1.4 and 2 migration/co-existence issues

Hi Brian,

Jason Pickering in Zambia has a lot of experience with 1.4 to 2 migration or co-existence and can probably provide some help here on the list.

Here is a quick overview of 1.4 and 2 issues.

There are two scenarios as far as I can see.

Scenario 1) One-off migration from 1.4 to 2

Some things you need to consider (there are probably more…)

• You can use the 1.4 database (data file) import into an empty v. 2 database

• Consider redesigning some of the most tabular forms to make use of multidimensional data elements (categories, category combinations)

• Aggregation rules are different from 1.4, so make sure you understand these.

• You can create report tables that will look exactly like your PivotViews queries in the 1.4 datamart for simple use of Excel pivot tables, or create such views directly in the 2 database. Pivot tables will then look exactly the same for both versions (Excel is Excel).

• You can add more dimensions to your data analysis by using data element group sets and categories and retrieve these through the use of report tables.

Scenario 2) Co-existence of 1.4 and 2, e.g. 1.4 for at district level and 2 as a central server based national repository for web reports, dashboards, GIS etc.

• Use database import from 1.4 as a first step
  • For continuous monthly data updates use the 1.4 XML import to 2.
  • Since 1.4 dictates all meta data definitions multidimensional data elements is not an option here. For multidimensional data analysis you can specify date element group sets (dimensions) and groups (dimension options) and use these in report tables.

Some common issues for both scenarios:

• Be careful with aggregation of population data if you have data for the same data element (e.g. Total Population) on two levels. Need to specify aggregation levels for these data elements. You will have to redo this every time you overwrite your metadata from 1.4 (should not be necessary to often though) as 1.4 has a different way of dealing with this.
  • Double check aggregation operators for your data elements as aggregation rules are more strict in 2 than in 1.4. Data elements that should not be summarised over time when aggregated must have the type average, e.g. population data, equipment status, beds ++. If you set the type of e.g. “Total Population” (which has annual values) to SUM then a monthly indicator value will estimate a monthly value from that annual value, divide by 12. If set to AVERAGE it will use the annual value without any modification. Such estimate or break up of annual or quarterly values does not exist in 1.4 so typically all data elements have type SUM although many of the strictly speaking should have been set to AVERAGE. So just make sure all AVERAGE data elements actually have aggregation operator AVERAGE and not SUM. Also check aggregation operators for your numerators and denominators for your indicators. These are derived directly from the data elements, but this can get messed up when doing 1.4 import because of the above mentioned differences with SUM/AVG.

This page provides some sort of overview of all the docs on DHIS 2, which is being centralised and better organised at the moment:
http://208.76.222.114/confluence/display/DOC/Home

Ola Hodne Titlestad |Technical Officer|
Health Metrics Network (HMN) | World Health Organization
Avenue Appia 20 |1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland | Email: titlestado@who.int|Tel: +41 788216897

Better Information. Better Decisions. Better Health.

···

2009/11/28 Knut Staring knutst@gmail.com

Hi, under import-export there is an option for import from 1. 4

On Nov 28, 2009 11:42 AM, “Brian Agbirogu” pphmbagb@aol.com wrote:

Hi knut ,

Thanks for your help so far. I seem to be doing quite fine with the installation. Could you please enlighten me about migration from dhis1.4 to 2.0…What document do I need to go through? Thanks

Brian

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] pphmbagb wants to join

From: dhis2-users-bounces+pphmbagb=aol.com@lists.launchpad.net
[mailto:dhis2-users-bounces+pphmbagb=aol.com@lists.launchpad.net] On Behalf Of Knut Staring

Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 4:54 PM

To: Lars Helge Øverland

Cc: dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Hi Brian,

As Lars recommends, I think DHIS Live could work well for you on Ubuntu. It is possible to chec…

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Hi,

Good points Ime, I’m copying the list (Ime’s reply is below my message). All of you please notice that the default reply-to on these emails is just to the sender and not the list, so please remember to click on reply-all if you want to share your ideas with the whole list, which you all should of course.

I’d like to add to Ime’s good point that if you opt for co-existence of 1.4 and 2 at the same level (e.g. district), which is definitely doable I would just mention that DHIS 2 also runs fine offline and is being just in this way in many places. A very common scenario (and not too expensive either) is to build up small local networks (not on Internet) at e.g a district office with a DHIS 2 server (normal machine, and no real need for server hardware) and a group of desktops machines all connnected on a local wireless (or wired) network. This way many users and local departments can share reports, charts, maps etc. and do data entry from their local desktop or laptop directly onto a common district repository (on the district server).

