2.26: Catcombos not working as expected - selected datasetelements appear as (default)

Hi,

I’ve encountered an issue that I find baffling - using a very recent trunk (2.26, 30 Nov):

I’ve got a standard category with three options, which in turn was used to create a similarly named CategoryComto (and the three options appear in the CategoryComboOption list). It is definition-wise identical to e.g. the catcombo setup for “HIV age” in the SL demo

This simple categorycombo has been allocated to a set of numeric data elements.

A data set has been created comprising those data elements, and the data set has been allocated to around 250 health facilities (Note: There is no “attribute” catcombo for the data set).

In other words: an basic, standard setup, similar to the use of “HIV Age” for the PMTCT Summary data set in the SL Demo.

The problem is that the data entry form - whether I leave the data set to use the default data entry form or I create a single Section data entry form - does not show the three catcombos, just the usual single value.

Furthermore, and this I have never seen before: When I allocated those data elements to the data set, they all appeared with their normal names both in the available list and in the selected list. BUT WHEN RE-OPENING the data set form, all the selected data elements now appear as

“ (default)”

The available data elements are normal - there is no (default) appended to the name for the available elements, only the selected ones.

I cannot find any reference to this use of (default) in the user manual.

Can anybody explain what is going on here, and if possible what I might be doing wrong?

Regards

Calle

···

Calle Hedberg

46D Alma Road, 7700 Rosebank, SOUTH AFRICA

Tel/fax (home): +27-21-685-6472

Cell: +27-82-853-5352

Iridium SatPhone: +8816-315-19119

Email: calle.hedberg@gmail.com

Hi,

OK, I finally figured it out: THIS IS A BUG: when you allocate datasetelements to a data set, the categorycombo specified for the data element is supposed to be copied into the categorycomboid field in the datasetelement table (the last field). This is NOT happening, so all all datasetelement records are being created with the default categorycombo.

As a temporary fix, you can click on what the user manual calls the “Override icon” (which actually is a “spanner” icon - I did not even notice that small icon at first), and then change datasetelements one by one to the standard categorycombo for that data element.

This is NOT how it is supposed to work, obviously - the user manual says that

“You can override the category combination for each selected data set by clicking on the gear icon above the list of selected data elements. This allows you to utilize a specific category combination (disaggregation) within the current data set instead of the category combination associated directly with the data element itself.”

OK, so it is not a “gear” icon but a “spanner” icon - but otherwise that explanation makes sense: when you select a data element as a datasetelement, it should come in with the “category combination associated directly with the data element itself” - which does not happen.

Another bug - or poor design - that also contributed big time to my confusion around this is that it looks like any changes to the datasetelement table requires flushing the cache before the rest of the system behaves as expected. There seems to be some missing “refresh whatever” piece of code in there.

Some fixes would be appreciated…

Regards

Calle

···

On 2 December 2016 at 23:49, Calle Hedberg calle.hedberg@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I’ve encountered an issue that I find baffling - using a very recent trunk (2.26, 30 Nov):

I’ve got a standard category with three options, which in turn was used to create a similarly named CategoryComto (and the three options appear in the CategoryComboOption list). It is definition-wise identical to e.g. the catcombo setup for “HIV age” in the SL demo

This simple categorycombo has been allocated to a set of numeric data elements.

A data set has been created comprising those data elements, and the data set has been allocated to around 250 health facilities (Note: There is no “attribute” catcombo for the data set).

In other words: an basic, standard setup, similar to the use of “HIV Age” for the PMTCT Summary data set in the SL Demo.

The problem is that the data entry form - whether I leave the data set to use the default data entry form or I create a single Section data entry form - does not show the three catcombos, just the usual single value.

Furthermore, and this I have never seen before: When I allocated those data elements to the data set, they all appeared with their normal names both in the available list and in the selected list. BUT WHEN RE-OPENING the data set form, all the selected data elements now appear as

“ (default)”

The available data elements are normal - there is no (default) appended to the name for the available elements, only the selected ones.

I cannot find any reference to this use of (default) in the user manual.

Can anybody explain what is going on here, and if possible what I might be doing wrong?

Regards

Calle

Calle Hedberg

Iridium SatPhone: +8816-315-19119

Email: calle.hedberg@gmail.com

Calle Hedberg