Rwamagana

FHI

Feb-13

Gicumbi

FHI

Feb-13

Huye

ACCESS

Feb-13

Gicumbi

ACCESS

Feb-13

period per district.

Thanks,

Randy

Yes please, I have assigned the users with the org. unit users module. It was working until lately.

Please find attched the screen shot/

Thank you

loading data entry.doc (163 KB)

···

Cc: Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com; “dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.netdhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net
Sent: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:17 PM

Hi Dayo,

regards, Lars

Hello,

Thank you

Hi Muhumuza,

this was an issue with the Uganda server which now has been fixed. To receive the fix please just reload the page (click reload button in your browser or F5).

regards,

Lars

···

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Muhumuza Kananura Rornald mk.rornald@yahoo.com wrote:

Dear Lars;

Greetings;

I have designed a form in the new DHIS version (2.11) but data cant be saved. This is the message that comes when “Saving value failed with status code1”

________________________________________________________________________________

“You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give.”-Winston Churchill

Hi Dayo,

regards, Lars

Hello,

Thank you

My two cents anyway.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Randy,

regards,

Lars

Hi all,

District

Partner

Period

Dataelement

Datavalue

Rwamagana

FHI

Feb-13

Gicumbi

FHI

Feb-13

Huye

ACCESS

Feb-13

Gicumbi

ACCESS

Feb-13

Thanks,

Randy

Hi what version are you running?

Please clear your browser cache completely.

On chrome paste this into the address bar, tick all options and click clear:

chrome://settings/clearBrowserData

Then try again.

Lars

···

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Dayo Adeyomoye deemoyes@yahoo.com wrote:

Yes please, I have assigned the users with the org. unit users module. It was working until lately.

Thank you

Cc: Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com; “dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.netdhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Hi Dayo,

regards, Lars

Hello,

Thank you

Dear Lars,

We have sorted the problem out. and We noted that Using Mysql as the DBMS does NOT create one Table (minmaxdataelement)

I have manually Created a similar table (based on PostgreSQL) for Mysql (See Attached).

Our Concern is is there a way of Incorporating this Table for MySQL so that it does not cause any future problem???

Thanks

minmaxdataelement.sql (1.94 KB)

···

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Muhumuza Kananura Rornald mk.rornald@yahoo.com wrote:

Dear Lars;

Greetings;

Hi Dayo,

regards, Lars

Hello,

Thank you

My two cents anyway.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Randy,

regards,

Lars

Hi all,

District

Partner

Period

Dataelement

Datavalue

Rwamagana

FHI

Feb-13

Gicumbi

FHI

Feb-13

Huye

ACCESS

Feb-13

Gicumbi

ACCESS

Feb-13

Thanks,

Randy

You can do anything, but not everything.

Thanks Steven.

···

To: Muhumuza Kananura Rornald mk.rornald@yahoo.com
Cc: Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com; “dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.netdhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2013 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Data not Saved

Dear Lars,

We have sorted the problem out. and We noted that Using Mysql as the DBMS does NOT create one Table (minmaxdataelement)

I have manually Created a similar table (based on PostgreSQL) for Mysql (See Attached).

Our Concern is is there a way of Incorporating this Table for MySQL so that it does not cause any future problem???

Thanks

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Muhumuza Kananura Rornald mk.rornald@yahoo.com wrote:

Dear Lars;

Greetings;

To: Dayo
Adeyomoye deemoyes@yahoo.com

Hi Dayo,

regards, Lars

Hello,

Thank you

As Lars says, there are lots of opinions. We have been running a partner reporting system in Nigeria for a few years now. There are lots of challenges, including a lot of central administration mostly due to the way that DHIS2 delegates authority down the hierarchy. There was a decision made there to maintain compatibility with the government system (also using DHIS2) and use their hierarchy. If we had used a partner-based reporting hierarchy (i.e. Funding agency (e.g. USAID) → Implementing partner → Facility) things would have been much easier. This would allow the partners to maintain their own branch of the hierarchy, without any need for central administration, and not require the use of potentially dozens of categories which change over time. Personally, I have had a lot of issues changing the category options, and would not recommend this approach to dealing with the partners entering data. If a partner
based hierarchy is used, they can at least generate reports and use the data visualizer (and potentially even the GIS if you have facility coordinates).