However, in a transition process from 1.4 and 2 I could see such a co-existence strategy useful if there is lack of capacity to support many offline DHIS 2 installations, e.g. if most of the support team is 1.4 trained and new to v2. Then a more gradual transition, e.g. starting with a few pilot districts could work fine, in order to build up support capacity around DHIS 2.

Having a national or sub-national DHIS 2 server for web reports and other analysis tools while 1.4 is used to enter data locally is another way (can be done in combination with the above) to gradually move from 1.4 to 2 that also helps to build up valuable support capacity among the software maintenance team, and is also a way to gradually introduce the end users to a web environment. There are many possibilities of designing hybrid 1.4 and 2 solutions and each country needs to find out what makes sense to them in terms of human capacity and network infrastructure.

Other inputs to this would be very valuable, please share your ideas on this new users list.

Ola

···

2009/11/29 Ime Asangansi asangansi@yahoo.com

Nice :slight_smile:

A third scenario is similar to scenario 2 and bothers on coexistence at same levels. DHIS2 for data entry with internet access/WLANs and DHIS1.4 in areas with less capacity.

The additional requirement from such is two-way import-export between 1.4 and 2.0

Cheers,

[I]me

— On Sun, 11/29/09, Ola Hodne Titlestad olatitle@gmail.com wrote:

Subject: [Dhis2-users] 1.4 and 2 migration/co-existence issues

To: dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Date: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 6:27 PM

Hi Brian,

Jason Pickering in Zambia has a lot of experience with 1.4

to 2 migration or co-existence and can probably provide some

help here on the list.

Some things you need to consider (there are probably

more…)

• You can use the 1.4 database (data file) import into an

empty v. 2 database

• Consider redesigning some of the most tabular forms to

make use of multidimensional data elements (categories,

category combinations)

• Aggregation rules are different from 1.4, so make sure

you understand these.

• You can create report tables that will look exactly like

your PivotViews queries in the 1.4 datamart for simple use

of Excel pivot tables, or create such views directly in the

2 database. Pivot tables will then look exactly the same for

both versions (Excel is Excel).

• You can add more dimensions to your data analysis by

using data element group sets and categories and retrieve

these through the use of report tables.

Scenario 2) Co-existence of 1.4 and 2, e.g. 1.4 for at

district level and 2 as a central server based national

repository for web reports, dashboards, GIS etc.

Some things you need to consider (there are probably

more…)

• For continuous monthly data updates use the 1.4 XML

import to 2.

• Since 1.4 dictates all meta data definitions

multidimensional data elements is not an option here. For

multidimensional data analysis you can specify date element

group sets (dimensions) and groups (dimension options) and

use these in report tables.

• Be careful with aggregation of population data if you

have data for

the same data element (e.g. Total Population) on two

levels. Need to

specify aggregation levels for these data elements. You

will have to

redo this every time you overwrite your metadata from 1.4

(should not

be necessary to often though) as 1.4 has a different way of

dealing

with this.

• Double check aggregation operators for your data elements

as aggregation rules are more strict in 2 than in 1.4. Data

elements that should not be summarised over time when

aggregated must have the type average, e.g. population data,

equipment status, beds ++. If you set the type of e.g.

“Total Population” (which has annual values) to

SUM then a monthly indicator value will estimate a monthly

value from that annual value, divide by 12. If set to

AVERAGE it will use the annual value without any

modification. Such estimate or break up of annual or

quarterly values does not exist in 1.4 so typically all data

elements have type SUM although many of the strictly

speaking should have been set to AVERAGE. So just make sure

all AVERAGE data elements actually have aggregation operator

AVERAGE and not SUM. Also check aggregation operators for

your numerators and denominators for your indicators. These

are derived directly from the data elements, but this can

get messed up when doing 1.4 import because of the above

mentioned differences with SUM/AVG.

This page provides some sort of overview of all the docs on

DHIS 2, which is being centralised and better organised at

the moment:

Avenue Appia 20 |1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland | Email: titlestado@who.int|Tel:

+41 788216897

Hi, under import-export there is an option for import

from 1. 4

On Nov 28, > > > 2009 11:42 AM, “Brian Agbirogu” pphmbagb@aol.com > > > wrote:

Hi knut

Thanks for

your help so far. I seem to be doing quite fine with

the installation. Could you please enlighten me about

migration from dhis1.4 to

2.0…What document do I need to go through?

Thanks

Brian

[mailto:dhis2-users-bounces+pphmbagb=aol.com@lists.launchpad.net]

On Behalf

Of Knut Staring

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] pphmbagb wants to

join

Hi Brian,

As Lars recommends, I think DHIS Live could work well for

you on Ubuntu. It is possible to chec…

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Thanks for this writeup. Will try to include this in the docs somehow as it will probably be relevant for lots of people.

Lars

Hi Brian,

Jason Pickering in Zambia has a lot of experience with 1.4 to 2 migration or co-existence and can probably provide some help here on the list.

• You can use the 1.4 database (data file) import into an empty v. 2 database

• Consider redesigning some of the most tabular forms to make use of multidimensional data elements (categories, category combinations)

• Aggregation rules are different from 1.4, so make sure you understand these.

• You can create report tables that will look exactly like your PivotViews queries in the 1.4 datamart for simple use of Excel pivot tables, or create such views directly in the 2 database. Pivot tables will then look exactly the same for both versions (Excel is Excel).

• You can add more dimensions to your data analysis by using data element group sets and categories and retrieve these through the use of report tables.

Scenario 2) Co-existence of 1.4 and 2, e.g. 1.4 for at district level and 2 as a central server based national repository for web reports, dashboards, GIS etc.

• For continuous monthly data updates use the 1.4 XML import to 2.
  • Since 1.4 dictates all meta data definitions multidimensional data elements is not an option here. For multidimensional data analysis you can specify date element group sets (dimensions) and groups (dimension options) and use these in report tables.

• Be careful with aggregation of population data if you have data for the same data element (e.g. Total Population) on two levels. Need to specify aggregation levels for these data elements. You will have to redo this every time you overwrite your metadata from 1.4 (should not be necessary to often though) as 1.4 has a different way of dealing with this.
  • Double check aggregation operators for your data elements as aggregation rules are more strict in 2 than in 1.4. Data elements that should not be summarised over time when aggregated must have the type average, e.g. population data, equipment status, beds ++. If you set the type of e.g. “Total Population” (which has annual values) to SUM then a monthly indicator value will estimate a monthly value from that annual value, divide by 12. If set to AVERAGE it will use the annual value without any modification. Such estimate or break up of annual or quarterly values does not exist in 1.4 so typically all data elements have type SUM although many of the strictly speaking should have been set to AVERAGE. So just make sure all AVERAGE data elements actually have aggregation operator AVERAGE and not SUM. Also check aggregation operators for your numerators and denominators for your indicators. These are derived directly from the data elements, but this can get messed up when doing 1.4 import because of the above mentioned differences with SUM/AVG.

Does anyone feel up to summarizing this/writing a section on DHIS 1.4 - 2.0 co-existence in the user documentation?

Lars

···

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Ola Hodne Titlestad olatitle@gmail.com wrote:

This page provides some sort of overview of all the docs on DHIS 2, which is being centralised and better organised at the moment:

Avenue Appia 20 |1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland | Email: titlestado@who.int|Tel: +41 788216897

Hi, under import-export there is an option for import from 1. 4

On Nov 28, 2009 11:42 AM, “Brian Agbirogu” pphmbagb@aol.com wrote:

Hi knut ,

Thanks for your help so far. I seem to be doing quite fine with the installation. Could you please enlighten me about migration from dhis1.4 to 2.0…What document do I need to go through? Thanks

Brian

[mailto:dhis2-users-bounces+pphmbagb=aol.com@lists.launchpad.net] On Behalf Of Knut Staring

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] pphmbagb wants to join

Hi Brian,

As Lars recommends, I think DHIS Live could work well for you on Ubuntu. It is possible to chec…

Folks –

I have not yet upgraded to 2.0.4 so some of these may be fixed:

1.         In form design, the data element selection form pops up inappropriately when editing the form name or saving the form.

2.         In form design, in the data element selection form, the categories should be listed in some ordered manner based on the categories and their option sorts.

3.         When assigning organization units to datasets, the select on level does not appear to work.  Select on group appears to take place in the background somehow without any feedback to the user that things are actually being accomplished.  Maybe it would be possible to show the number of org units currently selected, it would be comforting to see the number increasing after a select operation.

4.         In data entry, it should be possible to choose the dataset to be entered and then select org units from among those registered to it in addition to choosing the site and then selecting a dataset.

Thanks, Roger

Hi Roger, thanks for providing feedback. Comments within.

Folks –

1.         In form design, the data element selection form pops up inappropriately when editing the form name or saving the form.

Not able to reproduce this. Don’t think anything has been changed here lately but upgrading could be an idea. What browser are you using?