This obviously creates problems if you need to integrate the data with a geographically based hierarchy, but with 2.11, you can import just the data values. If the facility level UIDs are maintained in sync, then having two instances (one with a geographically based hierarchy and one with a partner based hierarchy) should be feasible. As long as the UIDs are in sync, then data exchange between the two systems should be possible, as long as the UIDs of the facilities are kept in check. Of course problems may occur if two partner s are reporting on the same activities in the same facilities. The M&E people tell me this should never happen however, i.e. NGO 1 and NGO 2 both performing PMTCT services in the same facility. There are certainly possible complications with this approach, but having to create and maintain what Lars suggest also sounds like a very bitter pill to have to swallow. I personally think some sort of post-data
entry data transformation would be a better idea, if compatibility with the government system (geographically based) is an issue. Otherwise, the partner based hierarchy potentially solves a lot of problems.

My two cents anyway.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Randy,

regards,

Lars

Hi all,

District

Partner

Period

Dataelement

Datavalue

Rwamagana

FHI

Feb-13

Gicumbi

FHI

Feb-13

Huye

ACCESS

Feb-13

Gicumbi

ACCESS

Feb-13

period per district.

Thanks,

Randy

Hi just realized that the problem is that “maxvalue” is a reserved word in mysql and is used as column name in that table. I have committed a fix and back-ported to 2.11, you can get the updated file on dhis2.org in a couple of hours.

Lars

···

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Muhumuza Kananura Rornald mk.rornald@yahoo.com wrote:

Thanks Steven.

From: Ocaya Stephen stephocay@gmail.comCc: Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com; “dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.netdhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Dear Lars,

Thanks

Dear Lars;

Greetings;

Hi Dayo,

regards, Lars

Hello,

Thank you

My two cents anyway.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Randy,

regards,

Lars

Hi all,

District

Partner

Period

Dataelement

Datavalue

Rwamagana

FHI

Feb-13

Gicumbi

FHI

Feb-13

Huye

ACCESS

Feb-13

Gicumbi

ACCESS

Feb-13

Thanks,

Randy

Great!!! That should sort out any problem with MySQL !!

Thanks Lars

@stephen

···

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Muhumuza Kananura Rornald mk.rornald@yahoo.com wrote:

Thanks Steven.

From: Ocaya Stephen stephocay@gmail.comCc: Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com; “dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.netdhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Dear Lars,

Thanks

Dear Lars;

Greetings;

Hi Dayo,

regards, Lars

Hello,

Thank you

My two cents anyway.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Randy,

regards,

Lars

Hi all,

District

Partner

Period

Dataelement

Datavalue

Rwamagana

FHI

Feb-13

Gicumbi

FHI

Feb-13

Huye

ACCESS

Feb-13

Gicumbi

ACCESS

Feb-13

Thanks,

Randy

Hello all,

Can anyone help with this problem, it still persists. I also noticed that after upgrading to version 2.11, the mobile version 2.11 doesn’t have a place for URL after the username and password.

Any idea why?

Regards

···

Sent: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:25 AM

Thank you

Sent: Tuesday, April
2, 2013 4:17 PM

Hi Dayo,

regards, Lars

Hello,

Thank you

Hello all,

I am still having this issue I stated below. Can anyone help with this?

Regards

Adedayo

···

To:
Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com
Sent: Monday, April 8, 2013 12:46 PM

Hello all,

Can anyone help with this problem, it still persists. I also noticed that after upgrading to version 2.11, the mobile version 2.11 doesn’t have a place for URL after the username and password.

Any idea why?

Regards

deemoyes@yahoo.com

Thank you

Hi Dayo,

regards, Lars

Hello,

Thank you

Hi

Is this related to our mobile DHIS 2 application, or to our normal browser application? Sorry, it was a bit hard to read, since you mention mobile 2.11.

···

Morten

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Dayo Adeyomoye deemoyes@yahoo.com wrote:

Hello all,

Regards

Adedayo

To:

Hello all,

Any idea why?

Regards

Thank you

Hi Dayo,

regards, Lars

Hello,

Thank you

oh ok. it is related to normal browser application (desktop version of both 2.10 and 2.11)

···

Cc: Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com; “dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.netdhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:44 PM

Hi

Is this related to our mobile DHIS 2 application, or to our normal browser application? Sorry, it was a bit hard to read, since you mention mobile 2.11.

Morten

Hello all,

Regards

Adedayo

To:

Hello all,

Any idea why?

Regards

deemoyes@yahoo.com

Thank you

Hi Dayo,

regards, Lars

Hello,

Thank you

If possible, could you give one of us access to the system. I’m sorry, but its hard to know exactly what is the issue here.

···

Morten

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Dayo Adeyomoye deemoyes@yahoo.com wrote:

oh ok. it is related to normal browser application (desktop version of both 2.10 and 2.11)

Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:44 PM

Hi

Morten

Hello all,

Regards

Adedayo

To:

Hello all,

Any idea why?

Regards

Thank you

Hi Dayo,

regards, Lars

Hello,

Thank you