2.         In form design, in the data element selection form, the categories should be listed in some ordered manner based on the categories and their option sorts.

Yes this is a weak point. The way I see it having separate data element and category lists are confusing, those should be merged into one list where all combinations of data element / category are listed.

3.         When assigning organization units to datasets, the select on level does not appear to work.  Select on group appears to take place in the background somehow without any feedback to the user that things are actually being accomplished.  Maybe it would be possible to show the number of org units currently selected, it would be comforting to see the number increasing after a select operation.

OK. The orgunit tree is admittedly slow. The tree is supposed to be updated when selecting a level. You could try selecting a higher level with fever orgunits and see if that works after waiting a bit. There is a blueprint for the next release about improving performance here.

4.         In data entry, it should be possible to choose the dataset to be entered and then select org units from among those registered to it in addition to choosing the site and then selecting a dataset.

OK that is noted.

regards, Lars

···

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Friedman, Roger (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov wrote:

Thanks, Roger

If I remember correctly, the selection on level only works if the
levels have been named, i.e. National, Province etc instead of Level

Knut

···

2010/4/27 Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@gmail.com>:

3\.         When assigning organization units to datasets, the

select on level does not appear to work. Select on group appears to take
place in the background somehow without any feedback to the user that things
are actually being accomplished. Maybe it would be possible to show the
number of org units currently selected, it would be comforting to see the
number increasing after a select operation.

OK. The orgunit tree is admittedly slow. The tree is supposed to be updated
when selecting a level. You could try selecting a higher level with fever
orgunits and see if that works after waiting a bit. There is a blueprint for
the next release about improving performance here.

@ Lars re 1 – Firefox

@ Knut re 3 – Levels have been named

@ Lars re 2 – Thought about this while placing 44 categories for 2 variables on a form. Scrolling is not so great. Here is an idea: keep variable choice as is (maybe a dropdown to save real estate); display category options as follows: one variable (preferably the one with most categories) vertically, remaining variables banked across the top like data entry default, buttons at the intersections. A big challenge. An alternative might be to leave the variable list up in the left panel and do it as a tree with categories under variables, drag-drop to form. While fulminating, how about a tool tip when hovering over an input box that contains the category options. I realize they are in the input box, but the box is too small to see them. Now, I have to go to data entry and step through the form watching the green box. BTW, my error rate was 8% for 4-way categories or 3-way with 2 variables.

Tks all, am having way too much fun,

Roger

···

Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:40 AM

To: Friedman, Roger (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) (CTR)

Cc: dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net; DHIS 2 developers

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Bugs/Suggestions

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Friedman, Roger (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov wrote:

Folks –

Not able to reproduce this. Don’t think anything has been changed here lately but upgrading could be an idea. What browser are you using?

Yes this is a weak point. The way I see it having separate data element and category lists are confusing, those should be merged into one list where all combinations of data element / category are listed.

OK. The orgunit tree is admittedly slow. The tree is supposed to be updated when selecting a level. You could try selecting a higher level with fever orgunits and see if that works after waiting a bit. There is a blueprint for the next release about improving performance here.

OK that is noted.

regards, Lars

Thanks, Roger

@ Lars re 1 – Firefox

@ Knut re 3 – Levels have been named

@ Lars re 2 – Thought about this while placing 44 categories for 2 variables on a form. Scrolling is not so great. Here is an idea: keep variable choice as is (maybe a dropdown to save real estate); display category options as follows: one variable (preferably the one with most categories) vertically, remaining variables banked across the top like data entry default, buttons at the intersections. A big challenge. An alternative might be to leave the variable list up in the left panel and do it as a tree with categories under variables, drag-drop to form. While fulminating, how about a tool tip when hovering over an input box that contains the category options. I realize they are in the input box, but the box is too small to see them. Now, I have to go to data entry and step through the form watching the green box. BTW, my error rate was 8% for 4-way categories or 3-way with 2 variables.

Tks all, am having way too much fun,

Roger

Okay will consider this. Good that you are enjoying it :wink:

···

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Friedman, Roger (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov wrote:

Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:40 AM

Cc: dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net; DHIS 2 developers

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Bugs/Suggestions

Folks –

OK that is noted.

regards, Lars

Thanks, Roger

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Listers –

I am trying to build some reports, and this part of the user manual has no text.  Here are some of the questions I have:

1.         What triggers a roll-up of data through the org hierarchy?

2.         How can I get a "most recent" period for reporting site survey data?  (I find much about relative periods but no way to select/specify)

3.         How can I partially roll up disaggregations (e.g. if numerator is disaggregated sex-age and denominator is only disaggregated sex; or a data element is disaggregated sex-age and I want to display it by year by sex)?

4.         How can I get disaggregations in a "banked" way (e.g. like default input format) for reports?

5.         How can I get disaggregations x orgunitgroupset?

6.         Can I create org groups/data elements based on indicators (e.g. high incidence/low incidence districts)?

7.         How can I get data on a period per column basis?  How can I get both period per column and cumulative or year-to-date ?  How can I get period per column with corresponding period of previous years?

8.         If I have to build SQL for some of these, can I store this SQL for later reuse?  Can I trigger the SQL to run during roll-ups?

9.         What are the mechanics of locking for roll-up and report generation?  Do I have to worry about people running reports during monthly peak data entry load?

I was wondering if somebody would have some time for a phone call or some type of internet work sharing to help me with some of this stuff.

Thanks, Roger

Hi Roger,

Lot’s of good questions and reminders that our documentation on reports is not completed.

I don’t have a lot of time right now, but will try to give you some pointers anyway. I’ll try to find more time tomorrow to continue, and hopefully others like Edem and Jason could join in.

See my text inline…

Listers –

I am trying to build some reports, and this part of the user manual has no text.  Here are some of the questions I have:

Aggregation of data takes place either as a stand-alone data mart process which populates two database tables (aggregateddatavalue and aggregatedindicatorvalue), or as a built in service to some of the other tools (report tables and charts, and perhaps more…).

You can read more on how to set up your datamart exports here:
http://dhis-developers-list.1563109.n2.nabble.com/Aggregation-in-the-datamart-and-orgunit-level-specification-tt4627202.html#a4627378

but that part definitely lacks in the manual. A more conceptual introduction to how DHIS aggregates data up the hierarchy and across time can be found in section 9.1 of the manual.

Datamart is mainly needed for external reporting tools that are not integrated into the DHIS2, like Excel pivot tables. The mapping component also still requires manual datamart exports I think (although that needs to change).

Report tables (Service->Reports->report Table) are a bit like the datamart, but more specified reporting data sources with names written out( not only IDs), with cross tab options (periods, data elements, indicators, or categories) on columns, and they can be set up with relative periods (reporting month) and orgunit parameters to be easily reusable with e.g. the same monthly report template design from BIRT every month.

Report tables can be linked to report design templates in the integrated BIRT or Jasper reports module (Service->Reports->Standard Report).

I would guess that either BIRT reports or Jasper (designed in iReport) combined with report tables, and sometimes to your custom sql datasets would meet many of your reporting needs.

2.         How can I get a "most recent" period for reporting site survey data?  (I find much about relative periods but no way to select/specify)

I am not sure I understand your question, could you clarify a bit more or use an example?
When you run a predefined report table that has reporting month as a parameter then the report table gets populated with the month selected by the user, would that help? A BIRT report design linked to a report table would then get the same parameter popup before generating the report, if set up as a standard report in DHIS with reference to the design template and the report table(s) needed.

3.         How can I partially roll up disaggregations (e.g. if numerator is disaggregated sex-age and denominator is only disaggregated sex; or a data element is disaggregated sex-age and I want to display it by year by sex)?

The report table supports categories crosstabbed on columns and include subtotals and totals for those categories. Have a look at the report table type called Data Element Dimensions Table. When defining indicators you must add together the various categoryoptioncombos to form your partial roll-ups, this right now is a bit tedious if you have lots of options combined, and for 2.0.5 there will be support for picking subtotals and totals for data elements and categories directly when defining indicator formulas.

4.         How can I get disaggregations in a "banked" way (e.g. like default input format) for reports?

The default input format (data collection form) can be printed with raw or aggregated data using the dataset report functionality. You could also use the report tables for data element dimensions (categories).

Right now that is only possible in external tools and using your custom sql, but will be supported in report tables from 2.0.5. At least to have report tables aggregated by orgunit groups within one group set, e.g by facility type in stead of the individual facilities themselves.

6.         Can I create org groups/data elements based on indicators (e.g. high incidence/low incidence districts)?

Sounds like a great idea, but not supported. We should write up a blueprint for this.
For now you could set up Excel pivot tables that would give you this kind of data analysis view to the data.

7.         How can I get data on a period per column basis?  How can I get both period per column and cumulative or year-to-date ?  How can I get period per column with corresponding period of previous years?

Report tables with the period dimension ticked as one of the cross tab dimensions. Under relative periods you could select both reporting month and this_month_last_year, and if periods are crosstabbed and you select reporting month as a parameter then you would get these two columns in your report table, and combined with a few selected indicators on columns if you tick indicators as crosstab, or simply list indicators on the rows of one indicator column if not set as cross tab.

8.         If I have to build SQL for some of these, can I store this SQL for later reuse?  Can I trigger the SQL to run during roll-ups?

Jason has been working on something like this I think. I know that there are plans for 2.0.5 to build in a few so called pivot views (sql queries) into the system, but don’t know the details, and I’m not sure they will be completely custom for the 2.0.5 release.

9.         What are the mechanics of locking for roll-up and report generation?  Do I have to worry about people running reports during monthly peak data entry load?

I guess you could block the datamart module for some of the users and make sure a system admin generates the necessary datamarts for all users. For reports it is possible to run the reports from existing data source, so if one users has already generated a report for March 2010 then the report table is already populated and can be reused by other users later. We could think of ways to block the option to run the report with new data source (which triggers the aggregation process), but that sounds complicated. For now what you could do is to train users to use the right button for running reports.

I was wondering if somebody would have some time for a phone call or some type of internet work sharing to help me with some of this stuff.

Not today, but maybe tomorrow. I’m a bit rushed now preparing for my Sierra Leone trip on Sunday. I will be there all next week.

WE really need to get our acts together and document all of this… sorry.

Ola

···

On 29 April 2010 14:07, Friedman, Roger (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov wrote:

Thanks, Roger

Hi Roger,

I think the kind of data values you are talking about here would fit under what we in DHIS call the OnChange PeriodType (frequency).

A dataset with onChange data such as your site surveys, which sounds similar to the WHO Service Availability Mapping (SAM) dataset, has “floating” validity periods for the values rather than fixed routine periods. If a facility reports that it has 10 maternity beds in 05.01.2010 then you would get a datavalue with a start date of 05.01.2010 and an enddate of 31.12.9999. Then when something changes, say in 10.12.2010 they get another 2 beds, so totally 12 beds, then you would enter the new value 12 with a start date of 10.12.2010. What happens then is that you get two values in the system, one with the value 10 with start date 05.01.2010 and end date 09.12.2010, and then the new value 12 with start date 10.12.2010 and end date 31.12.9999. So when you run a report for January 2011 or later, the valid data value would be 12, while the value for used for reports for Nov 2010 would be 10. For Dec it would be an average for the month, weighed on the number of days each value is valid in that month (since the change took place in the middle of the month). That is the logic of data values registered for data elements with the OnChange PeriodType.

Unfortunately I don’t think this is fully implemented yet, at least I am not sure that you can create a dataset and enter data for these types of periods. It has been in the pipeline for some time, but been delayed due to other more pressing features. The business logic of storing and processing such values are in place though, so it is “only” a matter of adding this functionality to the data entry process I think. Lars or others, please correct me if I am wrong here, don’t really have time to check this right now.

Roger, would this feature cater for your site survey data needs? If not, what would be needed do you think?

Ola

···

On 30 April 2010 14:52, Friedman, Roger (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov wrote:

Ola –

Sorry not to get back to you sooner.  Thanks for the info. 
        Re 2, site surveys are conducted on a rolling 5-year cycle with new data added or revised when they open, when they are renovated or when they suffer a catastrophe.  So we are only interested in the most recent data.  Another use case of this would be using the most recent available data as a proxy for missing current data.

Thanks, Roger

Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:45 AM

Cc: dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net; DHIS 2 developers; Johan Ivar Sæbø

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-devs] Request for Assistance

Hi Roger,

Lot’s of good questions and reminders that our documentation on reports is not completed.

I don’t have a lot of time right now, but will try to give you some pointers anyway. I’ll try to find more time tomorrow to continue, and hopefully others like Edem and Jason could join in.

See my text inline…

On 29 April 2010 14:07, Friedman, Roger (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov wrote:

Listers –

Aggregation of data takes place either as a stand-alone data mart process which populates two database tables (aggregateddatavalue and aggregatedindicatorvalue), or as a built in service to some of the other tools (report tables and charts, and perhaps more…).

http://dhis-developers-list.1563109.n2.nabble.com/Aggregation-in-the-datamart-and-orgunit-level-specification-tt4627202.html#a4627378

but that part definitely lacks in the manual. A more conceptual introduction to how DHIS aggregates data up the hierarchy and across time can be found in section 9.1 of the manual.

Datamart is mainly needed for external reporting tools that are not integrated into the DHIS2, like Excel pivot tables. The mapping component also still requires manual datamart exports I think (although that needs to change).

Report tables (Service->Reports->report Table) are a bit like the datamart, but more specified reporting data sources with names written out( not only IDs), with cross tab options (periods, data elements, indicators, or categories) on columns, and they can be set up with relative periods (reporting month) and orgunit parameters to be easily reusable with e.g. the same monthly report template design from BIRT every month.

Report tables can be linked to report design templates in the integrated BIRT or Jasper reports module (Service->Reports->Standard Report).

I would guess that either BIRT reports or Jasper (designed in iReport) combined with report tables, and sometimes to your custom sql datasets would meet many of your reporting needs.

I am not sure I understand your question, could you clarify a bit more or use an example?

When you run a predefined report table that has reporting month as a parameter then the report table gets populated with the month selected by the user, would that help? A BIRT report design linked to a report table would then get the same parameter popup before generating the report, if set up as a standard report in DHIS with reference to the design template and the report table(s) needed.

The report table supports categories crosstabbed on columns and include subtotals and totals for those categories. Have a look at the report table type called Data Element Dimensions Table. When defining indicators you must add together the various categoryoptioncombos to form your partial roll-ups, this right now is a bit tedious if you have lots of options combined, and for 2.0.5 there will be support for picking subtotals and totals for data elements and categories directly when defining indicator formulas.

The default input format (data collection form) can be printed with raw or aggregated data using the dataset report functionality. You could also use the report tables for data element dimensions (categories).

Right now that is only possible in external tools and using your custom sql, but will be supported in report tables from 2.0.5. At least to have report tables aggregated by orgunit groups within one group set, e.g by facility type in stead of the individual facilities themselves.

Sounds like a great idea, but not supported. We should write up a blueprint for this.

For now you could set up Excel pivot tables that would give you this kind of data analysis view to the data.

Report tables with the period dimension ticked as one of the cross tab dimensions. Under relative periods you could select both reporting month and this_month_last_year, and if periods are crosstabbed and you select reporting month as a parameter then you would get these two columns in your report table, and combined with a few selected indicators on columns if you tick indicators as crosstab, or simply list indicators on the rows of one indicator column if not set as cross tab.

Jason has been working on something like this I think. I know that there are plans for 2.0.5 to build in a few so called pivot views (sql queries) into the system, but don’t know the details, and I’m not sure they will be completely custom for the 2.0.5 release.

I guess you could block the datamart module for some of the users and make sure a system admin generates the necessary datamarts for all users. For reports it is possible to run the reports from existing data source, so if one users has already generated a report for March 2010 then the report table is already populated and can be reused by other users later. We could think of ways to block the option to run the report with new data source (which triggers the aggregation process), but that sounds complicated. For now what you could do is to train users to use the right button for running reports.

Not today, but maybe tomorrow. I’m a bit rushed now preparing for my Sierra Leone trip on Sunday. I will be there all next week.

Ola

Thanks, Roger

Thanks, Ola.

I am still grokking the idea of DHIS2 interpolating or averaging automatically when the period covered by a report is a sub-period of, crosses the boundary of, or contains multiple reporting periods for its data elements.  The solution seems to require extensive logic, I need to understand it better and get comfortable with it.  Further, because periodicity is a property of the data set, I need to think about whether it would always apply to all the members of the dataset, or if not the consequences for data entry.

So much to learn, so little time.
···

Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 9:33 AM

To: Friedman, Roger (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) (CTR); dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Cc: Johan Ivar Sæbø

Hi Roger,

I think the kind of data values you are talking about here would fit under what we in DHIS call the OnChange PeriodType (frequency).

A dataset with onChange data such as your site surveys, which sounds similar to the WHO Service Availability Mapping (SAM) dataset, has “floating” validity periods for the values rather than fixed routine periods. If a facility reports that it has 10 maternity beds in 05.01.2010 then you would get a datavalue with a start date of 05.01.2010 and an enddate of 31.12.9999. Then when something changes, say in 10.12.2010 they get another 2 beds, so totally 12 beds, then you would enter the new value 12 with a start date of 10.12.2010. What happens then is that you get two values in the system, one with the value 10 with start date 05.01.2010 and end date 09.12.2010, and then the new value 12 with start date 10.12.2010 and end date 31.12.9999. So when you run a report for January 2011 or later, the valid data value would be 12, while the value for used for reports for Nov 2010 would be 10. For Dec it would be an average for the month, weighed on the number of days each value is valid in that month (since the change took place in the middle of the month). That is the logic of data values registered for data elements with the OnChange PeriodType.

Unfortunately I don’t think this is fully implemented yet, at least I am not sure that you can create a dataset and enter data for these types of periods. It has been in the pipeline for some time, but been delayed due to other more pressing features. The business logic of storing and processing such values are in place though, so it is “only” a matter of adding this functionality to the data entry process I think. Lars or others, please correct me if I am wrong here, don’t really have time to check this right now.

Roger, would this feature cater for your site survey data needs? If not, what would be needed do you think?

Ola

On 30 April 2010 14:52, Friedman, Roger (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov wrote:

Ola –

Sorry not to get back to you sooner.  Thanks for the info. 

Re 2, site surveys are conducted on a rolling 5-year cycle with new data added or revised when they open, when they are renovated or when they suffer a catastrophe.  So we are only interested in the most recent data.  Another use case of this would be using the most recent available data as a proxy for missing current data.

Thanks, Roger

Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:45 AM

Cc: dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net; DHIS 2 developers; Johan Ivar Sæbø

Hi Roger,

See my text inline…

Listers –

Ola

Thanks, Roger

Using 2.0.3, attempting to create all four resource files, received the following error:

• ERROR 11:04:26,812 Error while executing action (ExceptionInterceptor.java [http-8080-1])

java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to add objects

at org.amplecode.quick.batchhandler.AbstractBatchHandler.addObject(AbstractBatchHandler.java:195)

at org.hisp.dhis.resourcetable.DefaultResourceTableService.generateOrganisationUnitStructures(DefaultResourceTableService.java:162)

…SNIP…

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction

at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:1055)

at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:956)

… 93 more

At this point, orgunitstructure is empty; orgunitgroupsetstructure appears to be fully built; orgunitgroupsetexclusivestructure has orgunitids but no exclusive groups; categoryoptioncomboname contains only id 1 default.

Seems like it might be a MySQL setting issue, any suggestions?

Thanks, Roger

···

How do booleans aggregate (a) across time periods; (b) up the organizational tree. The answer for (b) appears to be OR, was hoping for COUNT.

How do booleans aggregate (a) across time periods; (b) up the organizational tree. The answer for (b) appears to be OR, was hoping for COUNT.

Hi,

it depends on the aggregation operator for the relevant data element. If SUM, then its count. If AVG, then its the percentage of true’s.

Lars

···

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Friedman, Roger (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov wrote:

Using 2.0.3, attempting to create all four resource files, received the following error:

• ERROR 11:04:26,812 Error while executing action (ExceptionInterceptor.java [http-8080-1])

at org.amplecode.quick.batchhandler.AbstractBatchHandler.addObject(AbstractBatchHandler.java:195)

at org.hisp.dhis.resourcetable.DefaultResourceTableService.generateOrganisationUnitStructures(DefaultResourceTableService.java:162)

…SNIP…

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction

… 93 more

At this point, orgunitstructure is empty; orgunitgroupsetstructure appears to be fully built; orgunitgroupsetexclusivestructure has orgunitids but no exclusive groups; categoryoptioncomboname contains only id 1 default.

Thanks, Roger

Yes looks like a Mysql issue. I am testing on postgres on a daily basis, will install mysql and investigate further.

Lars

···

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Friedman, Roger (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov wrote:

Not sure if it is related really, but for MySql are you using MyIsam
or InnoDB? I think DHIS2 requires InnoDB?

···

2010/5/4 Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@gmail.com>:

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Friedman, Roger (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) (CTR) > <rdf4@cdc.gov> wrote:

Using 2.0.3, attempting to create all four resource files, received the
following error:

* ERROR 11:04:26,812 Error while executing action
(ExceptionInterceptor.java [http-8080-1])

at
org.amplecode.quick.batchhandler.AbstractBatchHandler.addObject(AbstractBatchHandler.java:195)

at
org.hisp.dhis.resourcetable.DefaultResourceTableService.generateOrganisationUnitStructures(DefaultResourceTableService.java:162)

...SNIP...

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try
restarting transaction

... 93 more

At this point, orgunitstructure is empty; orgunitgroupsetstructure appears
to be fully built; orgunitgroupsetexclusivestructure has orgunitids but no
exclusive groups; categoryoptioncomboname contains only id 1 default.

Thanks, Roger

Yes looks like a Mysql issue. I am testing on postgres on a daily basis,
will install mysql and investigate further.
Lars

--
Cheers,
Knut Staring